SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many happy years in my 99 S80, this has been a bad month. New trans. New steering rack. And now the auto-dim mirror crapped out. It is "dimmed" all the time.<p>I can pick up a used mirror off ebay for about $75. <p>I asked my dealer (been doing business with them for 13 years, so I sort of trust them) about how to remove the plastic molding around the "roof console" so that I could install the mirror.<p>Seems the electronics in the mirror are tied into the central locking and anti-theft systems. According to the dealer, if I remove the old mirror and install a new one I will disable the locking and anti-theft systems, with no possibility of recovery. He said the only way around this is to install a new mirror, one that was never programmed to a specific car. They then download the proper software into the unit.<p>Does this sound legit to you?<p>They've got me wary enough to not buy used. But at the same time, the cynic side of me says they are trying to sell a new mirror. <p>Any input would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: Auto-dim Mirror (PMossberg)

Yes, what they are telling you is true. If it's just the mirror glass that has gone bad and you have some reasonable soldering skills you can fix it yourself. Here's how: <A HREF="http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16275" TARGET="_blank">http://www.matthewsvolvosite.c...16275</A>

·
Registered
193 Posts
Re: Auto-dim Mirror (vegasjetskier)

It an easy soldering job anyways. If you dont know how to solder id say go out a buy a 15watt soldering iron and some rosin core solder (thin is better for these little jobs) and solder away at first on wires you have laying around. Read up on the techniques and youll be fine, the surrounding area for the wires is safe even if you drip.<p>You have nothing to loose seeing that you can save yourself big bucks doing this. If you do break it, you were going to buy another mirror from volvo anyway.<p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts