SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volvo/v40/first-drives/volvo-v40-d4-se-nav

Now, before you even go to the link, there is another sub- editor's note from this report in the actual magazine and one aspect that absolutely outlines Volvo's intention for the V40, as well as giving insight into others on this forum who believe that the new V40 isn't a direct VW Golf / Ford Focus rival but a BMW 1 series rival:

"...What I find interesting about the V40 is Volvo's insistence that its rivals are the BMW 1 series and the Audi A3. Fine cars both, but this isn't a field Volvo have recently occupied. Instead they have been perceived, I think, as semi-premium motors; a cut above Vauxhall (GM) or Ford, but not quite entering the rarefied arena of the the true premium. Volvo wants to change that., but just saying it doesn't make it true...Volvo doesn't seem to want to like the V40 too much to VW's Golf, a car whose sales it would only need to pinch a few of to make a decent success of itself. After all, this D4 costs £24,795; to get similar power from a diesel five door Golf costs at least £25,560. It's terrific news that the V40 is as competitive as it is, but I think that sometimes marketing departments don't quite see it how buyers do. If cars are the same size and around the same price, that makes them rivals..." (Matt Prior)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts