SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Well... that's one way of a shop avoiding the hassle of exhausting the weld fumes...

·
Registered
367 Posts
im guessing you live in a area thats warmer all year round? Indiana sucks for something like this...the weather has a complete mind of its own

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never seen a bay outside before lol
They're relatively common at exhaust/welding shops here in Texas. These guys are some of the best around. If any of you Dallas guys need welding or exhaust work, they are THE place to go. Davidson Muffler in McKinney. They were building this as well. Not my style honestly, but quite impressive.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
143 Posts
Is that all your having done is the removal of the resonator? Everything else stock? Just a straight pipe in its place? What are the benefits of this? Whats the sound difference?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Is that all your having done is the removal of the resonator? Everything else stock? Just a straight pipe in its place? What are the benefits of this? Whats the sound difference?
A little deeper sound. Not very noticeable in the cabin though.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
It's used to prevent rain squeal typically, where the exhaust/resonator rubs against the driveshaft since they're so close together. Essentially the cold rain/snow touches the bottom of the exhaust and causes it to contract on the bottom, then bend upward and rub the driveshaft--causing a horrible squealing noise. Honestly, I don't find removing the resonator and putting in a straight pipe to be the best option since one can just shimmy the exhaust and move it a bit is all to fix the problem while preserving the stock sound. Plus it's a lot cheaper. It's what I did and I haven't had rain squeal for years now. I guess people prefer the way the exhaust sounds without the resonator. :p

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
The shop that did mine here in FL only had one indoor bay, 4 outdoor with 2 of them covered. It's pretty common here.

The guy also mentioned that my cat felt really hot and that it was probably clogged. I didn't pick up on what he was offering me at the time, but I would have declined anyway.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Forgot to post my thoughts after I got back to work. Took the guys about an hour or so to do, it was relatively straightforward obviously. The sound really didn't change all that much, with the windows up you'd never know anything was different. the exhaust note is a little more apparent with the windows down. Just enough for me honestly. The youtube vids of it make it sound a lot louder than it actually is. If you're looking to prevent rain squeal, remove the EBD and replace the res with a straight pipe for sure. Make sure they cut the flange off the resonator so it keeps the factory mount behind the cat so if you decide to go Cat-Back in the future it's still a simple bolt on. I'm overall pretty pleased with it, it's just enough sound for now. My butt dyno says there's a tad more bottom end grunt, I think it's a placebo effect though. Oh yeah, you do hear the turbo a bit more now, which is nice :).

I may change out the rear section in the future, it looks like the only place to stick a muffler (non stock one) would be in the similar spot as the resonator, and then pipes only running out the back. I kinda like the subtle tone it has now, I've had loud cars in the past and i think i'm done with that. I must be getting old...and im not even 30 yet.

Cliffs: If you're going for sound, dont bother with only this...you need to swap the rear box as well. The rear box does most of the silencing. If you're worried it'll be too loud, trust me...it's not.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts