SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
bought this rear bumper protection plate, it's not OEM and I am a bit skeptical about those double sided tapes. First - if it will withstand heat, freezing cold and car wash. And second - between the tape gaps water and dust will probably collect, this does not look promising in a long run. Has anyone seen how OEM protection is attached?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have installed one of these.

You are correct that a lot of dirt collects back there. So cleaning the area first is very important. I used Dawn Dishwashing liquid to remove all wax first, then alcohol to get it very clean.

I also applied a liberal coat of 3m Adhesion Promoter to the bumper area first, let it dry and then centered it and applied it. I just exposed the tape about an inch and pulled it out from underneath slowly to make sure it stayed centered properly.

Application with the Adhesion Promoter will make stay! No problem! As a matter of fact, if you apply it crooked, it will be almost impossible to remove it to adjust it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi All,
bought this rear bumper protection plate, it's not OEM and I am a bit skeptical about those double sided tapes. First - if it will withstand heat, freezing cold and car wash. And second - between the tape gaps water and dust will probably collect, this does not look promising in a long run. Has anyone seen how OEM protection is attached?
The OEM cover is also attached with double sided tape.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/InstallationInstruction/Document/VCC-419317-5/en-us/XC60(18-)/2019

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
As stated you only get one shot. Practice how you want to install. You can use some painters tape to outline where you want it to go.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
As stated you only get one shot. Practice how you want to install. You can use some painters tape to outline where you want it to go.
+1
And warming the double sided tape right before applying it helps the tape conform to the surface texture. You can use a hair dryer until the tape (before peeling off the adhesive backing liner off) feels warm to the touch. With clean surface and pre-warming, automotive grade tape can affix things quite well for a long time.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I almost forgot. With something that long, in addition to all the suggestions above, I would cut the adhesive backing liner (i.e. that red colored material) in half on the longest tapes. Then, only removing the liner on the short edge parts and a bit off the long tape on the edge (and fold so it points towards the back of the vehicle), only the edges will be able to stick to the rear bumper cover (i.e. the body painted plastic material people call "bumper"). When both sides are lined up (e.g. against alignment markers you made prior to sticking the rear bumper protector), press the left and right edges so it adheres lightly, and gradually pull the red liners that are sticking out of the protector. As you pull more of the red liners, more and more double sided tape material are exposed from the sides, gradually inching inwards. Keep pressing the top surface of the rear bumper protector as you expose more double sided tape this way, until you reach the center.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Apply liquid dishwashing soap with water mix with a sprayer to be able to align it easily. Then fix with masking tape and Dry it out with a hair Dryer or heat gun

That’s how I install most stuff and window tint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I almost forgot. With something that long, in addition to all the suggestions above, I would cut the adhesive backing liner (i.e. that red colored material) in half on the longest tapes. Then, only removing the liner on the short edge parts and a bit off the long tape on the edge (and fold so it points towards the back of the vehicle), only the edges will be able to stick to the rear bumper cover (i.e. the body painted plastic material people call "bumper"). When both sides are lined up (e.g. against alignment markers you made prior to sticking the rear bumper protector), press the left and right edges so it adheres lightly, and gradually pull the red liners that are sticking out of the protector. As you pull more of the red liners, more and more double sided tape material are exposed from the sides, gradually inching inwards. Keep pressing the top surface of the rear bumper protector as you expose more double sided tape this way, until you reach the center.
Thanks for detail explanation. Do you have YouTube video?:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi All,

Do you mind share the link of product?

·
Registered
16 Posts
One more tip...

I have installed things that use 3-M tape and have added extra strips of the tape to "fill-in" the gaps, (just to make sure). The tape is easy to purchase at any auto supply stores and even Walley World.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Thanks for detail explanation. Do you have YouTube video?:)
Unfortunately, no. The closest illustration I have is a picture I took of clear film installation on the engine hood cover of my xc90. See how I split the liner into left and right halves, and that allows gradual adhesion of the piece (in this case, a rear bumper protector) while you line up the piece. It is a lot more complicated in the case of the clear paint protection film, but similar principle applies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts