SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 2016 XC90 the start/stop NEVER works. We have been to the dealer at least 3-4 times over the past 2 years for this and going in again this coming week. Dealer gave me a list of conditions that must be met for the auto stop/start to turn off but it NEVER works. They replaced the battery a few weeks ago. Seemed to work at the dealer but it never worked on the ride home or since. I posted about this maybe a year or so ago.
FYI we bought the car CPO from Volvo in August 2017, current mileage is at 49,7xx so original warranty is about to run out.
Does anyone have any thoughts on what is going on or what I can do?

·
Registered
32 Posts
First off, I'm jealous! I despise the start/stop on our 2016 R-Design. I wished the software would be compatible that allows it to be turned off for good. Second, as a CPO I think you might have a longer warranty. Ours is good until 100k if I'm not mistaken and we did "purchase" an extended warranty.

·
Registered
255 Posts
In my 2016 XC90 the start/stop NEVER works. We have been to the dealer at least 3-4 times over the past 2 years for this and going in again this coming week. Dealer gave me a list of conditions that must be met for the auto stop/start to turn off but it NEVER works. They replaced the battery a few weeks ago. Seemed to work at the dealer but it never worked on the ride home or since. I posted about this maybe a year or so ago.
FYI we bought the car CPO from Volvo in August 2017, current mileage is at 49,7xx so original warranty is about to run out.
I had this issue for some time after I bought my CPO and dealer kept it for couple of days and recharged the battery and since then had no problem with it but I understand your battery was also changed so I am guessing this might not be the fix for you.

·
Registered
255 Posts
First off, I'm jealous! I despise the start/stop on our 2016 R-Design. I wished the software would be compatible that allows it to be turned off for good. Second, as a CPO I think you might have a longer warranty. Ours is good until 100k if I'm not mistaken and we did "purchase" an extended warranty.
I don't understand why it won't turn off for good. Once you turn it off, I don't think it will turn on again until you turn it on.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Why would you want it to work?? I'd be delighted if I were you. Ours never worked (we bought the car used) and I was so grateful . . but then the main battery got replaced . . and it started working. Now I just have to turn it off each time I start the car.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I don't understand why it won't turn off for good. Once you turn it off, I don't think it will turn on again until you turn it on.
It can't be turned off permanently because these cars were homologated for emissions whith S/S enabled.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Volvo appreciates your continued beta testing of the FAIL S/S system...

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Volvo CPO Prior to November 2018 was 7 yrs / 100K.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. The feature was sold with the car and should work. Our CPO warranty is 7yrs 100k but the dealer was a bit fuzzy as to what exactly it covers. I get the feeling it covers most issues that the original 4yr 50k mile bumper to bumper but not all.
Do you think if I contacted Volvo directly there would be any luck with a buyback, I dont think Lemon Law would apply because we bought the car used?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the input. The feature was sold with the car and should work. Our CPO warranty is 7yrs 100k but the dealer was a bit fuzzy as to what exactly it covers. I get the feeling it covers most issues that the original 4yr 50k mile bumper to bumper but not all.
Do you think if I contacted Volvo directly there would be any luck with a buyback, I dont think Lemon Law would apply because we bought the car used?
You want a buyback because a horrible feature which should work but everyone hates doesn’t work in your car? So your car drives smoother than it should and you want Volvo to buy it back from you? Lol.

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Zero chance. This isn't a major issue like transmission failure, engine failure, brakes, etc. Likely causes are either it's too hot outside, too cold outside, or battery hasn't had ample time to charge due to your driving habits (Lots of stop and go, Short Trips in and out of stores, etc).

CPO covers pretty much every part except for items that wear (tires, brakes, wipers, pads, windshield glass if hit by a rock, etc).

I suggest you ask technician to do a ride along at dealership and check to see if start / stop is functioning as intended.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You want a buyback because a horrible feature which should work but everyone hates doesn’t work in your car? So your car drives smoother than it should and you want Volvo to buy it back from you? Lol.
Just because you and the majority don't like the feature doesn't mean there aren't a select few who do utilize the feature. I use the feature in all of my Volvo's and have noticed a huge improvement in fuel economy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was just curious what everyone thought, I thought I read a thread on Swedespeed that someone was offered either a buyback or trade assistance from Volvo for a similar issue.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was just curious what everyone thought, I thought I read a thread on Swedespeed that someone was offered either a buyback or trade assistance from Volvo for a similar issue.
For start/stop not functioning? You better search the forum to get details, sounds doubtful.

·
Registered
934 Posts
There was an update on the software that manages the battery charge to address this issue. I had a 2016 and Start/Stop was problematic, with a couple of batteries replaced under warranty. I have a 2018 now and it is perfect.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Doubtful

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Do you really want that crap to work?
Yes. I see no problem what so ever with using this feature on my S60.....I am sure all models have the ability to temporarily disable the feature after starting the vehicle. No clue if there's a permanent solution through Vida. Have to ask one of the techs here.

But I personally have no issues with the engine shutting off at a light...

·
Registered
277 Posts
To Mikeag60 the original poster, I've always used the auto start/stop and mine worked fine for 20,000 miles and then stopped working. They replaced the battery and that didn't solve the problem. The dealership consulted with the tech wizards in Sweden, and they suggested swapping out the BCSM module for one in another vehicle (I have no idea what that acronym stands for). That did the trick and it was fixed under warranty. I checked and the part is $320 (https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Volvo/Switch/12572964/31652295.html)

I have no idea how challenging it is to swap it out, but do know that after they did it, they did a hard battery reset to clear out all the systems.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine works very rarely unless battery has just been fully charged. But even then Volvo's S/S is unpredictable compared to my wife's Mazda, which clearly displays on the screen whether 3 conditions are met for S/S to work: engine temperature, interior temperature, battery charge.
And those are the conditions for XC90:

Conditions for Start/Stop Certain conditions must be met for the Start/ Stop feature to function. If a condition is not met, this will be indicated in the instrument panel.
The engine does not auto-stop In certain situations or conditions, the engine may not auto-stop when the vehicle comes to a standstill, such as when:
• the vehicle has not reached a speed of approx. 8 mph (12 km/h) after starting.
• after several auto-stops, the speed must again exceed approx. 8 mph (12 km/h) before the next auto-stop.
• the driver's seat belt is unbuckled.
• the main battery's charge is below the minimum level.
• the engine has not reached its normal operating temperature.
• the ambient temperature is below approx. 23°F (-5°C) or above approx. 85°F (30°C).
• the windshield's heating function* is activated.
• the climate system cannot keep the desired settings in the passenger compartment.
• the vehicle is backing up.
• the main battery's temperature is above or below the permitted limits.
• the driver is turning the steering wheel hard.
• the road's incline is very steep.
• the hood is opened.
• the transmission has not reached its normal operating temperature.
• driving at high altitude and the engine has not reached its normal operating temperature.
• the gear selector is in the manual shifting position.
• the ABS brakes have activated.
• hard braking (even if the ABS brakes have not activated).
• many starts during a short time period have triggered the starter motor's overheating protection.
• a trailer's electrical system is connected to the vehicle's electrical system.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts