SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just wanted to share my OSD experience with everyone since I just wrapped it up. It was great and can't wait for my XC40 to get home.

I started my OSD process in January 2019 after testing driving a 2019 XC40 as my local dealer. They had bursting blue and while I'll Amit I liked the color of the car, I thought the novelty of the color might wear off - so i decided on a White R-Design. speaking to the dealer I'd have to wait until April for a 2019 from the dealer, or I could order OSD for a 2020 pick up in July. As my current car is still just fine, I thought it was a no brainer to go the OSD route.

Volvo's OSD order process this year was a bit chaotic and disorganized with the change in systems. I had my deposit paid and configuration chosen weeks in advance and it still took a few tries to get my dealer to be able to submit my order and get confirmation. This meant my order got pushed into August. Not a big deal but remember to be flexible.

I set up financing through Lightstream, having them beat the rate of my local credit union by providing a truth in lender statement. For me PenFed didn't get close but I ended up with 2.89% over 5 years which I was happy with, and made my full payment about 30 days out.

Made my travel plans with corporate travel and they were extremely helpful in plotting out different scenarios/routes and what they would cover. I decided on flying British Airways into London, spending a few days there, then on to Gothenburg for my XC40, then Drive on to Copenhagen, Denmark; Hamburg Germany ( I really wanted to drive my new car on the Autobahn); and Amsterdam, The Netherlands before flying home.

With my busy route planned, I did not want to throw a wrench into things at the Factory Delivery Center so I emailed the FDC and asked if they could accessories prior to delivery and they obliged installing PoleStar Tuning, Tow Hitch, Mud Flaps, and Rubber Car Mats. The prices were lower for all but the rubber car mats, but with the unpredictable rainy weather I thought it was worth the few dollars to have the car interior protected up front. They were even kind enough to honor prior year pricing since PoleStar had gone up in price but I had gotten an earlier quote from the prior to installation. Now I know for most folks they could have done most of this after initial Delivery but the factory tour was closed when I went and I expected to visit the brand experience center for only a brief time prior to getting on the road so I asked that they complete these all prior to my arrival. I also asked if they could install the blue PoleStar badge (I ordered one for a few bucks online because I preferred nthe color, and they said they would try.

So off for my trip I go, from Philadelphia to London, and low and behold I get bumped up to Business Class at the gate and so it goes without saying it was a great flight! Spent a few days in London, saw all the sights and was happy to eat to experience this as part of a complimentary flight! I used hotel points for the entire trip so I didn't incur any significant costs either.

Flying from London to Gothenburg it was a smaller plane but still adequate room and a pretty quick flight overall. When I landed I cleared passport control and customs in less than 5 minutes and was on to find the driver. Exiting the secured area, you have a driver neatly dressed with a Volvo sign and your last name which is always nice to see and make you feel important. We got to tlthe car and the transport was an XC40, which was probably a coincidence but I thought was cool. It rained the entire drive to the Clarion Post Hotel but managed to stop a few minutes after my check-in around 11am and the sun came out the remainder of the day. My room was ready when I got here and I had a gift from Volvo waiting for me in my room which was a nice touch. I decided to go out and see the town and it's beautiful - just serene but charming.

I arrived on the start of the Gothenburg Culture Festival so there were tons do vendors, food carts, performances all around the city center and it was great to just walk around, eat, watch performances, and enjoy. After a few days of non stop walking I decided it was time to get a massage and what better place than Sweden for a Swedish massage. It was amazing, the best massage I've had in a few years and fairly priced (SEK 895) for an hour massage. I went to a place in the Central Station across from the hotel but if youre interested there is a spa within the hotel but you'll have to book it in advance I think it's called the beauty factory. There's also a very popular place called Upper House which is about 20 minutes by foot but is also booked in advance. I was very happy with my experience.

I went straight from my massage to the included dinner at Norda within the Clarion Post. The restaurant is very nice and the staff are amazing. Volvo has a pre-selected menu with a starter of shrimp, a main course of Cod, and a strawberry and vanilla dessert. I don't eat seafood and the staff were more than happy to make adjustments via the a la carte menu and allowed me to order the steak sandwich and fries along with the strawberry and vanilla dessert. It was a great meal and the dessert was so delicious. I thought there would be some sort of charge at the end for making changes to the menu which I was okay with - but not a single thing. I was told it was all covered and to enjoy my new car!

On the morning of Delivery, I was picked up first thing at 740am at the hotel again in style with a sign. I arrived at the FDC and you can tell right away it's something special. The staff are all smiling, they take their time with everything, explaining things very thoroughly and answering any questions you have. We walked through all the documents I would need for the port shipment in Amsterdam and I felt very comfortable with the process there. Finished up some paperwork and awaited my new car. Within a few minutes the garage door light flashed, and my car came rolling through and she was beautiful. White XC40 R-Design and she was perfect. All of the accessories I asked for had been added, and she even asked if I had brought the blue badge for PoleStar as they could do the switch in a few minutes! I was ecstatic about the whole thing. I was then walked through all of the features of the car in great detail, I didn't feel rushed, and with all the technology in these cars I was a little worried but I received detailed instructions for everything without asking. After about an hour I was ready to go! I stopped in the shop and picked up swedish flag hood emblem, and a model XC40 to take home with me as a souvenir since I'll have to wait a few weeks for the car to actually arrive. I didn't attend the Brand Experience Center (factory was closed) and I had about a 3 hour wait between the delivery of my car and the schedule time of the experience so I got on my way to Copenhagen! What an amazingly smooth ride in the XC40 the car handles like a dream and was everything I was hoping for!

Made it to Copenhagen in a little over 3 hours and already received my first parking ticket, completely in Danish of course! Quite expensive but I thought I was in a legal spot with 30 minute parking but I guess not? Onward to sightseeing in Copenhagen, spent the remainder of the day just enjoying the city.

Headed onward to Hamburg, Germany because I was interested in the History but also wanted to out "Sophie" on the the Autobanh. She handled like a dream, in PoleStar mode - hit the top speed of 130 mph in no time and she still felt in control. My current car gets uneasy about 90 or so, so this is a big change. Also spent a ton of miles with the Pilot Assist and Adaptive Cruise control and am very happy with how that all works. In total I drove 757 miles over the trip and couldn't be happier!

Fast forward a bit, and it's time to drop my car off in Amsterdam. This process was a lot less formal than I thought. I was advised to get a carwash first (added bonus the car wash gave me a few beers for free some odd reason), bring Euros (no cards accepted) and it's an office by the ports. It's a small shop a few folks working in the office, they come out, inspect the car, sign some docs, pay your fee and you are on your way. My car will be going through Baltimore MD port and now I just wait for it to arrive.

Whew, that was a long write up but I hope it helps someone along the way.

TL;DR - Got an OSD XC40, absolutely amazing experience. Process was exciting and very smooth. Volvo knows how to make customers happy!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Wow, thanks for sharing. We're getting close to ordering the same car for OSD next year. Did you get 19 or 20 inch wheels?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nice trip report. Thanks! Your car looks like the one we test drove at the dealer.

We also dropped off in Amsterdam, and it was exactly as you described (except the beers at the car wash!). Upgraded to Business Class, sweet! The Autobahn was fun, but I didn't go quite THAT fast.

Now the wait...our XC40 finally arrived at Port Hueneme in California last night. 37 days and counting. Come home to Poppa!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Blue Polestar badge. Lucky you!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride and thanks for the write-up. Brought back my happy times. Your experiences were nearly identical to our OSD. Volvo and the FDC team are the best. I like your taste. Your car is an exact clone of ours, down to the blue (highly desirable) Polestar badge. I wish they had that model XC40 when we were there. Was it a duplicate of your big version? Are you going to track your car's voyage home to you? All you'll need is the ship it's on.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, thanks for sharing. We're getting close to ordering the same car for OSD next year. Did you get 19 or 20 inch wheels?
I went with the 20 inch wheels. I liked the look better and the ride was really smooth with them. Do not regret the decision at all they're very nice

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice trip report. Thanks! Your car looks like the one we test drove at the dealer.

We also dropped off in Amsterdam, and it was exactly as you described (except the beers at the car wash!). Upgraded to Business Class, sweet! The Autobahn was fun, but I didn't go quite THAT fast.

Now the wait...our XC40 finally arrived at Port Hueneme in California last night. 37 days and counting. Come home to Poppa!
37 days isn't bad just over 5 weeks. Gives me hope I can get mine pretty quickly if it's headed to the east coast!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congratulations on your new ride and thanks for the write-up. Brought back my happy times. Your experiences were nearly identical to our OSD. Volvo and the FDC team are the best. I like your taste. Your car is an exact clone of ours, down to the blue (highly desirable) Polestar badge. I wish they had that model XC40 when we were there. Was it a duplicate of your big version? Are you going to track your car's voyage home to you? All you'll need is the ship it's on.
I guess you have great tastes haha. Yeah I really wanted the blue badge for Polestar and they were happy to help. I figured it didn't hurt to ask.

The model isn't an exact replica because the toy model has the lava orange carpet for some reason but all of them had that. Can't really tell unless you're looking really close but I thought it was close enough.

Yeah I'm going to track it back to the States, they told me to send them an email this week and they'd give me all the details from the port

·
Registered
316 Posts
I guess you have great tastes haha. Yeah I really wanted the blue badge for Polestar and they were happy to help. I figured it didn't hurt to ask.

The model isn't an exact replica because the toy model has the lava orange carpet for some reason but all of them had that. Can't really tell unless you're looking really close but I thought it was close enough.

Yeah I'm going to track it back to the States, they told me to send them an email this week and they'd give me all the details from the port

True that! Clearly we both decided the black interior was more relatable than the lava, plus since the car was going to be in Hawaii, thought it prudent to keep the lava out of the car - lol.

Would you mind posting a few pictures of the model? I normally try to get a model of all the cars I've had over the years. Since 1985, still going. Depending on what it looks like, I might see if the FDC store would send one. How much did it cost?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
True that! Clearly we both decided the black interior was more relatable than the lava, plus since the car was going to be in Hawaii, thought it prudent to keep the lava out of the car - lol.

Would you mind posting a few pictures of the model? I normally try to get a model of all the cars I've had over the years. Since 1985, still going. Depending on what it looks like, I might see if the FDC store would send one. How much did it cost?
I want to say it was under $30, not very expensive but all the ones online seem to be going for double that or more. Here's a link to it but it only has one picture. I tried to snap a few but the plastic casing makes it a glare nightmare. Anyways the third photo shows the red interior but it's really hard to see unless you're looking from the right angle and know what you're looking for - so I'm fine with it. Some of the others online appear to have black interior but are triple the price.

https://collection.volvocars.com/en/v316-crystal-white-143

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thank you, Shawn. Damn. this is so freaking cool. Thanks for the link, maybe I'll have to order one instead of waiting for the next OSD (was thinking of an all electric XC40, so might be a bit of a wait). Now just need to figure out how to shrink the white "See Sweden by Volvo" rear window sticker then will be a total psych-out mini of our XC40.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
do the hood, doors, and rear liftgate open?
Nothing opens on this one, the label says 1:43 scale, I think the ones I saw online with open doors and tailgates was 1:18 model or something similar.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts