SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me figure out this groaning sound coming from my steering column? Its a "dum... dum dum... dum" kinda noise... The video has other ambient sounds but turn your speakers up significantly and you can hear the dum's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zClfByFn_yU

Also, I have another sound that makes me think an endlink is bad. Going over small bumps at less than 30mph (could be drowned out above that speed) I can hear a "clock... clock clock.... clock..." sound coming from my front left suspension (sitting in the drivers seat).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
Interesting - our S40 does that too, but only to be at low speeds (at least that I hear) and when nearing full lock.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Anyone?

Is your "clock-clock" noise like that in the video on post #4 of this thread? http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?230557-Bad-LCAs-Pictures-inside

I have this noise happening too, pretty sure it's my LCAs. I also have a groan/creak when I turn into my driveway which has a small bump at the beginning, also happens when going from reverse to forward with the wheel turned. I think it is strut related, mount maybe or bearing, possibly nut, but still trying to pinpoint.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My clock clock noise is like that in the video and I agree that is most likely a bad lower control arm.

The other noise seems to be coming more from the steering column at the bottom more so than anything strut related. Anybody else got an idea?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a quote fron JRL in another thread:

There is a collar bushing at the bottom of the column that goes bad.

You can try to lube it, may work, but most likely needs replacing.

I would say 2 out of 3 of my Gen1's I buy need this bushing replaced.

If the groan stops in a few mintes after you drive away, this is the problem

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
This is a quote fron JRL in another thread:

There is a collar bushing at the bottom of the column that goes bad.

You can try to lube it, may work, but most likely needs replacing.

I would say 2 out of 3 of my Gen1's I buy need this bushing replaced.

If the groan stops in a few mintes after you drive away, this is the problem

Is this DIY worthy?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He said it should be!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All I've got is the video of the lower section of the steering column. The noise seems to be coming from just beyond where you can see in the video. Apparently you take back the interior carpet and should have access to it. But I don't want to go to all this trouble if it's not in fact the bushing.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
Any harm in leaving it be?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, considering I'm one of those guys that absolutely cannot stand any abnormal sounds coming from my car, it may cause some mental harm!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
mine groans too... BUt it doesnt bother me much-- its likely not the LCA's. Mine are brand new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can anyone help me figure out this groaning sound coming from my steering column? Its a "dum... dum dum... dum" kinda noise... The video has other ambient sounds but turn your speakers up significantly and you can hear the dum's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zClfByFn_yU
Had this issue a while back. Ended up being one of the strut bumpers rubbing the strut shaft. Removed the strut assembly, took it apart and lubed the inside of the yellow strut bumper (was the passenger side) with lithium grease. Now quiet like new.

Have someone turn the wheel from side to side while you rest your hand on each spring. You should be able to tell that way which one it is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts