SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the "Monroe is making me scream" thread, someone posted up Autodoc for the 4c setup, which even with freight from Germany was cheaper than any US distributor I could find.
So I started digging in their website and found axles as well, seen here:
https://m.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/drive-shaft-10162/volvo/v70/v70-ii-sw/16925-r-2-5-t

Given the oem or die attitude, it's probably not worth the risk. But, who makes our axles? I see skf there along with several other brands, maybe Autodoc has the axles we need??? Maybe it's just easier to keep getting them rebuilt.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
GKN makes them. And they last forever...

·
Registered
236 Posts
It was me who posted about the Monroe shocks off them, they are based in Germany and apart from the dick move about apparently needing my passport to process my direct credit card payment (paypal was ok though)it was fine.
They have websites with several other euro domains, as much for language as anything I assume.
Shipping was either DHL or Fedex, and not bad at all for the weight of them.

I'd use them again if they were the best price like last time, but if there is any issue expect it to take 4 days and 5 different staff....

·
Registered
685 Posts
As above- GKN/Lobro makes the axles for our car. It's not worth messing around with rebuilds.

My original axle lasted about 12 years, replacement rebuilt about 2 years, NAPA rebuilt about 1 month, back to original Volvo.

When I pulled the rebuilt axle out for something else after a month, there was surface rust everywhere, the thing looked much worse for wear. I just recently pulled my new Volvo axle out for angle gear replacement and it looked brand new- no rust, looked pretty much exactly the same as when I put it in. I expect it to last another 10 years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts