SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

At what point do you cancel your C70 order?

3K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  T5_awd 
#1 ·
Delivery date on my C70 pushed back again! I don't think its the dealer's fault but I do think Volvo marketing really screwed up. I've seen the ads, drove the test car, but can't even purchase a vehicle I ordered over 4 months ago. What kind of customer service is that?

Summer is almost here. Am seriously considering canceling my order and getting something else. Anyone else thinking of canceling?

#2 ·
Re: At what point do you cancel your C70 order? (peak)

First they said week 9, then 10, 12, 14 and now 19-20.
I orderd my car last year. The first one to order (I think).

And they also said that the 200 first new C70 would be delivered to Swedish buyers. Now I read about a guy in the UK that got his car before easter.

#3 ·

I never had an order in, but was 90% convinced this was the car I wanted.

However, after driving it, I was disappointed in the experience. I bought a Nissan 350Z Touring Roadster the very next day, and am loving every minute in it. In sum, winner for luxury: Volvo. Winner for kicks and grins: Nissan.

Doesn't mean that I might not come back and buy the Volvo in a couple years, after all the hubbub has died down some, but in the meantime, l've got a fun car to drive, I'm enjoying the spring temps with the top down, and I got a great bargain on the car I bought, as it was a rare, left-over 2005. Saved me around $10,000 or so as compared to a new Volvo - which would in fact have been one year old by the time I bought it, unless I waited even longer to do an OSD for an '07.

For me, the better choice was to go elsewhere rather than wait.

#4 ·

Quote, originally posted by peak »
Delivery date on my C70 pushed back again! I don't think its the dealer's fault but I do think Volvo marketing really screwed up. I've seen the ads, drove the test car, but can't even purchase a vehicle I ordered over 4 months ago. What kind of customer service is that?
Do you have a confirmed order number (from the factory; my memory is blanking at the moment for the acronym)? Absent the confirmed order number, you are simply in a que at the dealer and have nothing that can be relied on for a delivery schedule.

Summer is almost here. Am seriously considering canceling my order and getting something else. Anyone else thinking of canceling?
Cancellation is a decision that you and you alone will make. Try test driving some of the cars you are considering and think if they would be a car you could live with for the next 3+ years. If the answer is yes (that you could live with the car for the next 3+ years), then I would say you have your answer.

#6 ·
Re: At what point do you cancel your C70 order? (Beach girl)

Quote, originally posted by Beach girl »
I never had an order in, but was 90% convinced this was the car I wanted.

However, after driving it, I was disappointed in the experience. I bought a Nissan 350Z Touring Roadster the very next day, and am loving every minute in it. In sum, winner for luxury: Volvo. Winner for kicks and grins: Nissan.

Those are damn good cars http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#7 ·
Re: (peak)

The same things happened to me when I was probably the first person to order a
2004 V70R (July 5th/2003, the day after they announced the model). Other people
kept on getting bumped ahead of my order until I started sending nasty letters to
Volvo NA - they had cars for sale on eBay before I even got a confirmed delivery date!

#8 ·
Re: (e1618978)

Quote, originally posted by e1618978 »
The same things happened to me when I was probably the first person to order a
2004 V70R (July 5th/2003, the day after they announced the model). Other people
kept on getting bumped ahead of my order until I started sending nasty letters to
Volvo NA - they had cars for sale on eBay before I even got a confirmed delivery date!

If you make any big changes (like man to aut, or change color) just before your car is going to production I know that it will be delayed. But I made my final changes in december last year....

#9 ·
Re: (T5_awd)

Quote, originally posted by T5_awd »
If you make any big changes (like man to aut, or change color) just before your car is going to production I know that it will be delayed. But I made my final changes in december last year....

Nope - my delay was due to higher ranked dealers getting cars first - I didn't make any changes until after I got action from Volvo NA. I changed my color and options right before "last change date" with no delay as a result.

#10 ·

Nope - my delay was due to higher ranked dealers getting cars first - I didn't make any changes until after I got action from Volvo NA. I changed my color and options right before "last change date" with no delay as a result.

Nobody gets cars "first"; that would be a bunch of baloney. It would violate the franchise agreement. All Volvo-exclusive retailers are treated the same, regardless of size. A larger retailer gets more cars.

Yannis

#11 ·
Re: (peak)

I just got a VIN this week when I was told the delivery date was pushed back to mid June.

At least I think that means I'm in line for a C70.
A VIN means that your order has been transformed from a paper order to an actual chassis.

Yannis

#12 ·
Re: (GrecianVolvo)

Quote, originally posted by GrecianVolvo »
Nobody gets cars "first"; that would be a bunch of baloney. It would violate the franchise agreement. All Volvo-exclusive retailers are treated the same, regardless of size. A larger retailer gets more cars.

Yannis

Yannis - when it happened you told me that the bigger dealers deserved to get their cars first. This is kind of a change of tune for you.

The reason that big dealers get their cars first is that they get bigger allocations, and those allocations are not tied to number of pre-orders. I ordered from a small dealer, who was being penalised for not having a nice looking dealership - some dealer in Virginia with a smaller pre-order list, but a bigger allocation, had their cars on eBay before I even had a delivery date set.

Modified by e1618978 at 8:49 AM 4-27-2006

#13 ·

Yannis - when it happened you told me that the bigger dealers deserved to get their cars first. This is kind of a change of tune for you.

WHat I feel and what is a fact and stated in the franchise agreement are two different things. Remember, I do not RUN VCNA...

Quote »
The reason that big dealers get their cars first is that they get bigger allocations, and those allocations are not tied to number of pre-orders.

A larger allocation does not ensure a car geting there first.

Quote »
I ordered from a small dealer, who was being penalised for not having a nice looking dealership

That is an entirely different matter. If a retailer does not meet the MINIMUM standards set by the manufacturer, naturally they will get the same treatment...It has nothing to do with volume.

Yannis

#14 ·

WThat is an entirely different matter. If a retailer does not meet the MINIMUM standards set by the manufacturer, naturally they will get the same treatment...It has nothing to do with volume.

Punishing customers for the appearence of their local dealership is foolish. I can see a rationalle for giving allocated cars to better dealers first, but only if there isn't a customer with a deposit on that car.

#16 ·

Punishing customers for the appearence of their local dealership is foolish. I can see a rationalle for giving allocated cars to better dealers first, but only if there isn't a customer with a deposit on that car.

Appearance is PART of a store's commitment to excel. I don't care what anyone says but if you line up (in front of me) ten salespeople and all ten are not dressed well, they have chewed up nails, their shoes are dirty/not polished, their ties are not straight, etc...well, you catch my drift...I GUARANTEE YOU that not one will be one that is considered to be successful. Coincidence?

Yannis

#17 ·
Re: (V50_T5)

Quote, originally posted by V50_T5 »
saw the C70 for the first time yesterday. asked if I paid cash now when could I take delivery? answer, late Feb 2007.

That is when you waive "SAYONARA" and never go back...

Yannis

#18 ·

That is when you waive "SAYONARA" and never go back...
Definitely time to find another dealer to do business with. Frankly, if you wait until Feb of 2007, you might find that the competition from other manufacturers has caused Volvo to have to put some significant incentives on the table in order to move the C70....

#19 ·

Ordered mine last Tuesday, will get it Feb-Mar 2007
Well, at least they have some time to sort out some issues with the model as such before they start building mine. Also, this will give me some time to reconsider colour and specification before they build it. Seems as if all demo cars are either red or silver. Wouldn't mind see some other variants in the real life as well.

Cheers,
Stefan

#20 ·
Re: (SilverDude)

I can understand all the frustraitions of not getting a delivered car on time, especially a conv when spring is here , however the wait might be very well worth it. It's the new C70, I'd say hold out, I would . but then again , there's a point when too much is too much. I was told 2 days ago , it I paid cash now, I could get mine late Feb 2007. just in time for summer 07?

#22 ·

Quote, originally posted by V50_T5 »
saw the C70 for the first time yesterday. asked if I paid cash now when could I take delivery? answer, late Feb 2007.

"Volvo the Un-launch car company" either that or the Swedes are taking what Howard Stern once said to hart, that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

#23 ·
Yep, I ordered my C70 two weeks ago and they said I can pick it up at the plant in Sweden in Feb 2007. Guess I will just wait and enjoy it then, not sure I want to drive it home in Feb Sweden weather. Espically with stupid BMW and Mercedes out on the roads with only rear wheel drive. Those cars are all over the road!

#24 ·
Re: (dagovna)

Quote, originally posted by dagovna »

"Volvo the Un-launch car company" either that or the Swedes are taking what Howard Stern once said to hart, that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Yannis

#26 ·
Re: (Bradley W)

Quote, originally posted by Bradley W »
It seems so crazy to have to wait so long for a new car.

Yeah, buying a car is (for most people) an emotional decision. Take a look at the LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG waiting lists for cars such as Miata, Mini, Prius, etc. Not to mention the willingness of some people to pay OVER MSRP!

Yannis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.