SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
So, I had been thinking about doing this since I first got my '94 850 Turbo wagon...a back-burner project.
For the last few months my car had been acting up...the usual upshift indicator blinking, maybe the PNP switch, maybe a shift solenoid...would come and go. At times it would act like it was stuck in 3rd gear, then would be fine for days or weeks.
Today was the tragic turning point! The car started acting like it was downshifting from 3rd to 1st and bypassing 2nd. Going up a slight hill it started losing a bit of power, put my foot into it a little to downshift....RPM's go up, but car's not moving any faster. Uh oh!!!!!
Making a short story long....my backburner project just got moved to the front.
If anyone has all the stuff I need to do the conversion (or can point me in the right direction) I would very much appreciate it!! I am in the Seattle area, just on the off-chance someone local can hook me up.

Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
51 Posts
i personally dont have any experience when it comes to that but ive seen on other forums that all you really need are...
-manual gearbox out of non turbo/non american 850 (derp lol)
-upgraded clutch
-engine jack thingy lolz
- manual throttle body or throttle cable(not too sure which one lol)
-and a lot of patience

anyway dude hopefully i helped if not you can tell me that im a dumb teenager lol good luck man

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
you'll also need the shifter itself,, with cables, the clutch and brake setup (complete unit) the clutch master sylinder, and a flywheel. no flywheel on thw automatics, but something similar, think its called a torque plate or whatnot. anyways, not something you can use in a manual.

and as said above, patience. order some extra off ebay, just in case. takes loads of it, and runs out fast.

·
Registered
628 Posts
This thread is super helpful for doing a manual swap: http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/78328-what-to-know-about-a-manual-swap/

It can be done in a weekend with a decent set of hand tools and an engine hoist/cherry picker. Or you can drop the subframe and trans from the bottom if you have an engine support, but doing it that way is a pain in the ass IMO unless you have access to a lift.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Chris, where in the Seattle-area are you? I'm across the water in Bremerton, and have been picking parts off a '93 5-spd 850. The tranny is still there, and I've already pulled the shifter/cables, and pedals. They want $200 for the tranny, and we could work something out for the parts I've already got.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not much to add other than wouldnt mind giving you a hand if you needed any help, just not sure how soon ill be moving out the seattle just yet :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts