SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

trying to make sens of the speakers/amps/head unit in my car and what upgrade I can do.
It is a 04 V70 R and the head unit is the HU613, and I do not have nav so I do have the center speaker. The trunk speakers are 8633992, 8633993. Have not taken apart the others.

I would like to replace the head unit with an Alpine Halo9 ILX-F309.

Questions:
1. Do I have premium speakers? If not can I just get some used ones and replace, or it there something else required?
2. Do I have an amp? Can/should I update to the premium amp?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Questions:
1. Do I have premium speakers? If not can I just get some used ones and replace, or it there something else required?

Better off buying a good set of aftermarket speakers

2. Do I have an amp? Can/should I update to the premium amp?

No. Depends on how much power the Alpine has. Usually they have a small amp, better off the buy a matching higher output amp

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I rather keep this project at a very minimum and go w/ OEM speakers as direct fitment. I kind of figured out the part numbers and yes, I do not have the premium audio. From other posts replacement should be plug and play.
For the amp I'm not sure if I have one (car is in service, can't look under the seat) but if I have it must be the PA-200.

The question is: can I switch to PA-300 plug and play or do I need a new harness?

Also Vida lists software for each of the amps. Is that necessary if I'm going to run an aftermarket radio?

·
Registered
670 Posts
To answer the OP's questions:
1. No, you don't have the premium setup, you would have an HU-803 and have a center channel speaker if you had the premium system.
2. You do have an amp, but the premium amp has more power.
No head unit will have comparable power to an outboard amp, better off running the head unit to the OE amp through an RCA to DIN adapter. If you don't like the sound quality, then switch amps and speakers. You'll get much better results if you install the factory subwoofer upgrade, that makes a world of difference if you're sticking to an all OE setup.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers!

Going to the larger premium speakers should help, yes I know not the same but can't get the subwoofer as I have 3rd row seats.

I do not have the HU-803. I have the HU-613. Is that changing anything?

Are you saying that I do not have a center speaker? Vida lists one for all audio systems (40W, 50W , 100W) and it is the same part number 3533909.

Will the new amp work with the HU-613 (maybe applying sw patch 30664219)? This is for doing the upgrade in staging (depending on used parts availability) and having it working along the way.

·
Registered
670 Posts
If you don't have an HU-803, you do not have the premium system, period. You would have the 803 and the center channel if you did. Center channel is pretty obvious- you have a speaker grill in the center of the dash.

I'd search, but I'm pretty sure you can run the larger amp with the 613, but if you want to run the center, you'll need the 803 for certain. What other people were saying is the answer- if you're going to go to the trouble of sourcing a center channel speaker, premium audio speakers and the higher powered amp, you're better off going full aftermarket. The premium system is decent, but it's not great. Also, without the sub, the premium system is seriously lacking- you'll blow your speakers if you're not careful.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have the grill in the dash.

OEM premium (door speakers + amp) is $170 used. Aftermarket does not even come close in price, probably I get one speaker or less for that price. Switching door speakers and the amp w/ premium should be easy.

I'm not an audiophile or a loud music playing person either. If the Premium upgrade does not work then I'll be content with the current system.

If you can find the answer for the amp software I'll appreciate it.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
All P2s have the grill in the dash, doesn't mean there's a speaker in it. Also the base audio does not have an amp, (at least my 650 didn't, but my car is an 06) speakers are driven right out of the head unit. My R with no sunroof had base audio with 6" paper speakers, no amp, no center channel, and no midrange in the doors.

I upgraded to premium speakers and an aftermarket head unit and it sounds fantastic. Needs a sub.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts