SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It has been brought to my attention that IPD uses a different port configuration than what I use on the TCV. Since IPD switched solenoids to match the solenoid used in the Phuzzy Motorsports HD-TCV, I feel it is very important to point out the proper configuration for safety reasons.

For orientation, Port 1 is the right-most port when looking at the valve head-on. Port 2 is the left-most port. Port 3 is the center port.

Port 1 is Normally-closed to Common
Port 2 is Normally-open to Common
Port 3 is Common.

Compressor (red) should go to Port 3.
Wastegate (yellow) should go to Port 2.
Intake (blue) should go to Port 1.

It is very important that your Compressor / Wastegate be on Port 3 / Port 2, respectively, which is the normally open configuration. This is in case of solenoid failure, the boost levels will revert to wastegate spring pressure. If you use IPD's configuration of Port 3 / Port 1, respectively, you will be using the normally closed configuration, which means in solenoid failure, you will have a no boost pressure reaching the wastegate, and it will overboost and most force your ECU into limp mode. That sudden spike of boost could also be detrimental to your engine's internals.

The stock TCV also uses the fail-safe design of normally-open.
Please verify that you are running the right configuration! :)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Pic of the new one

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pic of the new one
Thanks for posting the pic. Assuming they are still using the same 35A series valve, that configuration is wrong and will result in overboost if the solenoid fails.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
PHUZZY!!!!

I sent you a PM, but you haven't been on....Can I use your HD-TCV in my 850R, in place of my BCS?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Thanks for posting the pic. Assuming they are still using the same 35A series valve, that configuration is wrong and will result in overboost if the solenoid fails.
If the picture is configured WRONG, then get the picture deleted. Don't show a wrong one. Some will only look at the picture and hook it up like that.

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: IPD uses the same 35A series valve, but theirs has a different port configuration, so their configuration is suited for their valve only! :)

·
Banned
1,515 Posts
UPDATE: IPD uses the same 35A series valve, but theirs has a different port configuration, so their configuration is suited for their valve only! :)
ipd would like to take this opportunity to help with this confusion.

-Phuz is correct that we plumb our valve differently than his valve
-The IPD TCV is not the same as the PHUZ valve. IT IS NOT A STANDARD 35A SERIES VALVE.
-WE DID NOT UPDATE OUR OLDER VERSION VALVE TO MATCH THE PHUZ VALVE BEING OFFERED, as Phuz mentioned on the OP.

- Our valve operates in reverse compared to the standard 35A and needs to be plumbed differently. IPD is utilizing newer "lifting" technology that will reduce friction on wear components and has greater repeatability. We aren't posting to advertise our valve, just simply need to make it clear, that our valve is indeed different and our instructions are correct for OUR valve.

We intentionally put a sticker on the valve that informs customers how the plumbing is connected.

Hope this helps.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have it on my 850-R as ipd shows it and had mine configured to IPDs way. I had emailed Matt and asked some questions and changed my hosing around and it's a world of difference. I was overboosting to 25lbs. Readjusted my wastegate again and changed them around, drove it how fuzzy shows it and it's back to normal now with no overboost! Glad Matt and I could work it out!!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
-The IPD TCV is not the same as the PHUZ valve. IT IS NOT A STANDARD 35A SERIES VALVE.
-WE DID NOT UPDATE OUR OLDER VERSION VALVE TO MATCH THE PHUZ VALVE BEING OFFERED, as Phuz mentioned on the OP.
Is IPD using the 35L series of MAC valves, which uses a "lifting" solenoid different from the solenoid used in the standard 35 series of MAC valves?

Link to MAC's page for the 35L series valve: http://macvalves.com/valves/3-way-valves/35l-series/

Link to MAC's page for the 35 series valve: http://macvalves.com/valves/3-way-valves/35-series/

Also, please confirm that the plumbing of the IPD TCV retains the "fail safe" of the stock TCV; i.e. if the solenoid is de-energized it defaults to a configuration where the "red" vac line from the compressor housing is plumbed into the "yellow" vac line to the wastegate actuator.

·
Banned
1,515 Posts
Is IPD using the 35L series of MAC valves, which uses a "lifting" solenoid different from the solenoid used in the standard 35 series of MAC valves?

Link to MAC's page for the 35L series valve: http://macvalves.com/valves/3-way-valves/35l-series/

Link to MAC's page for the 35 series valve: http://macvalves.com/valves/3-way-valves/35-series/

Also, please confirm that the plumbing of the IPD TCV retains the "fail safe" of the stock TCV; i.e. if the solenoid is de-energized it defaults to a configuration where the "red" vac line from the compressor housing is plumbed into the "yellow" vac line to the wastegate actuator.

Yes- We are using a MAC Lifting design that was built specifically for us and that is why it is plumbed differently. You will retain the "fail safe" of the stock TCV if you configure the lines as stated on our valve. Our instructions will not apply to other valves to companies selling the 35A.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
So Chris, is my hookup wrong in the picture?

·
Banned
1,515 Posts
So Chris, is my hookup wrong in the picture?
You have it installed correctly on the TCV. As long as you have the hoses routed from the TCV, you're all set! Port 1 "RED" goes to the Turbo Compressor Cover. Port 2 "Yellow" goes to the Wastegate Actuator, Port 3 "Blue" goes to the Inlet tube.

Nice work!

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
This thread needs some TLC. Phuzzy should delete his inaccurate posts saying that the pic is wrong which it isn't and that iPd uses the 35A valve which they don't.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
This thread needs some TLC. Phuzzy should delete his inaccurate posts saying that the pic is wrong which it isn't and that iPd uses the 35A valve which they don't.
Definitely some TLC. It started as one vendor showing the correct connecting of THEIR product, then got confusing adding comments of another.

Make the post about how to connect only 1 product and make another thread showing the other. When this post gets old, user will not read it's entirety but only quickly reference the pictures.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well if you get it wrong.... you'll overboost until the car goes into limp mode or breaks whichever happens first..... in my case 27psi....boost cut....limp....P0234.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts