SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a T5 Inscription w/Advanced package and was under the impression that the car had an auto break function that would stop by itself to avoid a collision.
I am not referring to Pilot Assist but rather driving in traffic when you approach a stopped car at a red light as an example.
I have all the drive aids enabled and the most I got when testing the system was a warning sign that said STOP or BRAKE but did not slow down the car.
Either I was clearly under the wrong impression or I am missing something.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I recently got a T5 Inscription w/Advanced package and was under the impression that the car had an auto break function that would stop by itself to avoid a collision.
I am not referring to Pilot Assist but rather driving in traffic when you approach a stopped car at a red light as an example.
I have all the drive aids enabled and the most I got when testing the system was a warning sign that said STOP or BRAKE but did not slow down the car.
First, I really hope you did not test this on an actual road with other drivers. Second, the feature only activates if the driver doesn't take any action, i.e. if you were to start braking then the car would not take any action besides warning you of an impending collision. However, if the driver fails to brake then the car will autobrake.

·
Registered
95 Posts
From experience I can tell you it brakes later and less aggressively than maybe it should. I didn’t think it would brake either, until it did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
I have something as proof, a bike bumped on right front corner and the car braked to stop. Still a dent is left on right fender.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i.e. if you were to start braking then the car would not take any action besides warning you of an impending collision. However, if the driver fails to brake then the car will autobrake.
Actually, no. Had a person from 3 lanes over cut across to exit - I started braking, but the car definitely started "helping" (along with the collision warning). And I was braking pretty hard to begin with.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Actually, no. Had a person from 3 lanes over cut across to exit - I started braking, but the car definitely started "helping" (along with the collision warning). And I was braking pretty hard to begin with.
On the Volvo website it says, “a collision can be avoided if the driver does not react.” Meaning the system engages when the driver fails to take action.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
On the Volvo website it says, “a collision can be avoided if the driver does not react.” Meaning the system engages when the driver fails to take action.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying it also assists even if driver is braking.

For the record, I had the car brake on its own once as I almost rolled into someone.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
As emergency braking comes with the potential hazard of being rear ended, safety brake systems need to make that decision. My understanding is that the Sensus Intellisafe decides that partially from the type of object ahead. For example, pedestrians crossing the road, bicycles, other vehicles ahead, large animal crossing, etc., are considered justification to avoid head-on collision even with the increased chance of being rear-ended. However, small animals are supposedly ignored. Depending on the nature of the impending collision you were in, the system may decide not to react.

I've had 2 instances where I already applied braking, but since I try to stop very close to the vehicle ahead (in order to avoid sudden braking so I won't get rear-ended), the system on my SPA xc90 decided to add braking. I suppose those were unnecessary but was not a false positive.

I've had another instance when it only displayed an alert on the dash, blinking proximity lights (on the non-HUD distance alert indicator on the windshield), and audible alert as I traverse a slightly curving road and a vehicle was parked close to an s-bend. The system correctly detects the hazard, but had no way of knowing that I will make the s-bend safely or not.

The only time I thought was a false positive was when during commute traffic, a bundle of metal rods on the cargo hold of a truck in front of me wobbled up and down (as the cantilevered piece protruded on the back of the truck). Looks like the safety system thought there was a sudden presence of an object nearby (note: because it was protruding off the back of the truck's cargo area, it was a bit close to my vehicle, but above my engine hood height) and applied emergency braking.

Having said that, it I wouldn't fault the system from applying braking in those instances. I don't recall any other instances since I bought the vehicle at the end of 2017.

Perhaps your distance setting alert is set to the shortest?

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
I don't disagree. I'm just saying it also assists even if driver is braking.

For the record, I had the car brake on its own once as I almost rolled into someone.

Yes. I've had this happen. A car cut me off for a last-second exit on the city roads and I started with pressing the brake pedal while the big red icon lighted up and flashed and the brake pedal went all in and I knew it wasn't me pressing this hard on it. I also had the car almost in a limp-mode for the next 10-odd seconds with the check engine light on. I had to pull over in an McD parking lot, turn off and then restart the Vehicle and it was back to normal again within seconds.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That would be a deal-breaker for me. Get your money back if you can, or trade it in. No car is making me go into a McD!

·
Registered
14 Posts
It will happen, and it will shock you when it does - and probably make anyone else in the car yell at you because they think it's something YOU did. :D

For us, it's happened twice in 6 months.

The first time was going 50 MPH on a 50 MPH street when someone decided to swerve from the left turn lane across all lanes of traffic to make a right turn. I got the Big Red Bar, the audible alert, and a jab on the brakes for an instant.

The second time was while braking to turn into a parking lot with a car in front of me. Although I was slowing down and would have followed the car ahead of me into the parking lot with about 2m distance, the Volvo thought I wasn't slowing down enough. I got the Big Red Bar, the audible alert, and this time, a HUGE jam on the brakes to stop the car suddenly. I also got yelled at by the wife and teen, who thought I got the audible alert and jerked my foot on the brake instinctively. The only thing I could think to say was "City Safety: keeping you Safe on the City Streets suddenly."

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the auto-braking engage. Just the other day I was approaching from behind a car that was getting ready to turn and I didn't brake at all knowing I could go around if they didn't turn before I got there (there was no other traffic). I guess I got closer than the car liked and braked for me. It actually startled me. I'm pretty sure you must be wearing your seat belt for this to work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Avoided a side collision on the highway yesterday as I was trying to merge and another car was moving into the same lane and the steering wheel actually pulled pretty strongly to put me back in the lane. Pretty surprised at how great everything worked (no crazy beeps or anything. just the collision avoidance msg on dash). For all the little annoyances of this car, that alone may have me in a Volvo for life.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Avoided a side collision on the highway yesterday as I was trying to merge and another car was moving into the same lane and the steering wheel actually pulled pretty strongly to put me back in the lane. Pretty surprised at how great everything worked (no crazy beeps or anything. just the collision avoidance msg on dash). For all the little annoyances of this car, that alone may have me in a Volvo for life.
This happened when my wife was driving. She was changing lanes (nobody was there) but the guy behind her decided he couldn't wait and started to accelerate really fast - so the Volvo just pulled her back into the lane.
I find these features purely awesome.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not that I want to test this, but.... I know the ACC works really well when you're around cars, but let me suppose this situation. You're behind a car, ACC is working, a little bit up ahead is a red light with 2 cars stopped, the car in front of you turns right onto a side street, so then there is open road between you and the up coming light, the ACC re-accelerates to 35 or 40. So far, the car has rapidly approached the stopped cars and I've jumped on the brakes thinking the ACC wasn't going to activate to slow me down and stop. Has anyone accidentally done that and it stopped? I'm not going to take the chance on a brand new $80k car, but just curious if the ACC will re-detect cars up in the distance?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Not that I want to test this, but.... I know the ACC works really well when you're around cars, but let me suppose this situation. You're behind a car, ACC is working, a little bit up ahead is a red light with 2 cars stopped, the car in front of you turns right onto a side street, so then there is open road between you and the up coming light, the ACC re-accelerates to 35 or 40. So far, the car has rapidly approached the stopped cars and I've jumped on the brakes thinking the ACC wasn't going to activate to slow me down and stop. Has anyone accidentally done that and it stopped? I'm not going to take the chance on a brand new $80k car, but just curious if the ACC will re-detect cars up in the distance?
I'd imagine this would lead to a crash the way ACC works.
I've had ACC re-engage only when the car in front was merging away slowly. Otherwise it just bolts to catch up to the set speed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
When I've seen them test this online, they use Styrofoam or empty cardboard boxes to simulate a car/obstacle to avoid damaging the car. So if you really want to try it...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
When I've seen them test this online, they use Styrofoam or empty cardboard boxes to simulate a car/obstacle to avoid damaging the car. So if you really want to try it...
I've tried it with the empty refrigerator cardboard box
That was back in 2013 though. Nowadays, the system has gotten a ton better. I've noticed that my ACC is noticing stationary cars now too.
As in, if I set my following distance to long, and I'm coming up on stopped traffic, it actually slows down.
My P3 cars never did that.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
No it doesn't detect stationary vehicle reliably, especially in distance, on freeway. You saw it worked it was just by chance.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
No it doesn't detect stationary vehicle reliably, especially in distance, on freeway. You saw it worked it was just by chance.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
I didn't say reliably. Not that I would rely on it to do that anyway. I did see it work twice, but I usually disengage before it even gets a chance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts