SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an option that will unlock all doors when I place it in park? Its not doing it and I dont see the option in setup. It locks every door when I put it in drive but doesn't unlock...Drives me nuts because I have to unlock the door for everyone in the car before they can get out....??

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
There's been some discussion of the locking and unlocking behavior in some other threads. As far as I know, it's not currently possible to auto unlock when you switch into park. However, passengers should be able to exit without a problem and the doors will auto-unlock when the door handle is opened. If I recall, the issues other people were needing to manually unlock for passengers to enter, and the car automatically locking and alarming with the key and a passenger inside if the engine is turned off for two minutes.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Yep, been discussed. I completely agree and told Volvo this firsthand, an OPTION to unlock all doors when placed in park would be welcome. I say option so those who have reasons why they wouldn't want this will remain happy but the other half of us can also be made happy. How hard programming wise can this be to be made an option anyway, it's how my previous vehicles worked.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
For the record and if volvos listening, I would like it too! I think in general the locks and lights should be much more customizable.

Paradox you have the same issue, not being able to exit from the passenger seat without manually unlocking? I'll double check mine but almost certain the door handle overrides the lock in my car, from inside.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Is there an option that will unlock all doors when I place it in park? Its not doing it and I dont see the option in setup. It locks every door when I put it in drive but doesn't unlock...Drives me nuts because I have to unlock the door for everyone in the car before they can get out....??
I adjusted my entry settings so that all doors open when within range of the vehicle with the key. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe all passengers can also pull the handle to unlock and exit when in Park. Perhaps it is tied to that setting? Just a guess...

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I am rarely if ever a passenger in my vehicle but I think when EXITING and the doors are locked a double pull of the INSIDE handle opens the door; first pull basically unlocks and the second pull opens the door.

I can live with that but passengers wouldn't have to do that if the doors simply unlocked when placed in park. I dislike it more when I pull up somewhere for people to get in and if I forget to unlock the doors they are all pulling handles.

This probably affects some more then others because of previous vehicles they owned and how they operated. All of mine unlocked when placed in park.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I am rarely if ever a passenger in my vehicle but I think when EXITING and the doors are locked a double pull of the INSIDE handle opens the door; first pull basically unlocks and the second pull opens the door.

I can live with that but passengers wouldn't have to do that if the doors simply unlocked when placed in park. I dislike it more when I pull up somewhere for people to get in and if I forget to unlock the doors they are all pulling handles.

This probably affects some more then others because of previous vehicles they owned and how they operated. All of mine unlocked when placed in park.
The double pull, et al are configurable in the 2016 XC60 settings.Hopefully, that feature comes back to the XC90. Everyone should check and set the child safety lock settings on the back doors to whatever they want. That can add frustration if the owner does not know how they are set from the factory.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Just checked mine and the passenger door works the same as the drivers door. The lock is still lit, but the door handle will override it from inside. I don't even need to pull twice, it just opens.

OP, unless your child lock is on you may have a problem, or I may just be lucky. I do have the same issue as everyone with having to manually unlock to let people in from outside.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I think it is back seat people who need to do the double pull when locked to get out.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, been discussed. I completely agree and told Volvo this firsthand, an OPTION to unlock all doors when placed in park would be welcome. I say option so those who have reasons why they wouldn't want this will remain happy but the other half of us can also be made happy. How hard programming wise can this be to be made an option anyway, it's how my previous vehicles worked.
Thanks for confirming. Very unfortunate. Every Honda Ody we've owned unlocks as does my new Escalade. In fact the Escalade has a setting to 'unlock all doors' in park.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
On a positive note, since the lock controls are all in the system already there is really nothing stopping Volvo from issuing an over-the-air update to add this setting.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
On a positive note, since the lock controls are all in the system already there is really nothing stopping Volvo from issuing an over-the-air update to add this setting.
That's what I'm hoping. That they see the requests and implement an update hopefully ota for simplicity.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I adjusted my entry settings so that all doors open when within range of the vehicle with the key. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe all passengers can also pull the handle to unlock and exit when in Park. Perhaps it is tied to that setting? Just a guess...
thanks but nope..not tied to that

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I've had that selected on mine since day 1 (I always program my vehicles to unlock all doors with one press of unlock on the fob or one touch on a door handle (is sks equipped) and as mentioned, it doesn't affect unlocking the doors when the vehicle is placed into Park.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it is back seat people who need to do the double pull when locked to get out.
Well...interesting.. a 'double pull' and it worked! While in park, just double pull on rear door handle and it unlocks....didn't see that in any manual.... thx Paradox...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Well...interesting.. a 'double pull' and it worked! While in park, just double pull on rear door handle and it unlocks....didn't see that in any manual.... thx Paradox...
Hmmm. Not sure what you guys are doing. :confused:

I just sat in the back of my car with the engine ON while in PARK. With the child-lock in the OFF position... I opened the doors with 1 pull - no double pull required. :thumbup:

Of course I do have the fob settings (as indicated above) to open all doors too, if that makes any difference.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

I just sat in the back of my car with the engine ON while in PARK. With the child-lock in the OFF position... I opened the doors with 1 pull - no double pull. :thumbup:

Of course I do have the fob settings (as indicated above) to open all doors too, if that makes any difference.
When the doors are locked, as long as the child lock is not enabled, you will need to pull the door handle twice in order for the door to open. First pull unlocks the door, second pull opens it. Every Volvo model has this incorporated into its locking system.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts

I just sat in the back of my car with the engine ON while in PARK. With the child-lock in the OFF position... I opened the doors with 1 pull - no double pull required. :thumbup:

That doesn't impact this. If you have someone get in the back seat and go driving around and then stop later without doing anything, when they try to get out of the rear doors they have to pull twice. At least that is how mine has been.

Now, that doesn't bother me at all. What does is that after driving and the doors auto lock, they do not auto unlock once placed in park. This thread has discussing many things at this point and many are getting intermingled.

Edit: Grecian just explained the 2 pull of the door handle better for you better.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts