SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I've noticed the massage function isn't doing it's thing. Both front seats. Whether I have the switch in the low or high position (or static lumbar), there just isn't any "oomph" anymore. I took a look at the pumps in the trunk and to my suprise, both are "on" or trying to pump air no matter the switch position. Each are rattling like crazy. My guess is they are on their last leg, but I'm stumped as to why they are trying to pump air wth the switches in the neutral static position?

One thing's for sure: The massage about 5% of what it used to be.

Thank god the car is CPO another year...

Just curious if anyone with massage (Snowin you out there) can tell me if their pumps are active even with the switch in the neutral position? I'll be letting the dealer sort it out, just curious if anyone can check for me. Odd for both pumps to be rattling like crazy and starting to fail at the same time.

Thanks
Tim

·
3,391 Posts
The pumps DO NOT run when the switch is in the center position. Since my massage seats are a retrofit, I have the pumps mounted directly under the seats. As such, I can hear them running if I listen carefully. There is a computer in the seatback which turns the pumps on and off. It seems to me that that would almost have to be malfunctioning for the pumps to run all the time. My only other speculation is that perhaps it shuts off the pump when it reaches a certain PSI in the seat air bladder(s) and since the pumps are't producing enough air pressure, it's never reaching the preset level, so the computer in the seat is causing them to run non-stop. I find it strange that both of your pumps would fail at the same time like that though. Theoretically, you'd be using your drivers side more. I run my massage on the higher setting on the drivers side 100% of the time I'm in my car and no issues yet.

The last time I tried to order a pump, Volvo came back with saying they were no longer available. It'll be interesting to see how they handle it through CPO since I believe they'll be obligated to fix it! Please post your results.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
sorry to dredge this up, I figure if anyone might have some ideas it would be you guys.

When I got my car a few weeks back, massage seats were working fine. I turned them off cause its a little annoying just driving around town.

now my passenger side works sometimes, and the driver's side doesn't work at all. No noise or anything that I can tell they are working. Fuse is good.

I had a total CAN upgrade done but these things don't have a CAN module that I can tell (at least it doesn't show up in VIDA) so i don't think the software updates had anything to do with it.

Any pointers on what I should troubleshoot for starters?

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
kind of a follow up to this, I unhooked the pump hose under the seat and I could feel it running (puffing air) I hooked it back up to the seat and voila it started working again! So all I can guess is there was some sort or pressure differential that I released when I unhooked it. Not saying it is permanently fixed but at least it is working now!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,569 Posts

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts