SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/01/2012-volvo-xc60-r-design-polestar-review/

Good review on the r-design. They, like the rest of us, wonder why it is outsold so much it's competitors...interesting excerpt: Lexus has 100 or so fewer dealers in theUS but they moved 80k RX's last year compared to volvo's 15k or so xc60s. And the Volvo seems to be a bit cheaper. Q5 and X3 outsell it handily as well.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Good read, thanks for sharing.

I like my XC60, and honestly I like the fact that there are no other R-designs in town. I want it to stay that way. I also enjoy yanking on EDGE SPORTS that think they have hte most powerful CUV out there. Is fun :).

·
Registered
256 Posts
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/01/2012-volvo-xc60-r-design-polestar-review/

Good review on the r-design. They, like the rest of us, wonder why it is outsold so much it's competitors...interesting excerpt: Lexus has 100 or so fewer dealers in theUS but they moved 80k RX's last year compared to volvo's 15k or so xc60s. And the Volvo seems to be a bit cheaper. Q5 and X3 outsell it handily as well.
I realize that I know little about marketing so I don't have an answer to what I'll say here. That is, most of our friends who see our new XC60 R-Design say "I thought Volvo went out of business." When I ask if they may be thinking of Saab, I still don't get much of a response.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do think its a big visibility issue. I was surprised to see that lexus had fewer dealers, but I do think that their dealers tend to be large volume. Most volvo dealers I know of are smaller, and usually combined with other marks. Even in Denver metro, volvo country, there is no dealer that dealer only with Volvo...just a volvo/caddy dealer, a volvo/ford/jag/lincoln dealer, a volvo toyota dealer, and a volvo dealer withing big auto group on the same road that deals in like 6 brands.

but I digress...I have never seen a lexus dealer combined with another brand.

I have a C30...not all that uncommon in denver...I see about 1/day besides mine. But I still frequently get, "thats a volvo?". They definately have a long way to go to re-build presence in the US. The XC60 is a fabulous car...which I loved way more than my RX. And it certainly wins agains the Q5 and X3 in my book. I just wish other folks knew it for Volvo's sake. On the other hand, its nice driving something that isnt in everybody's garage.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Did auto blog just wake up from a coma? Why not test the 2013 Model year?
Of course, 'we' would like the newest model reviewed; but, is there really any substantial change for '13 that would impact the 'results'?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The dealer network is an interesting study. There are two locations under one owner here in Austin(Roger Beasley). One is a stand-alone Volvo shop(I think, still...haven't been there in a while) and the other shares a building with the Subie folks. The overall umbrella covers many lines: With new products from Audi, Fisker, Maserati, Porsche, Saab, Spyker, Subaru and Volvo , according to their 'profile'. Austin is 'only' 1.7 million folks and has only one Lexus dealer but two Volvo locations.

Back in Atlanta, the Nalley Group was somewhat similar to Roger Beasley; however, they owned both Lexus AND Volvo stores. I believe Volvo had four Volvo locations in the Atlanta area when we left four years ago. I think they had the same number of Lexus dealers.

In the north Austin area 'burbs', Volvos are a very common sight. We had the only XC60 in our neighborhood of 350 homes for the first year or so. Now, I'd say there are close to a dozen. I believe the XC90 is a disappearing breed in our 'hood...haven't noticed a new one in quite a while. There are a half-dozen or so C70s and bunches of S60s in shouting distance. It might be interesting to find out what the sales numbers look like for the Austin area.

Oddly, there is a dealer in Temple, TX; under 40 miles up the Interstate from a Roger Beasley location. Of course, there are plenty within two/three hours in three directions...San Antonio, DFW and Houston.

If I were a GM, needing to pair up with another marque to reduce costs, Subaru might be a good one. Of course, it always helps to have a 'higher priced spread' for comparison, so maybe a Rover dealer on the other end of the building.:thumbup:

·
Registered
62 Posts
There is something to be said for not seeing yourself coming and going everywhere, especially in Los Angeles. I like that the car is unique and it is the only car that Mrs. Rizzo got emotional about when we were shopping. No regrets.

I used to own the first model year Acura RDX, and it was an appliance - not a drivers car...it was slow AND got terrible gas mileage so I sold it at 14 months. The Lexus RX is sooo milquetoast. There were no F Sport models when we looked and the handling is comparable to a 1983 Cadillac Coupe DeVille so we immediately crossed that off the list. We looked quite a bit for a GLK 350 and were actually ready to pull the trigger on one, but....in all of Los Angeles there was ONE with all the options (keyless, BiX, P1, Nav, etc) and the "new" refreshed model is due out in about a month, so that was out. We looked at the Caddy, but IMHO, the car does not warrant the cost combined with the exceptionally low residual made it a poor lease value. The new X3 did not do anything in the looks department so we passed. I had to get an attorney to deal with the excessive squeaking on my 2011 VWCC VR6/4mo - so VW/Audi was an immediate disqualification. There were almost no "new" 2013 Ford Escapes anywhere and she was really wanting another Euro car.

I never thought in my life I would quote Consumer Reports, but while researching I came across an article on the GLK350 that said the Volvo XC60 was one of their top pics and deserved a look (probably in base trim) and I went to look and was hooked. We got a great deal on a great car from a privately owned dealership that sells only Volvos. Like I said, no regrets.

·
Registered
134 Posts
While Lexus may not have the number of dealerships, it has the association with Toyota...it is the rich man's Toyota. I think by that virtue alone, the branding makes it so common that people flock to it. I, for one, would not even consider a Lexus. They are so common place as to be meaningless. The profile has not changed substantially in eons. We are so tickled with our XC60. Here in South Louisiana, XC60s are not crowding the roads. We see many more XC90s. The only thing I wish (and it's only a small one) is that I could have gotten Oyster Grey for the XC60. While ice white is neck popping, white IS common place for many makes/models. The Oyster color was, IMO, very unique.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts