SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope it is alright to bring up auto-crossing! I noticed something about no racing stuff??? At any rate, my son has been campaigning a '68 Triumph Spitfire for a few years with me as his "pit crew." Lots of fun!! I am wondering if anyone has regularly or otherwise, used a 70R for auto-crossing? We tried out my 2006 a couple of weeks ago and of course my son was somewhat disparaging. So, if there is anyone out there with some thoughts...

Kent

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
only 1 thought: use another car. uncompetitve in class, stock drive train weak (or getting really worn) yet stupidly expensive to repair cause rare, no aftermarket parts, etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I would say it all depends on your expectations. If your just going to have fun I had taken my R to 2 autocross events a while back just for fun. I went with all season tires. 1st time it was a lil slick out bc it had rained earlier and I finished 8th out of 20 cars. 2nd time was dry and more competitie cars were there with slicks etc and i was like 12th out of 22 lol. Both days were fun. If you want to be competitive though a smaller car would be better bc the tracks r smaller and tighter. I prefer road racing and the R does much better there

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ha ha my son came to visit with his Honda CR-Z, intending to participate at the local autocross. Last minute, his car was disqualified - they don't allow hybrids, and didn't realize his was a hybrid until he showed up.

So, he thrashed my '07 XC70 around the track, to the amusement of all present.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I am wondering if anyone has regularly or otherwise, used a 70R for auto-crossing?
There was a member on V70R.com that regularly autocrossed his VR with his wife. He had dedicated tires/wheels for the track. According to the posts they did well and had a lot of fun. He also ran at the drag strip and routinely thrashed Mustang GTs. This was 11-12 years ago back when the car was new and the competition was different than it is today. He eventually got very serious about autocrossing and bought a Saturn Sky Redline and said it was orders of magnitude better than the VR. So yeah you can do it and have fun, but don't expect too take top honors.

·
Registered
291 Posts
As a long-time autocross competitor (30+ years) I think you can have fun with any car to start autocrossing. Then you have to decide if you want to have fun or be competitive. The best autocross driver I ever met regularly competed in an old stock BMW 320 DS (underpowered, soft suspension) because it made him practice being smooth. He then went on to trash everyone at nationals with his BMW M3. What I like about autocrossing a daily driver is that you get to get a feel for limits of the car. I find the VR fun to autocross. It also gets a lot of attention because nobody expects a high-performance wagon.

If you want to be competitive, look to see what cars won or were near the top in each class at nationals the previous year and buy one of those that fit in your budget.

GLM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are all correct!

As a long-time autocross competitor (30+ years) I think you can have fun with any car to start autocrossing. Then you have to decide if you want to have fun or be competitive. The best autocross driver I ever met regularly competed in an old stock BMW 320 DS (underpowered, soft suspension) because it made him practice being smooth. He then went on to trash everyone at nationals with his BMW M3. What I like about autocrossing a daily driver is that you get to get a feel for limits of the car. I find the VR fun to autocross. It also gets a lot of attention because nobody expects a high-performance wagon.

If you want to be competitive, look to see what cars won or were near the top in each class at nationals the previous year and buy one of those that fit in your budget.

GLM
After doing a few "hole shots" I find that the R is not very "torque-y!" As you know that is very important in auto-crossing!! Also, I really do agree with my son that the R might be a bit more expensive to fix than his Spitfire. Finally, if I do campaign the R it will be for the pure fun of it and to support the local SCCA chapter. Thanks for all of the comments and I will keep you informed on progress with the R refurbishment and any auto-crossing we get done!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I autocrossed my v70r last year and placed second in street class. Only mods I had at the time were a full 3" exhaust and hankook rs4 tires on wider wheels.

·
Registered
861 Posts
After doing a few "hole shots" I find that the R is not very "torque-y!"
Auto trans, I assume. Needs some RPM to build torque. I recall the first "hole shot" I tried with DTSC disabled. Revved to ~4000 RPM and dumped the clutch. Got lotsa smoke and front wheel hop, went through first gear so fast it was scary, slammed into second while still spinning the tires, spun through second and into third until I let off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts