SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was having trouble with my driver side HID bulb and did some trouble shooting. Ended up swapping the bulbs from side to side and it fixed the issue. Although, due to my exuberant troubleshooting I pulled the plug for the driver side auto leveling motor...needless to say the light took a dive. So, I took it to the dealer, because they were going to help me out at no cost, and due to my Eibachs they couldn't get the leveling to update or whatever it's called. They tried the lift the car up on the lift to stock ride height trick, managed to get the SUM calibrated, but not the headlights. Has anyone had this problem? I have manually adjusted the lights up as far as they can go and I am still SOL.:mad:

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Were the headlights off when the sum recal was done? I bet they were, in which case, you need to get it done again - this time with the headlights ON. Remember to lower the adjusters back down before you do it again.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were the headlights off when the sum recal was done? I bet they were, in which case, you need to get it done again - this time with the headlights ON. Remember to lower the adjusters back down before you do it again.
They were on. I am going to have to get someone else to help me because the next time the dealer is going to charge me.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to for sure adjust the lights down manually, but the dealer was clueless to this fix and I suggested raising the car up to calibrate it. I told them that the lights needed to be adjusted down first, but no matter how many times I suggested it never sinked in for them.

·
Registered
289 Posts
i'm having the same problem with my R. Had a recal twice and no worky. I need to confirm if the headlights were on when they did the calibration both times. However, if they were on when they did the recal, then i have a problem.

also, i thought if there was a problem with the car being lowered there should have been a error code to the effect of "ride height sensor out of range"?? the indy didn't tell me if they got that sort of msg when they did the recal. I have since shortened the rods to compensate for the lowered stance and i'll be taking it back to them to try again. this time checking for sure that the headlights will be ON.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm having the same problem with my R. Had a recal twice and no worky. I need to confirm if the headlights were on when they did the calibration both times. However, if they were on when they did the recal, then i have a problem.

also, i thought if there was a problem with the car being lowered there should have been a error code to the effect of "ride height sensor out of range"?? the indy didn't tell me if they got that sort of msg when they did the recal. I have since shortened the rods to compensate for the lowered stance and i'll be taking it back to them to try again. this time checking for sure that the headlights will be ON.
Yeah, the lights should be on. Initially the rear calibration didn't work and then when the car was lifter it did. For some reason the lights didn't calibrate, but the suspension did. How did you shorten the rods? Pics?

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
When adjusting the lights down be sure to not "bottom them out". Leave about 1-2 turns up from the bottomed out position. Then run the SUM recal with the lights in the ON position.

During the SUM recal process (on a lowered R) it will give you a Position Sensor out of voltage range error, if the driver side is reading over 3.5 volts or the passenger side is reading lower than 1.4 volts. To remedy this you need to adjust the Sensors connecting arms or for a quick fix jack up the rear end till the voltages read withing range.

Check out this thread for some details ---> LINKY

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I knew my favorite pirate would come to save the day. Took the R for a short drive last night and the head lights actually need to be adjusted down. So, despite the error on calibration at the dealer they seem to have unknowingly fixed the problem. I really need to get one of those sweet DiCE wireless units the dealer has.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
^^ I don't think that works for the later models.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
I know for a fact this doesn't work in my '06 or my friends '07, I'm just not sure about the '05.

Pulling the fuse in the '06/'07 slams the headlights straight down and no amount of up adjustment is enough to be safe for night driving.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know for a fact this doesn't work in my '06 or my friends '07, I'm just not sure about the '05.

Pulling the fuse in the '06/'07 slams the headlights straight down and no amount of up adjustment is enough to be safe for night driving.
Yeah, for sure. After this I will never screw with this system. Auto leveling lights FTL. Also, reflector HID FTL. If only I could wire in a 55w ballast instead of the stock 35w. Seems like it would be less expensive than a set of Euro lights with no real reason to use high beams. Waiting for the peeps to chime in with the " you'll blind oncoming traffic" comments. :p

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts