SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Freaked out this morning! My MY19 XC-60 T5 was auto stopped (shut off) at a busy intersection waiting for red light to change. Green light came - I stepped on gas slowly to restart and nothing happened. Tried again with gas pedal but no dice. Turned on flashers to let backed up traffic behind to know I was in trouble.

Turned ignition knob on and off several times after putting car trans into park. Finally started. What’s up with this? I had put drive mode in ECO earlier to try it out. Usually I use Individual drive mode. Only have ~1500 miles on the car.

Anybody have this happen? Fixes?

·
Registered
364 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I did more research and see the same issue on the xc90 board and also in older xc60s where you can’t disable A/S/S. With MY 19, I can turn off the ASS (it’s hard to type the slashes!). Which I have done. Also scheduled my first shop visit next week. My shop advisor has heard of this issue a few times.

BTW, when this happened, I didn’t hear any starter clicks when I tried to manually restart. It only restarted after several attempts then waiting 25-30 seconds at the intersection blocking traffic with my flashers on. (Flashers worked good!)

I tried it out today in ECO mode with slow/coasting to a stop, then slow like a snail lifting off the brake. Roughly 8-10 times and it auto started fine.

G.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I did more research and see the same issue on the xc90 board
I posted a similar problem on the XC90 board https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?596933-Start-stop-but-won-t-restart&highlight=restart

Just happened again today. Briefly recapping my experience:
- April 2019 at 51,000 miles (yes, just out of warranty!) A/S/S stopped and didn't restart. Happened sporadically 3 or 4 times over a few days of driving. Then died completely in my driveway (wouldn't start at all). Dealer found only "loose battery connection"
- October 2019 - A/S/S stopped and didn't restart twice in two days. Dealer again found a different(?) loose battery connection which he tightened.
- After driving with A/S/S turned off (manually each time as older models cannot turn it off permanently), I've had A/S/S back on for a couple of days, and now had the same stop but no restart issue (this time thankfully at a gas station and not in traffic).

When engine dies dash displayed something like "engine off, but vehicle not in Park".

I tried shifting to Park (which, in this state does not engage any parking brake - so be careful!) and restarting multiple times. Tried opening door to turn everything off and starting. No dice for 5 or 6 tries.

When trying to start ... i get nothing ... no clicks, no cranking. I did manage to capture a video of the dash dials going from 0 to 100% (as they normally do when you start), but then they go back to 0 (off).

Then magically it started.

My dealer can't find anything and Volvo's only solution was "try a ($200) software upgrade and see if it helps" which doesn't sound very encouraging.

I'll monitor the thread to see how your experience goes, and I'll post if I learn anything.

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
Maybe have to tow to dealer next time it happens. And need to keep your driving in town only. Such problem really sucks.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took vehicle to shop a week after the problem happened. They couldn’t find anything wrong so they did a “Total Software” reload that took 75 minutes. Only had that problem once and never was able to replicate. The journey continues.....

·
Registered
724 Posts
Took vehicle to shop a week after the problem happened. They couldn’t find anything wrong so they did a “Total Software” reload that took 75 minutes. Only had that problem once and never was able to replicate. The journey continues.....
You do know auto start/stop can be disabled, right?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, I know I can turn the A/S/S feature off. I guess I’m one if the few guys that like it and use it always. I figure that a lot of newer vehicles have this function and it works for them. I paid for it in the Volvo dream, So I’m willing to try it. I do mostly local city type driving with a lot of stop and starts and use the ECO and INDIVIDUAL drive modes. This is my first venture away from US made full sized SUVs in close to 25 years with good experiences there. Looking for a smaller vehicle that can last me 100-150,000 miles with a very comfortable drive still with some SUC utility. Until the SPA Volvo showed up, I was looking elsewhere. Now I’ve drunk the Kool-Aid ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Updated my post in the XC90 thread as it died completely (would not start at all). FWIW, I have a 2017 model which does not allow you to permanently disable the auto-start-stop feature so I would have to manually disable it each time I drive. But, I agree with GreyGhost that disabling the feature isn't really the point - if it's available it should work (or be fixed/recalled if it's a persistent, manufacturer-related safety problem -- which I think this is).

No root cause has been identified. Seems like grasping at straws by throwing software updates at the problem (which owners have to pay for once warranty expires).

This is turning my previously happy first-time-Volvo owner experience into a disappointment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts