SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Audio Upgrade

Something I've been trying to find the answer to, but haven't quite found yet.

I have a 2006 XC70 with the HU-650 head unit, and I want to add premium sound. I have access to an HU-803 & a HU-850 with a full set of speakers and accompanying amp. Is this a plug and play swap? I know the speakers certainly are swappable from anything, but does the 803 cause communication issues since it was used up to 04 vs the 850 from the later CEM software?

Yes, I realize the door panels will have to be changed to accommodate the newer speakers and the difficulties with the center channel. Those difficulties I have prepared myself for, but the other?

I can pull parts out of a donor car of varying years, from an 04 through, I believe, an 08.

On a side note: if pulling speakers and radio out of an S60 it seems like it would be worth the effort to find some way to accommodate the deck speakers somehow. Not sure how, but it seems like it would be worth the effort to make use of the extra two speakers somehow.

MODERATORS, please correct my spelling error for the tittle of the thread! It really does not communicate what I want it to communicate at all!!!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Haaaaaaa.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No changes yet, so I'll roll with it. What kind of Audi upgrades are we talking about? Something classy, like adding Bentley wheels to a Golf!

Gots to keep it classy, yo!

I'm thinking I will want the "panty dropping married creeper" version of the window stickers though. #like-a-boss

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
803 will not fit or communicate
850 only
Plug and play if it's used

I believe (not 100% sure here) the amp fits all years, otherwise buy all parts from 05-07 only

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, second amp has the same response as the first. I'm puzzled. Everything I've been told is this is a plug and play operation.

Yet no one really mentioned the amp wiring harness. Running searches reveals little info.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok, the answer in the end was simple: my parts were coming out of an s60 and the head unit didn't communicate. Grabbed one out of a wagon and we are GOLDEN! This was more work to upgrade than I though, but the reward was greater than I remembered too. It's been a while since traveling in a P2 wagon with the upgraded audio.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Well, Good to hear that #1 you got it going and #2 you have a huge supply of Volvo salvage to pick through to find what you need. We had a dedicated yard here back when I only did American, but now there are probably not more than 1/2 dozen scrap Volvos in the whole city at one time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts