SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wondered if the headlights/taillights turn on automatically when I have the windshield wipers on when it is still light out. Does anyone know if they do? If so, do they turn on when the wipers are set to auto, intermittent, normal, or high speed? In my state, it is the law that you have to have your headlights/taillights on when you are using your windshield wipers.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I don't have auto headlights but doubt that they come on with wipers, especially when on rain sensing setting.
What do you see when you turn the wipers on and go out and look at the headlights?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've always wondered if the headlights/taillights turn on automatically when I have the windshield wipers on when it is still light out. Does anyone know if they do? If so, do they turn on when the wipers are set to auto, intermittent, normal, or high speed? In my state, it is the law that you have to have your headlights/taillights on when you are using your windshield wipers.
They're based on the light censor pointing to the front of the car. I've seen some light sensors built into the interior mirror, though my car has a slight red shark fin sensor on the top of the dash - my radio dims/headlights turn on when I cover it with my sun shade

You don't have to worry about tail lights (tail lights are always on when lights are on auto); though I'm not sure if your low beams will come on during a bright rain.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't have auto headlights but doubt that they come on with wipers, especially when on rain sensing setting.
What do you see when you turn the wipers on and go out and look at the headlights?
I have never checked. Just thought of it while browsing the forum and figured I would ask on here if anyone knew.

You don't have to worry about tail lights (tail lights are always on when lights are on auto); though I'm not sure if your low beams will come on during a bright rain.
The tail lights are always on regardless of outside light or wiper activation whenever we have the headlights set to auto? Are you sure about this? I feel like I would have noticed that before.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I believe the red thing you're seeing is the security indicator. The headlight sensor should be on the backside of the rearview mirror. My headlights will come on when I put up my sunshade, too.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
It is not on the rear view but indeed on the red sensor on the dash. I know because I used it to test my VDASH settings by throwing a book over the sensor in broad daylight.

The rears are always on in normal car mode (unless you enable the auto switch on pre facelift cars), regardless of headlamp setting.

Also, to your question, the lights do not enable with wiper function, only with measured light output.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, to your question, the lights do not enable with wiper function, only with measured light output.
I figured that was the case, but was hoping they were automatic with the wiper. Oh well.

Absolutely. Check out emgrock1's last post - the LED tail lights are on with low beams off in broad daylight.
The rears are always on in normal car mode (unless you enable the auto switch on pre facelift cars), regardless of headlamp setting.
Even though you guys gave me bad news on the auto headlight/wiper question, I'm glad I mentioned the tail lights because I didn't know this about them always being on in auto mode. It's actually a small pet peeve of mine when cars have their tail lights on during the day. So I tested this. Apparently our tail lights stay on in daylight in Auto mode only when the Daytime Running Light option is activated in the My Car settings. I have now disabled the Daytime Running Lights so my tail lights will only be on when my headlights are on. I will just have to remember to manually turn them on when it is raining during the day. It's a shame there isn't an indicator on the instrument cluster when the auto lights are on. I think they added that in the SPA cars.

Forum comes through again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The headlights do turn on in my '17 S60 if I turn the rain sensor on or if I put a wiper stalk into normal or high speed. They do not turn on if I put them in intermittent setting (unless previously I had wipers in normal or high, then they will stay on even in int setting until I turn the wipers off).

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The headlights do turn on in my '17 S60 if I turn the rain sensor on or if I put a wiper stalk into normal or high speed. They do not turn on if I put them in intermittent setting (unless previously I had wipers in normal or high, then they will stay on even in int setting until I turn the wipers off).
Interesting. Now that I'm getting conflicting answers, I'll have to do some testing to figure this out for sure.

·
Registered
74 Posts
An easy way to check without getting out of the car is if your wipers are on, pull back on the high beam lever. If the indicator stays on, then your lights are on. If it goes out when you release the lever, the lights are off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts