SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've had my new XC90 for about a week now and one little thing is bugging me:

I've got the setting on so that when I drive over 10km/h or so, all the doors auto-lock. This is a feature I've had in my last 3 cars, so no biggie.

However, what's surprising on the new XC90 is that when I stop and turn the engine off, the car doesn't auto-unlock. Even if I open the door, I have to manually hit the unlock button to be able to open the rear doors from outside, say, to get my children out.

I find this a little oversight, in a car that has so many logic options allowing you to configure it. Does it bother anyone else?

As an interim measure I've disabled auto-lock and use the child lock instead, but would be nice if Volvo updated the software at some stage to include this. Does anyone know how to get them feedback?

·
Registered
415 Posts
100% agree. It bothers me too but there is no setting for auto-unlock. Hopefully it will be fixed during the November software upgrade

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yeah they should totally allow this to be configurable.

One thing you can do now at least is configure the keyless unlock to open either the drivers door only, driver and front passenger, or all doors. So you can set it up so you don't really have to hit a button to unlock the doors just not how you would like.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I checked it again today. I don't have a setting option to deactivate the auto-lock.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
100% agree. It bothers me too but there is no setting for auto-unlock. Hopefully it will be fixed during the November software upgrade
Very doubtful; no Volvo has ever had that option configured.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I look at the non-auto-unlocking doors of the Volvo as a security feature actually. Besides, with most Volvos coming with Keyless Go nowadays, all you have to do is pull the door handle with the key in your pocket or purse, and the door will unlock.

·
Registered
696 Posts
They never added auto-unlocking to the previous XC90, so I wouldn't get your hopes up. There must be some philosophical reason why Volvo does not want to offer this.

·
Registered
145 Posts
For safety reason you don't want the car to open the doors automatically. YOU want to control WHEN to open the doors and which doors to open! It has always been that way

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I've said for a long time now, I find it annoying it doesn't unlock the doors when I put the car into park so someone waiting to get in can get in.

I understand some don't like nor want that, but my previous cars unlocked once placed in park, so I'd at least like the option offered.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Being originally from Brazil I get that it might be a safety feature, but I now live in Australia where we are fortunate not to have to worry about it so it would be handy to have it selectable to be able to auto-unlock just as you can auto-lock.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I look at the non-auto-unlocking doors of the Volvo as a security feature actually. Besides, with most Volvos coming with Keyless Go nowadays, all you have to do is pull the door handle with the key in your pocket or purse, and the door will unlock.
Marc that sounds ok in principle but if I'm driving with the key in my pocket and then stop to let my wife and son out, she can open her door from inside but not the rear doors from outside as I have the key.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Marc that sounds ok in principle but if I'm driving with the key in my pocket and then stop to let my wife and son out, she can open her door from inside but not the rear doors from outside as I have the key.
All you have to do is (while you are seated at the driver's seat) push the unlock button to let them in. It's not something hard to do. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All you have to do is (while you are seated at the driver's seat) push the unlock button to let them in. It's not something hard to do. :)
Granted it isn't hard to do, but in that case neither is locking the car once you start moving.. Let's face it the car is full of comfort settings that go above and beyond so I find it ok to hope for just one more.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Granted it isn't hard to do, but in that case neither is locking the car once you start moving.. Let's face it the car is full of comfort settings that go above and beyond so I find it ok to hope for just one more.
Once you start moving, the last thing most people would think about is locking the doors; think about it: you place the car in gear, you are busy checking mirrors, entering a road, merging on a larger road, etc. Way too busy. Hence, the prevalence of auto-LOCKING vs. auto-UNlocking.

Your request (or desire, should I say) to have auto-unlock, is not unreasonable. However, it is also a matter of philosophy and for Volvo, I suspect, it could be a matter of security. What we want may not be in our overall best interest. Every car has its own "idiosyncrasies".

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Your request (or desire, should I say) to have auto-unlock, is not unreasonable. However, it is also a matter of philosophy and for Volvo, I suspect, it could be a matter of security. What we want may not be in our overall best interest. Every car has its own "idiosyncrasies".
Here we go again with Volvo 'philosophy'. Philosophy that keeps changing and is a moving target. But some always saying philosophy is the reason no matter what the unexpected outcome is when there are many other possible explanations, just none they actually want to admit.

First Volvo's can't remote close their power tailgate, ahh, we're told Volvo being extra safe, then, thankfully, Volvo 'changes their mind?' and finally let's owners start remotely closing their power tailgates. So was the first decision still philoshophy or not? Wrong philosophy? Or just bad decision? I guess philoshopy changes?

I think it's time for RADICAL Volvo philosophy changes. It is getting really old how Volvo and quirky still go together.

What happened to human-centric enginneering?

Programmable auto unlock is available in many other cars for years now. The doors stay locked until the driver opens their door. Courtesy lighting, another thing somebody complained about, also not auto on Volvos but is auto programmable on many other cars.

Volvo needs to let owners customize their cars more like people are expecting.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Pattyweb,

The auto-UNlocking philosophy (sic) has been the same since I have ever known Volvo...

When you buy a car, you buy into what it represents, the philosophy that is built around it and in it. You don't like it? You have to make a choice then and weight the pros and cons vs what you like. If the pros outweigh the cons, you purchase that car. If the reverse exists, you move on.

European cars, in general, are built on a totally different set of values and features than domestics and Japanese which tend to be more gadget-prone.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Pattyweb, The auto-UNlocking philosophy (sic) has been the same since I have ever known Volvo...
And yet, the headlight high beam use to go one way, and now you've acknowledged in another thread Volvo changed it for the XC90. So volvo can change. Volvo was against touch, now it's all touch. Now we've got people with rebooting touchscreens. They even changed how the cruise control buttons work, not even euopean brands do what Volvo is doing now which is just NOT natural or intuitive. Philosophy evolves and changes over time. Sometimes, it's just wrong and stubborn.

From what I recall, most european cars don't have remote start, audis, mercedes, etc, don't, and yet Volvo managed to get past that and finally offer it, yeah!, although a quirky version of it. Still better than nothing at all.

Volvo philosophy is green planet, save gas, and yet Volvo lets this remote start feature evolve into something that goes against all prior philosphy as now owners can not as easily remote start their car at close distance since it's only a phone app. Now I guess you're saying Volvo 'philosophy' has changed to think that people really want to remote start their cars from much greater distances and waste more gas in the process? Does that work with green planet? Or maybe this is about another 'philosophy' called making money via recurring monthly charges? The irony, people goto keyless entry because pushing a button is so hard, but now, pushing the button to unlock the doors is not so hard. And yet now they can't even push a button to remote start their car. Now Volvo thinks it's easier to pull out a phone, unlock it, find the app, enter the app, wait for it to connect, and then start the car, and do all this between the register with the bags one is carrying and the car just outside? I don't get this. Volvo philosphy is that this remote start is easier to use, yet one's hands are so full, Volvo thinks they need to kick their foot to open the tailgate. Assuming that kick even works, lots have trouble with it.

When you buy a car, you buy into what it represents, the philosophy that is built around it and in it. You don't like it? You have to make a choice then and weight the pros and cons vs what you like. If the pros outweigh the cons, you purchase that car. If the reverse exists, you move on.

European cars, in general, are built on a totally different set of values and features than domestics and Japanese which tend to be more gadget-prone.
Volvo has made decisions that go against what is even expected in europe. Some Volvo decisions even contradict earlier Volvo decisions. IMO, this 'philosophy' card is worn out. There is no way to apply it consistently.

What's sad here is that it's so many trivial things that IMO don't really have anything to do with philosophy and just make for a more enjoyable and customizable car. People take stuff for granted. They are use to stuff in other cars. It's really annoying when something common (even if per country) is not available on what is labelled a modern 'premium' vehicle in THAT country. If you think that Volvo does NOT want to offer these customizable setting because now you think europeans don't want them, well, just like US bound Volvo get US maps, I don't see why customizable settings couldn't be enabled per region. There is a simple solution, Volvo stop fighting it.

Reminds me driving my brand new 'premium' V70 home in the drizzle only THEN to find out that my most expensive purchase at that point in time did not come with interval wipers, something my much much cheaper 10 year old maxima did come with. 10years have passed and a twice as expensive car can't offer interval wipers. And finally, years later, Volvo offered interval wipers standard. Should people really need be checking for these types of trivial "pampering" features?

What I've learned from Volvo, and only Volvo, is don't take anything for granted. Just cause your 20k car could do it, doesn't mean Volvo can, or will, or wants to, at least right now. Maybe 15 years later they will?

Volvo philoshopy (except safety) is all over the place. There is no consistent pattern by any country's standard. This is why Volvos are labelled quirky, more so than any other brand I've seen. Why does it seem Volvo goes out of it's way to try and preserve this image?

This is a trivial feature but it does make a car more enjoyable by "pampering" the owner. Volvo should offer it (and a lot of others) as a customizable setting (even if just in the US).

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I see the usefulness of a setting for "auto unlock doors when parked", though I don't want this turned on, it helps people when they really want it. But what if you sometimes don't want people open doors from outside? Then you'll need to press lock button explicitly.

My current car has "auto unlock doors when engine stopped and driver door is opened" which is helpful because my young passengers are used to the unlocking sound then feel safe to get off. On another car I need to press unlock button separately but I am fine with it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I live in Europe aand owned only european cars, including some other Volvos, but this is the first time that opening driver's door you cannot open other passenger's doors, I am not discussing about philosphy, but still it is annoying.

·
Registered
54 Posts
BMWs and Audis sold in the US can't remote close their power tailgates either. Nor can they remote/auto close windows, while the same exact car sold in Europe can. Of course you can reprogram the cars to whatever behavior you like. Is that an option with Volvo out of curiosity?

My F25 X3 35i doesn't have any of those features (including auto unlock of the rear passenger doors) without recoding the car. Same car built in the U.S. but sold in Europe has all three features enabled from the (same) factory.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts