SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had them on my previous car and loved them. They virtually eliminated all blind spots and there's a pretty big one on the driver's side of this car. Before I get one of those stick-ons for my sideview mirror does anyone know of a source for a replacement heated aspherical mirror for the S60?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Try and track down a part number for the driver's side mirror glass on a UK-spec car.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Back when I took delivery of my first S60 I was poking around VIDA to see if such a thing existed. I didn't see any part numbers that would indicate aspherical glass. I had these on all my previous VAG vehicles and I agree it would be very useful on the 60.

I'll look again.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Any luck with this guys?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I haven't found anything concrete yet. I have a few notes out to some Volvo colleagues hoping to get a definitive answer.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Great, i'll check back in later

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
IPD has a nice video showing how to remove and replace the mirror glass:

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
IPD has a nice video showing how to remove and replace the mirror glass:

Cool link, I'll also link it in my other post regarding the light housing removal from the mirror assembly!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Curious that they list those mirror glass parts as compatible with 2010-2012 S60s, given that the 2010 S60 was a completely different car. I suppose I never stopped to look at the mirror shapes that closely before. Maybe they really are the same shape?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Curious that they list those mirror glass parts as compatible with 2010-2012 S60s, given that the 2010 S60 was a completely different car.
I totally agree!! I hope people realize that these mirrors from Dubstop are made FOR Volvo and are not Volvo parts. I'm sure these mirrors will fit but not to the same shape and tolerance as OEM. Even with Volvo part numbers, I highly doubt we can order Euro (or UK) parts in North America. So Vlad, would you mind taking orders?! ;)

·
Registered
780 Posts
I totally agree!! I hope people realize that these mirrors from Dubstop are made FOR Volvo and are not Volvo parts. I'm sure these mirrors will fit but not to the same shape and tolerance as OEM. Even with Volvo part numbers, I highly doubt we can order Euro (or UK) parts in North America. So Vlad, would you mind taking orders?! ;)
If you trust me with your money... :p

·
Registered
49 Posts
Alternatively, you can use your regular mirrors to eliminate blind spots. Here in the U.S., when I used to race I was taught to a) put my left cheek against the driver's side window and move the left hand mirror outward until the right side of the image went along the side of the car, then b) I would lean over the armrest putting my head in the middle of the car and do the same . . . adjusting the right side mirror such that its left side of the image went alongside the right side of the car. Most people I know like to set their mirrors this way, but they do it from their normal seated driving position which let's them see along the side of their car but creates the blind spots we do not want.

By physically moving your line of sight to these two positions before setting the mirrors, you force yourself to move the mirrors outward. You 'lose' the normal view along side your car when you are driving, but the upshot is that you no longer have blind spots. If you do it correctly, and you should test it to make sure -- if you have done it correctly, as you drive you can watch cars leave your rear-view mirror and as they move along side you they literally move off of your rear-view mirror and into the appropriate side view mirror . . . and then into your peripheral vision once they move past your side view mirror. In other words, no more blind spots. I guess you move your blind spot to the side of your car which shouldn't really matter.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
If the side mirrors are adjusted properly, you will have no blind spots.
Alternatively, you can use your regular mirrors to eliminate blind spots. Here in the U.S., when I used to race I was taught to a) put my left cheek against the driver's side window and move the left hand mirror outward until the right side of the image went along the side of the car, then b) I would lean over the armrest putting my head in the middle of the car and do the same . . . adjusting the right side mirror such that its left side of the image went alongside the right side of the car. Most people I know like to set their mirrors this way, but they do it from their normal seated driving position which let's them see along the side of their car but creates the blind spots we do not want.

By physically moving your line of sight to these two positions before setting the mirrors, you force yourself to move the mirrors outward. You 'lose' the normal view along side your car when you are driving, but the upshot is that you no longer have blind spots. If you do it correctly, and you should test it to make sure -- if you have done it correctly, as you drive you can watch cars leave your rear-view mirror and as they move along side you they literally move off of your rear-view mirror and into the appropriate side view mirror . . . and then into your peripheral vision once they move past your side view mirror. In other words, no more blind spots. I guess you move your blind spot to the side of your car which shouldn't really matter.

Hope this helps.
+1. EXACTLY! :) So few people know how to do this! I can't believe they never taught it to me in driver's ed and still don't. It's absolutely critical and I can't drive any car without adjusting the sideview mirrors properly. Adjusting the mirrors in the manner described totally eliminates the need for expensive aspherical mirrors. I learned about it in a Car & Driver magazine several years ago.

·
Registered
467 Posts
My dad taught me this when I started driving his '73 Dart Swinger. Of course it only had a mirror on the driver's side.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The mirrors arrived but sadly they were for the previous gen. Just thought I would update since I posted the link earlier. Supplier said he would email me when they have the correct mirror. I'll update if any interest..

·
Registered
37 Posts
The mirrors arrived but sadly they were for the previous gen. Just thought I would update since I posted the link earlier. Supplier said he would email me when they have the correct mirror. I'll update if any interest..
Too bad. That is something that I am interested in doing to my car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same here.
Also waiting for their update. Wrong size. Wanted a tinted mirror...

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 20 Posts