SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
MY21 XC90 T8 Recharge Inscription
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had problems setting up the free WiFi trial with AT&T? I purchased my XC90 T8 (2021) in December. I went on the AT&T website last week to set it up (in advance of a family road trip). But the website said “VIN not found”. I contacted my dealer who tried as well and he was also unable to start the free trial.

The SIM card is in my trunk. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Has anyone else had problems setting up the free WiFi trial with AT&T? I purchased my XC90 T8 (2021) in December. I went on the AT&T website last week to set it up (in advance of a family road trip). But the website said "VIN not found". I contacted my dealer who tried as well and he was also unable to start the free trial.

The SIM card is in my trunk. Any ideas?
Check to see if it is upside down. Sometimes the SIM may be shipped that way. Otherwise, the SIM could be defective which requires the dealer to order a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The SIM card is in correctly. The problem is just signing up for the service. AT&T website says my VIN is not found.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Is this the AT&T Mobility url that you are accessing: AT&T

Just in case, verify that your VIN is using a digit zero (0) and not a letter "oh" (O). (Apologies, but thinking of possibilities.)

Reactions: sickk21

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this the AT&T Mobility url that you are accessing: AT&T

Just in case, verify that your VIN is using a digit zero (0) and not a letter "oh" (O). (Apologies, but thinking of possibilities.)
I just tried it again using your link. Pasted my VIN from the Volvo on Call app. Still didn't work.

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
715 Posts
I just tried it again using your link. Pasted my VIN from the Volvo on Call app. Still didn't work.
Just call customer care and they will send a sim or help with relinking. Do not use att support.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just call customer care and they will send a sim or help with relinking. Do not use att support.
Called Volvo's customer care (thanks). They said the dealer never linked my SIM card to my VIN. They were able to do it and said it may take 24 hours for AT&T to activate the card & WiFi. Makes me seriously doubt taking my car back to that dealership for any future service appointments.

Thanks everyone!

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
715 Posts
Called Volvo's customer care (thanks). They said the dealer never linked my SIM card to my VIN. They were able to do it and said it may take 24 hours for AT&T to activate the card & WiFi. Makes me seriously doubt taking my car back to that dealership for any future service appointments.

Thanks everyone!
It's not their fault. Sometimes the VIN and SIM pairing fails from some reason or another.

·
Registered
855 Posts
After reading this thread I remember that this was a common problem when I bought my car way back in 2016. I spent quite a bit of time trying to sort it out. Sorry to see that it still happens. It seems like an easy mistake to make, but you would think that the phone/internet support people would know this by now.

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
It's not something most customers take advantage of. I have very few customers who ask about it when I go over the car either before of after the sale. So they probably don't deal with issues on it much.

I'm not sure exactly how it all works, but we just put a SIM in... there isn't a paring other than for Volvo On Call. But I've replaced SIM cards and it's just pull one out and put the new one in. I checked with a service advisor and he said the only thing they do is turn on the telematics module for the data to work. Perhaps they missed that? Though then your On Call wouldn't have worked. I'd hope your sales person spent the time with you setting that up, which would have caught the issue. Just to see if maybe we too were missing something I pulled a random vin for one of our cars and it worked fine on ATT site.

Reactions: sickk21

·
Registered
1,332 Posts

Thanks everyone!
Apparently you`ve never made a mistake or forgotten to do something in your whole life or at your job? Must be nice.

·
Registered
2021 XC90 T6 AWD
135 Posts
Back in February 2021 same thing happened to me with my 21' XC90. Had to call Volvo. SIM card was never linked or activated by Volvo. Took 24 hours. Then I was able to finally link it to my existing AT&T wireless account.

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
It's not something most customers take advantage of. I have very few customers who ask about it when I go over the car either before of after the sale. So they probably don't deal with issues on it much.

I'm not sure exactly how it all works, but we just put a SIM in... there isn't a paring other than for Volvo On Call. But I've replaced SIM cards and it's just pull one out and put the new one in. I checked with a service advisor and he said the only thing they do is turn on the telematics module for the data to work. Perhaps they missed that? Though then your On Call wouldn't have worked. I'd hope your sales person spent the time with you setting that up, which would have caught the issue. Just to see if maybe we too were missing something I pulled a random vin for one of our cars and it worked fine on ATT site.
Maybe your SIMs are pre-approved by AT&T already. It would be a lot of hassle to requires service people to request for approval/pairing for each SIM. We never know what's the trick behind it.

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
Yeah IDK... all I can do is add my data to the pool here for others to make sense of =-D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts