SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I very often take a part in autocross events and since the last year also started to take a part in time-attack events. The transmission in Volvo is very sensitive and I think that is very reasonable to have have information about transmission oil temperature. There is no problem to buy a gauge, but the main problem is how and where to install temp. sensor.

Most of the time temp.sensors look like that :

I'm thinking to install a sensor into external pipe from from the transmission to an external cooler, but I need some adapter ..like this one

Does anyone knows when can buy it?

What do you think ?! Any an another ideas/recommendation ?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
You are on the right path. Assuming you can't find a standard fitting to put it in the cooler line, find your nearest friendly machine shop to make you something that will work.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I had on made out of a aluminum block when they put my trans cooler in. Jegs also sells them. As I mention in another thread you should flush after events.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
No need to go a machine shop and pay out the ass for a part.

There are tons of kits out there that will give you a remote mount filter (with a spin on filter you can cage easily for the trans fluid) and a place to screw in the probe of any aftermarket trans temp gauge.

Typically you want the sensor in the hottest part of the trans fluid circuit, on the output side of the trans where hot fluid comes out to be cooled.

Here is a link to summit:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-10677/overview/

Can't get stupid iPad to post links right, you may have to copy an paste that.

Keep in mind you don't have to use this ugly trans temp gauge, you can use something else if you want.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi spinall4

Thanks for your advice. I know what you're talking about , but I don't want to install ext. trans. filter , it's useless for my setup.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Hi spinall4

Thanks for your advice. I know what you're talking about , but I don't want to install ext. trans. filter , it's useless for my setup.
Well that sucks. I bet if you look around Jegs or Summit you can find what you are looking for, maybe designed for engine oil instead of trans fluid, but up I can see no harm in using it either way. The auto meter style trans temp sensor is pretty much industry standard, shouldn't be too hard to figure out what they use and then look for a sensor block that will work.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
why it's sucks ?!:)) I don't that it's necessary to have filter in trans oil line.
I just think the external filter/temp sender packaged into one part makes things mighty simple.

If you have a 06 up GT like me, super sweet Volvo engineering saw fit to not include a dip stick, or place to fill/drain the trans fluid easy.

Having the external filter also gives several benefits. The trans "filter" in most newer auto's is more of a screen than a filter to stop the pump from picking up large chunks of crap. Yes, it's one more filter to change, but not that big of deal.

The external filter adds 1/2 a quart of fluid capacity, and since no one makes a deep trans pans for our cars not a bad thing.

Also gives you a spot to mount a neodinum trash magnet.

:)

The extrna of filter plus a good large external trans cooler makes a good 1-2 punch for the Volvo auto trans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts