SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So I was having seriously hard downshifts from 3rd to 2nd. especcially when I was in hot weather. So a couple months back I used a case of the toyota trans fluid and did a drain and fill through the trans cooler line while car was running. It made things ALOT better but when it warms up I still get a thud shift from 3rd to 2nd and even the upshifts seems a little slow and jerky.

I was wondering if anyone has used any sort of addiitve and had good results. I stay away from them usually especially since my hard shifts before came a month after adding the lucas stuff. Do you recommend another trans flush? The color never turned bright red even right after the new stuff was in. It stayed a little dark so I know some old was left in and mixed with the new. I could do it again but it cost 80 bux so I dont wanna just waste the money.

Just any suggestions would help.

Thanks

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might be wrong, but I think the 3rd to 2nd downshift thud is caused by the sudden increase in torque and sudden shock to the lower motor mount. I believe you can minimize or eliminate it by upgrading your lower motor mount with something like this: http://www.vivaperformance.com/upgraded-lower-motor-mount-s40-v50-and-c30-c70/.
Thanks, but ya Ive replaced them all with the upgraded stuff. I was thinking about somehow putting my own mount on, or making a rigid mount there instead but idk. anyway to decrease that increase in torque? prob not I assume

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think there was a software update that also attempted to make the 3rd to 2nd downshift smoother.

lol these are great suggestions, thank you very much...but sadly Ive done software updates as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Thanks, but ya Ive replaced them all with the upgraded stuff. I was thinking about somehow putting my own mount on, or making a rigid mount there instead but idk. anyway to decrease that increase in torque? prob not I assume
"Upgraded"? How exactly? A stiffer motor mount will definitely transmit more harshness. Engine mounts do not "increase torque" however. They are merely hunks of rubber.

Have you checked your upper mount, the one the engine hangs from on the passenger side wheel well? If that mount is broken (not uncommon), the engine can flop around. Try driving, carefully, with the hood open and watch the engine when the shift issue happens.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Upgraded"? How exactly? A stiffer motor mount will definitely transmit more harshness. Engine mounts do not "increase torque" however. They are merely hunks of rubber.

Have you checked your upper mount, the one the engine hangs from on the passenger side wheel well? If that mount is broken (not uncommon), the engine can flop around. Try driving, carefully, with the hood open and watch the engine when the shift issue happens.
Yes all engine mounts are new. I wasnt trying to change the torque at all lol. I was thinking a stiffer mount would limit the movement of the whole engine in the bay. Ive watched it shift on a dyno and it moves around alot. Ive used solid engine mounts before and apart from a little more vibration in the cab they hold the engine much tighter...obviously

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update.

I put in lubegaurd designed for Toyota Type IV fluid and its running about 50% better. it shift better and smoother. I still have a slight thud from 3rd to 2nd but its alot better now.

I would recommend lubegaurd for the 05 auto transmission at this point.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just an update.

I put in lubegaurd designed for Toyota Type IV fluid and its running about 50% better. it shift better and smoother. I still have a slight thud from 3rd to 2nd but its alot better now.

I would recommend lubegaurd for the 05 auto transmission at this point.
So is this the additive that you used? http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-113/LUBEGARD+Platinum+Universal+ATF+Protectant

I also made the mistake of adding Lucas Trans-fix during my first fluid change at 100K miles... I was already suffering from harsh downshifts and an issue where it would seem to lug momentarily before dissengaging at a stop. After the fluid change w/ additive, the symptoms changed slightly as did the harsh downshifts which seemed a bit "tighter". I did another 12qt. (pure) change a couple weeks later and there was a huge improvement towards normalcy... Still odd at times between 3rd/2nd and dropping into 1st at a stop.

In defense of Lucas, I think I used their product for a symptom that was outside of what the bottle promised. The Lubegard mentions "reduced friction" and "eliminates chatter". Might be what i need. In the meantime, I'll check for software updates and maybe do another fluid change. Not sure if I should start with the additive or refresh the fluid, test, then add.... In reality, it feels like I'm trying to stall off an issue that will someday transfer all of my rainy day money into the greasy palms of the Tranny Guy....

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So is this the additive that you used? http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-113/LUBEGARD+Platinum+Universal+ATF+Protectant

I also made the mistake of adding Lucas Trans-fix during my first fluid change at 100K miles... I was already suffering from harsh downshifts and an issue where it would seem to lug momentarily before dissengaging at a stop. After the fluid change w/ additive, the symptoms changed slightly as did the harsh downshifts which seemed a bit "tighter". I did another 12qt. (pure) change a couple weeks later and there was a huge improvement towards normalcy... Still odd at times between 3rd/2nd and dropping into 1st at a stop.

In defense of Lucas, I think I used their product for a symptom that was outside of what the bottle promised. The Lubegard mentions "reduced friction" and "eliminates chatter". Might be what i need. In the meantime, I'll check for software updates and maybe do another fluid change. Not sure if I should start with the additive or refresh the fluid, test, then add.... In reality, it feels like I'm trying to stall off an issue that will someday transfer all of my rainy day money into the greasy palms of the Tranny Guy....

Yup, thats what I used. Its actually running very nicely now. About 500 miles on it. I know its probably a bigger problem that I am also stalling, but considering the number of people who have replaced the whole trans and still have the issue I am just saving up some money to buy a new Ford. They make their own trans, rather then sub out to Aisin anymore. My Brother in law has the new taurus and its BA. A truely solid AWD car with power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts