SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys so I bit the bullet and bought these :

I was unsure of them but they are in fact really good!! Only way to get a uniform glow from led strips.

Basically you HAVE to split the lenses from the headlight, use a heat gun and a flat head screw driver I took apart one headlight in 7 minutes
(See MyNameIdeasWereTaken's video on seperating lenses)

I then screwed in the provided clips onto the black plastic frame piece. The plastic was tough so I first used a dremel to make a tiny incision then I screwed the provided screws in with some force. Be very careful with the dremel if you make your hole too big the screw won't hold. I made that mistake two times and had to use hot glue and super glue to be safe.

Plan out how you will arrange the tube first, then mark where you will mount the clips.
After that, snap the tube into the clips.

Wiring:
DO NOT wire these to the city or parking lights, when the car is running they will dim extremely low and will flicker. I think this is due to the PWM voltage.

I wired mine to a spare fuse with a switch in the interior

These are just as noticeable as my halos during the day I'll try to get some daytime shots.

Only flaw in my install:

I ran the wire like this since I was lazy and I don't care lol. You guys can probably do this more neatly.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I didn't seal my headlights with silicone and it has been pouring....this is the result:

It will stop raining on Thursday so I'm going to open the lenses, clean the lenses out, and reseal with silicone.

I thought the original butyl would be enough but I guess not

·
Super Moderator
15,116 Posts
I like the look with the lights on, sort of like the new Thor headlights in a way. But the daytime results aren't very clean. Hide those wires!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry to say but it think these look AWFUL! Leave them to Audi!

Even if they fit better and didn't have trailing cables I still theink they would look terrible. Sorry, just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
kudos for going for it not bad for the first time around. thats the fun part about fiddling and trying new stuff you get to think about what you can try to do to make it better. i think with some smaller lines and hidden wires would set it off. to be fair tho i our cars pull off the halo look good buuuut maybe audi can have this one.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kudos for going for it not bad for the first time around. thats the fun part about fiddling and trying new stuff you get to think about what you can try to do to make it better. i think with some smaller lines and hidden wires would set it off. to be fair tho i our cars pull off the halo look good buuuut maybe audi can have this one.
Honestly I do believe our cars are more suited for halos, I just did this because I wanted to emulate the Audi LED's.

But hey I have these and halos lol

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honestly I do believe our cars are more suited for halos, I just did this because I wanted to emulate the Audi LED's.

I wanted to do what that polestar s40 has, but I guess the facelift headlights are different since on the non facelift, there isn't enough space to bring the tube all the way back.

I was considering mounting it on the lower section of the headlights, but then it would look like a Lexus :(

·
Registered
2,681 Posts

I wanted to do what that polestar s40 has, but I guess the facelift headlights are different since on the non facelift, there isn't enough space to bring the tube all the way back.

I was considering mounting it on the lower section of the headlights, but then it would look like a Lexus :(

Add some 2015 mustang style lines and you'll have all the styles. All of them lol

The daytime shots actually don't look bad from a distance it looks sharp just close up it it shows its flaws.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Add some 2015 mustang style lines and you'll have all the styles. All of them lol

The daytime shots actually don't look bad from a distance it looks sharp just close up it it shows its flaws.

Yeah I did a lazy install, I don't feel like doing it again lol. I'm sure someone else can attempt this with cleaner results.

Overall the brightness is nice looks great during the day. That's what I was initially concerned with.

I believe these would look great on the facelift headlights especially since the tube wouldn't stand out as much with the white painted housing on the facelift cars

One of my co-workers saw me coming from a distance and thought I had a new Audi until I pulled up closer :)

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Yeah I did a lazy install, I don't feel like doing it again lol. I'm sure someone else can attempt this with cleaner results.

Overall the brightness is nice looks great during the day. That's what I was initially concerned with.

I believe these would look great on the facelift headlights especially since the tube wouldn't stand out as much with the white painted housing on the facelift cars

One of my co-workers saw me coming from a distance and thought I had a new Audi until I pulled up closer :)
Hey how about you paint a frame from around the outside headlight to cover the tubes at least halfway, hell you could probly see what it looks like using some electrical tape or something. Kinda like some eyebrows but just around the tubes you know what I mean?

·
Registered
547 Posts

Daytime shot
Don't like the shape of your outline. IMO, would look far better if you went under the DRL and then up between the DRL and low beam (following the slightly slanted line between them) and then across the top to the turn signal.

Would be much more aggressive looking and better integrated into the design of the headlights.

Don't know if the led pips can make tight turns though....

·
Registered
757 Posts
Hee hee: WIth modelers, that's the "Ten foot rule." If it looks good from 10' away, it's good enough.

I'd like to put these in the V50's taillights following the upper bend. I understand they are MUCH less forgiving than headlight buckets to open.

Got a link?

·
Registered
33 Posts
You have a great Volvo there mate, why try to make it look like a Audi ?
anyway i like people who care about their Volvo's and want to make it more " their own ". Keep up the good work :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hee hee: WIth modelers, that's the "Ten foot rule." If it looks good from 10' away, it's good enough.

I'd like to put these in the V50's taillights following the upper bend. I understand they are MUCH less forgiving than headlight buckets to open.

Got a link?
P1 tails are sonic welded that's why I abandoned an LED tail light project.

You'd have to cut them open some s60r members here have done it

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You have a great Volvo there mate, why try to make it look like a Audi ?
anyway i like people who care about their Volvo's and want to make it more " their own ". Keep up the good work :)
I'm not trying to copy Audi just wanted to add something different.

There's no real way to copy Audi they have glass molded tubes that are illuminated by LED's using a diffuser system...no idea how anyone could
re create that lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
Personally I like the look of the tube style. I have a facelift s40 that I will be trying this on, think it may be more suited to that shape of headlight, just need some help with the wiring. Did you wire both headlights together and then into a switch and then into a spare fuse in the fuse box? Is there anything I am missing there. My tube lights are switchback but I'm not sure if I like the look of the flashing Amber and I'm sure I will then run into the above problems you have mentioned if I splice into the side marker wires. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here's a picture of them in the facelift headlights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts