SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear community,

Can any current owner weigh in on how to override the auto-breaking when it is engaged. I will be taking possession of my XC90 in two weeks time and live in the NYC area where cars and pedestrians cut in front of you often and you must confidently take your rightful place among the pack so to speak.
From browsing reviews of dealerships, I was also made aware that the auto-break feature mistakenly engaged on the highway for one particular new owner and brought the car to a full stop from cruising speed. This concerns me as I have never owned a car that babysat me before and do not wish to be rear-ended just because a bug splattered the sensor.

Best,
M

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Dear community,

Can any current owner weigh in on how to override the auto-breaking when it is engaged. I will be taking possession of my XC90 in two weeks time and live in the NYC area where cars and pedestrians cut in front of you often and you must confidently take your rightful place among the pack so to speak.
From browsing reviews of dealerships, I was also made aware that the auto-break feature mistakenly engaged on the highway for one particular new owner and brought the car to a full stop from cruising speed. This concerns me as I have never owned a car that babysat me before and do not wish to be rear-ended just because a bug splattered the sensor.

Best,
M
There is a button on your center console with an A. Right next to the parking brake button. It's a toggle for the auto-braking feature. Just hit it. It should stay off until you hit the button again. I never use it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
There is a button on your center console with an A. Right next to the parking brake button. It's a toggle for the auto-braking feature. Just hit it. It should stay off until you hit the button again. I never use it.
The feature you are referring to is not the same feature that the poster is talking about. The auto brake feature you refer to holds the brake when stopped in traffic u till the accelerator is pressed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
The OP is referring to the Forward Safety Collision Prevention Suite of Tech, not the Auto Hold Feature which automatically engages the parking brake at long stops.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have never owned a car with this feature before. Personally, I love it and have it enable for every drive. I find it to be so relaxing to be able to take my foot off the brake pedal at red lights. It's also very useful when waiting in the insane in-n-out drive thru lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have never owned a car with this feature before. Personally, I love it and have it enable for every drive. I find it to be so relaxing to be able to take my foot off the brake pedal at red lights. It's also very useful when waiting in the insane in-n-out drive thru lines.

This is also not what the op is referring to though I also like the auto brake. To the op- the forward collision system (city safety?), whatever it's called that brakes for you, in my experience it only does it at the last possible second. I live in NYC and it does not bother me at all. It's engaged a couple of times at what felt like the exact moment I hit the brake.

Can you link to the review about stopping someone on the highway? That seems impossible without an obstacle in the way. From what I understand the function can only use something like 40% of the braking power so at highway speeds it won't bring you to a full stop anyway. You sure it wasn't a tesla?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I don't think the OP is referring to the auto-hold break. I assume he's referring to the City Safety feature which, as far as I know, can't be turned off.

Edit: Oops. It took me so long to post that others beat me to the punch. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
The system will not bother you in city traffic. Also you can adjust the reaction time. I like the system. It only activates when you are really close to a damaging collision. And it does not use heavy braking unless it is really necessary.

·
Registered
71 Posts
And you can override it by forcefully continuing pressing the throttle.

·
Registered
192 Posts

Wow...I didn't even know that this was a feature. This will be extremely useful for me. Is this a standard feature or part of some option? I'm assuming it's standard.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm also constantly driving in NYC stop and go traffic (evidenced by my average mpg of 17). I have to deal with people cutting in front of me all the time as well. I've never had the car come to a full stop. It did suddenly apply the brakes for me once or twice, and it was jarring, but never a full stop.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The OP is referring to the Forward Safety Collision Prevention Suite of Tech, not the Auto Hold Feature which automatically engages the parking brake at long stops.
So it's not the auto-brake, it's the City Safety feature.

In that case, I totally agree. As far as I have been told this feature cannot be defeated and it is annoying. It has triggered numerous times for me and not once to actually prevent an accident. In fact, it almost caused one because of stopping short causing the car behind me to come to a sudden stop close to my car. In addition to the feature not really knowing how to handle some congested traffic conditions, particularly here in the tri-state area where it is survival of the fittest, it also gets unnecessarily confused by things that a human driver can better discern. For example, I live out near a lot of country roads and its not uncommon for someone to pull into their property while the traffic behind them drifts slightly to the left to go around them. I have had this feature trigger very abruptly while doing.

I have learned to live with the feature for the most part.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The system will not bother you in city traffic. Also you can adjust the reaction time. I like the system. It only activates when you are really close to a damaging collision. And it does not use heavy braking unless it is really necessary.
It has bothered me in city traffic.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Funny I just cant imagine a situation where you would do this...
It's more like if it activates when you don't actually want to stop, and your foot is on the gas, it's easy to just keep going. Kind of like the lane keeping assist- it gives steering input but you can very easily override it.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It's more like if it activates when you don't actually want to stop, and your foot is on the gas, it's easy to just keep going. Kind of like the lane keeping assist- it gives steering input but you can very easily override it.
Having experienced this "feature" many times, it is nothing like LKA. LKA provides some minor feedback/resistance when crossing a line. Easy to physically ignore with no impact on your steering and totally silent. This forced braking feature sounds a loud klaxon alarm in the car that jars you and slams on your brakes for you. If might not bring you to a full stop, but if you have traffic close behind you it is the equivalent of stopping short. And it freaks out everyone in the car (until they have experienced it enough times). Even if you can press the accelerator pedal to override it, that can only happen after the initial braking so you can't prevent the action, only compensate after the fact.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is also not what the op is referring to though I also like the auto brake. To the op- the forward collision system (city safety?), whatever it's called that brakes for you, in my experience it only does it at the last possible second. I live in NYC and it does not bother me at all. It's engaged a couple of times at what felt like the exact moment I hit the brake.

Can you link to the review about stopping someone on the highway? That seems impossible without an obstacle in the way. From what I understand the function can only use something like 40% of the braking power so at highway speeds it won't bring you to a full stop anyway. You sure it wasn't a tesla?
Here you go Gc, click here, it is the negative review by Jason. I was surprised as well. I can see the potential for that "safety" system to force a rear end collision, but that might be much better than hitting someone else.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
... but that might be much better than hitting someone else.
I agree, would be considered their fault if hit from behind!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Here you go Gc, click here, it is the negative review by Jason. I was surprised as well. I can see the potential for that "safety" system to force a rear end collision, but that might be much better than hitting someone else.
Interesting. Like I said though I don't see how thats possible really but who knows. He's understandably upset about some other stuff so possibly experiencing stuff through a negative lens in general.

Citivas, not saying it performs identically to LKA, obviously they are different functions responding to different conditions. True that you can not stop the initial braking from happening, though thats actually identical to LKA- if its on, you can't avoid the feedback but the feedback is less pronounced with LKA for sure. I just find that it does not affect my regular driving at all really. I get the flashing warning far more frequently than the actual braking action and thats just a warning. I have also had a couple of instances where the car braked and I was glad. Following very closely in traffic and Id like to think I was braking in time myself but can't really say for sure.

There are also definitely times that the warning goes off unnecessarily (I know of several curves which cruise pass parked cars but the volvo thinks Im going to run into them, and these routinely activate the warning) but I have never seen it brake without an obstacle directly in front of me. In your experience is it braking when you e.g. pass turning cars, or simply warning?

Also I can't remember but I think there are settings for that, can you turn it down at least?

I live in NYC proper and have put 10k miles on since June so I've driven in plenty of rough traffic situations. I don't know, everyones experience will differ but to me City Safety is great and very much in the background.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts