SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was getting bored at work and shopped for some performance muffler. I do not expect to get more power but though that coupled with my open intake I would improve furthermore the sound.

If I buy a muffler, what diameter should it be to be compatible with my s60 2.4t 2001 ? 3inches?

Also, lets say I do like playing on my car, is it as simple as cutting the stock exhaust pipe just before the exhaust and tightening the new muffler with clamps or I should have it welded by some professionals ?

Also, second question is: should I expect some surprises with the new muffler that I would need to tune my car for it to work correctly or it would be ''fit it and drive away'' ?

ps: car is in great shape, had the timing belt replaced, oil change, new intake, spark plugs. I do not want to ruin it, I would hope to get a more of a rawrrr sound. :D

·
Registered
581 Posts
So I was getting bored at work and shopped for some performance muffler. I do not expect to get more power but though that coupled with my open intake I would improve furthermore the sound.

If I buy a muffler, what diameter should it be to be compatible with my s60 2.4t 2001 ? 3inches?

Also, lets say I do like playing on my car, is it as simple as cutting the stock exhaust pipe just before the exhaust and tightening the new muffler with clamps or I should have it welded by some professionals ?

Also, second question is: should I expect some surprises with the new muffler that I would need to tune my car for it to work correctly or it would be ''fit it and drive away'' ?

ps: car is in great shape, had the timing belt replaced, oil change, new intake, spark plugs. I do not want to ruin it, I would hope to get a more of a rawrrr sound. :D
The stock size is 2.5" and I hear for best results you would want a 3" system. I have a straight Downpipe (3") that tapers down to 2.5" straight to the rear muffler. I removed the center muffler. It sounds nice, but you'll sacrifice some cabin quietness. I like the racket so sue me.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I hate to be a jerk but please don't do it this way. Spend the loot and do it the right way. You dont want a fart can on the end of this car

·
Registered
877 Posts
Honestly if I were you I would leave the exhaust work to the professionals. If your replacing the muffler then you'll need pipe work. If you want loud for cheap then have an exhaust shop put a piece of pipe in place of the muffler and the determine if u wanna remove the resonator as well (you could prolly do this with clamps)

However if you want a nice stainless steel cat back get the obx cat back on eBay great deal and u dont have to worry about going to an exhaust shop.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Honestly if I were you I would leave the exhaust work to the professionals. If your replacing the muffler then you'll need pipe work. If you want loud for cheap then have an exhaust shop put a piece of pipe in place of the muffler and the determine if u wanna remove the resonator as well (you could prolly do this with clamps)

However if you want a nice stainless steel cat back get the obx cat back on eBay great deal and u dont have to worry about going to an exhaust shop.
I would get the OBX system if I were you as well. I would have gone that route but I got a secondhand system from somebody on swedespeed ;)

·
Registered
2,192 Posts

The OBX system will not fit right out of the box. On S60R's it is 2.5 inches too long and 2 inches too wide, on regular S60's it is about 4 inches too long.

I installed mine myself after doing some cutting on the pipes, I still ended up taking it to a shop and having them rework the hangers and do some extra trimming.

It fits okay now, still slightly angled towards the passenger side where it meets the downpipe, the tips also stick out a little farther than I would like.

Don't expect it to be a direct fit, but you can buy it and the downpipe and have it installed for less than any other catback exhaust out there.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The stock diameter is actually 2.25" sorry had to be that guy.....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The stock diameter is actually 2.25" sorry had to be that guy.....
That's what I saw too after some research.

I've found some very good looking exhausts systems for the s60 but as my priorities are elsewhere, being my second car, used only for local commuting etc etc I would have to go for a good looking stainless cat back custom installed just to add a little bit of rawrrr, but I may bring it to a shop for install, the time saved would allow me to give it a good bath.

I tought about magnaflow, OBX is sexy as hell but still over my budget.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I actually did go with a magnaflow muffler a dynomax res and the obx downpipe, I couldnt be happier. I also increased the diameter of the exhaust to 3" and added a flange so if I want to be loud I can remove the magnaflow muffler and put in a straight pipe. All in all probably about $400-$450 total.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts