SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning guys. I'm going to attempt to ferret out and fix a water leak today. We bought our '13 xc60 in Jan of this year and it has been nothing but a money pit for us so I'm hoping to diy this particular problem on the cheap. We're getting water in from the top of the windshield in both driver and passenger corners. Its bad enough that the a pillar covers, the leading edge of the headliner and the drivers footwell wall get damp as well as visible drips down the windshield. I'm really hoping its just the sunroof drains backing up into the sunroof tray and making its way in from the top some where. If not I'm not sure what I'm going to do because I can't really pop for a $500 windshield replacement right now. I've read a lot on the drain issue but most seem to be on the 90's and 70's with water coming in strait through the cowl, not the headliner/windshield. Thoughts?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Go to dealer and speak to them about this. Volvo has a well known issue with the OEM sealant used on the windshield losing its effectiveness and the resultant leaks. I was set to deal with this on my own (/13 S80T6) but figured I'd speak to dealer and see what they said before paying for the repair on my own. Although my car was out of warranty they immediately said they (Volvo) would warranty this. Windshield has to come out to reseal -- they broke windshield taking it out (told me could happen) and they replaced with a brand new OEM windshield. Here's why Volvo warrantied this in my opinion -- if car is involved in an accident and the airbags deploy guess what holds the airbags in place to save your face/head -- right, the windshield. If windshield blows out upon airbag deployment they becomes somewhat ineffective and do not properly protect driver/passenger. I suspect that Volvo would like to avoid the resultant lawsuit claiming death/serious injury due to faulty safety system operation due to defect in the sealant they used on the windshield.

So, you have little to lose by talking to dealer and if no go there call Volvo customer service and see where that gets you. Good luck.

Best,
Jeff

·
Registered
860 Posts
Go to dealer and speak to them about this. Volvo has a well known issue with the OEM sealant used on the windshield losing its effectiveness and the resultant leaks. I was set to deal with this on my own (/13 S80T6) but figured I'd speak to dealer and see what they said before paying for the repair on my own. Although my car was out of warranty they immediately said they (Volvo) would warranty this. Windshield has to come out to reseal -- they broke windshield taking it out (told me could happen) and they replaced with a brand new OEM windshield. Here's why Volvo warrantied this in my opinion -- if car is involved in an accident and the airbags deploy guess what holds the airbags in place to save your face/head -- right, the windshield. If windshield blows out upon airbag deployment they becomes somewhat ineffective and do not properly protect driver/passenger. I suspect that Volvo would like to avoid the resultant lawsuit claiming death/serious injury due to faulty safety system operation due to defect in the sealant they used on the windshield.

So, you have little to lose by talking to dealer and if no go there call Volvo customer service and see where that gets you. Good luck.

Best,
Jeff
First time I ever heard of the windshield holding the driver and passenger air bags in place.
The driver side deploys and is fixed to the steering wheel and the passenger side deploys and is fixed to the dash.
I have seem many head on crash simulations and don't remember ever seeing the windshield as part of the function and proper deployment of front air bags.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Interesting theory on the windshield holding the air bags in place. :confused:
Both airbags (the steering wheel and dash) are angled towards the occupants, so how does the windshield come into play during deployment?

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
-- if car is involved in an accident and the airbags deploy guess what holds the airbags in place to save your face/head -- right, the windshield. If windshield blows out upon airbag deployment they becomes somewhat ineffective and do not properly protect driver/passenger.

Best,
Jeff
Lol what ?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Good morning guys. I'm going to attempt to ferret out and fix a water leak today. We bought our '13 xc60 in Jan of this year and it has been nothing but a money pit for us so I'm hoping to diy this particular problem on the cheap. We're getting water in from the top of the windshield in both driver and passenger corners. Its bad enough that the a pillar covers, the leading edge of the headliner and the drivers footwell wall get damp as well as visible drips down the windshield. I'm really hoping its just the sunroof drains backing up into the sunroof tray and making its way in from the top some where. If not I'm not sure what I'm going to do because I can't really pop for a $500 windshield replacement right now. I've read a lot on the drain issue but most seem to be on the 90's and 70's with water coming in strait through the cowl, not the headliner/windshield. Thoughts?
Did you purchase from a 3rd party lot or Volvo Dealer?

I suggest reaching out to Volvo Dealership where vehicle was purchased (if a Volvo) and if not at a Volvo Dealership than Volvo North America. Something like this might be fixed under good will if it can be proven there hasn't been an aftermarket windshield replacement done.

Check CarFax for any possible entries on Glass Replacement, before approaching Volvo. If none exist, then see what can be worked out ASAP.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
First time I ever heard of the windshield holding the driver and passenger air bags in place.
The driver side deploys and is fixed to the steering wheel and the passenger side deploys and is fixed to the dash.
I have seem many head on crash simulations and don't remember ever seeing the windshield as part of the function and proper deployment of front air bags.
NOT SURE IF TRUE....but maybe he is sourcing information from these websites...

A Solid Backstop for Air Bags

Immediately after a severe front impact, your air bags deploy by bursting outward to provide a softer surface on which you and your passengers can land. Air bags depend on an intact windshield to provide a backstop that directs the expansion of these safety devices toward the driver and passengers. If your windshield is damaged, it can explode outward, limiting the effectiveness of your air bags and potentially resulting in serious injuries for you or those with you in the front passenger seat.

http://appleglasscompany.com/how-your-air-bags-work-with-your-windshield-to-protect-you-and-your-passengers/

Your windshield is a “backstop” for your passenger side airbags; the passenger side airbag deploys upward and bounces off the windshield to protect the passenger from going head first into the glass during a crash. The airbags deploy at a speed of 150 - 200 mph. If your windshield is cracked, its strength to withstand this force of the airbags has now decreased immensely and could cause the airbags to be deformed and not deploy properly. Accidents like this, with a cracked windshield could easily result in a major injury for the passenger.

https://glassdoctor.com/dallas/blog/how-does-a-windshield-protect-you-and-your-family-during-a-collision

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am not an engineer -- relaying what the service manager at local Volvo dealer told me. If this is inaccurate so be it I am not offended. However, OP should speak with dealer or Volvo head office -- worth a couple of phone calls/dropping by dealer to see if Volvo will help him out.

Best,
Jeff

·
Registered
798 Posts
NOT SURE IF TRUE....but maybe he is sourcing information from these websites...

A Solid Backstop for Air Bags

Immediately after a severe front impact, your air bags deploy by bursting outward to provide a softer surface on which you and your passengers can land. Air bags depend on an intact windshield to provide a backstop that directs the expansion of these safety devices toward the driver and passengers. If your windshield is damaged, it can explode outward, limiting the effectiveness of your air bags and potentially resulting in serious injuries for you or those with you in the front passenger seat.

http://appleglasscompany.com/how-your-air-bags-work-with-your-windshield-to-protect-you-and-your-passengers/

Your windshield is a “backstop” for your passenger side airbags; the passenger side airbag deploys upward and bounces off the windshield to protect the passenger from going head first into the glass during a crash. The airbags deploy at a speed of 150 - 200 mph. If your windshield is cracked, its strength to withstand this force of the airbags has now decreased immensely and could cause the airbags to be deformed and not deploy properly. Accidents like this, with a cracked windshield could easily result in a major injury for the passenger.

https://glassdoctor.com/dallas/blog/how-does-a-windshield-protect-you-and-your-family-during-a-collision
Those articles are basically ads for windshield replacement by the glass companies. They don’t accurately reflect how airbags are deployed or how they protect occupants. Plenty of Volvo crash tests are available for viewing on Youtube, so this is highly suspect. For example, they also imply occupant ejection if the windshield breaks, but forget to mention seat and shoulder belts prevent ejection. If Volvo will replace windshields out of warranty that is great, but the airbag connection is filled with hot air (so to speak).

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Those articles are basically ads for windshield replacement by the glass companies. They don’t accurately reflect how airbags are deployed or how they protect occupants. Plenty of Volvo crash tests are available for viewing on Youtube, so this is highly suspect. For example, they also imply occupant ejection if the windshield breaks, but forget to mention seat and shoulder belts prevent ejection. If Volvo will replace windshields out of warranty that is great, but the airbag connection is filled with hot air (so to speak).
Figured but I was sourcing these because they were mentioned....but their credibility seemed suspect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts