SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
61 - 80 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Re: (Warpedcow)

Quote, originally posted by Warpedcow »
IMHO the only problem with the US headlamps is that they are always adjusted too low from the factory or dealer. The brights could be brighter but again, when adjusted properly, I have no trouble spotting a dear in the road 1/2 mile away...

There are no "brights".

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
simple question:
why does volvo not believe in marketing their products?

The XC60 is the first one i have seen really marketed in a long time, and they only focus on one thing even though the vehicle has a lot of other cool things going for it.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: (AthruC)

Quote, originally posted by AthruC »
Most cars do not come with the headlamps adjusted properly from the factory (except for Acura's, the older Ford Explorers, and the last generation Maxima, which are adjusted too high). Most dealers do not properly aim the headlamps during vehicle preparation, or during the regularly scheduled maintenance.

Oh please, every car I have owned has had the headlights aimed correctly. My '01 XC is perfect. The fogs work well, and when I use the high beams I can see beautifully (these are normal halogen, nothing special).

Its a moot point regarding aiming because even after adjusting the R headlights up, its still not even close to what my XC puts out.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Re: (850arrrsaylikepirate)

Chris,

Thanks for your assistance. I love my R and plan on keeping it for a long time. Many of the issues stated especially angle gear I've had and it was replaced by Volvo since I noticed the issue the day after I purchased it (used). I think the headlights are fine and I just found out that my driver's side was replaced incorrectly by Volvo when I took it to an independent mechanic for a fuse issue. It's much better now... Unfortunately, many on this site have lost faith in Volvo as a dealership we can trust to go to when needing service. I'm also sadened by the fact that they did away with the R. The issues stated in this post are definite problems/issues and these would be some of the reasons keeping me from beeing a repeat customer. My sentiments would be if a car like the R that is supposed to be at the top of Volvo's lineup has this many issues what makes me think any of the other models wouldn't have as many issues...I'd probably go buy a Camry V6
. Another issue perhaps not brought up is the lack of Volvo mechanics to understand their product; namely the R. Again thanks for getting involved.

Ara

·
Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: Ask VCNA thread (cdauerer)

After being told who you are I do hope you can provide real answers to these current questions.
Volvo really needs to open source these items and certain codes if they are finished with the R (which they are).
We have the right to install our own shocks without a code being splattered all over the dash and the lights work properly.
Volvo needs to give the specs for the collar gear and other (failure prone) parts so that if anyone is industrious and have the resources they can make their own. Lord knows almost anyone could do a better job than Volvo has with these!
The 06's are going out of warranty and the 07's will within a year to a year and a half, 04's and 05's are OUT and high mileage cars will need replacemsnts SOON!

Final question of the day;
WHEN IS VOLVO BRINGING A DIRECT INJECTION DIESEL TO THE US?

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Quote »
Volvo needs to give the specs for the collar gear and other (failure prone) parts so that if anyone is industrious and have the resources they can make their own. Lord knows almost anyone could do a better job than Volvo has with these!
Just a thought - would they even be allowed to? Doesn't Haldex own the engineering design?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Re: (MagoonR)

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »

There are no "brights".

I was referring to the lighting mode where the beam shifts up and refocuses.

FWIW, my S60 T5 headlights were adjusted too low from the factory/dealer as well. The XC70 in the family seems to be adjusted right, yet the S80 (w/Xenon option) and V70 T5 were also too low originally.

All of the above Volvos have lights far better than the variety of American cars I grew up with in my family.

·
Registered
63,013 Posts

That would be a very DIM "high" beam... certainly not bright!

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Re: (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
That would be a very DIM "high" beam... certainly not bright!

Bright enough to see plenty far, when properly aimed. IMHO the halogen brights on my T5 didn't let me see much farther down the road, if any, than the R's properly-aimed xenons.

At some point I plan on getting the non-coated D2C bulbs, but I don't feel the need for more light output and will probably wait until I have one OEM bulb burn out.

·
Registered
63,013 Posts

Let me tell you a story about the R headlights.
I live on what (can be at times) a VERY dark curvy, hilly 1/2 mile cul de sac.
Kids and dogs are always there in the spring, summer and fall. The road goes down then turns with a very blind corner.
When I got the 04 we went out and I noticed I couldn't see as far as I could before, so after I figured out the height adjustment, adjusted the fogs, etc I went out again.
Better but not great so then I got the 02 AWD out and brought both cars to the same spot.
With regular halogens I could see almost 150 ft. FARTHER down the street (we measured) and the light was much brighter (this was on high beams for both cars) so, as I said, DIM "high" beams..
These were the "great" Volvo Bi Xenons, sorry, these are the biggest light joke in modern automotive history.
After I got the 06 with Euro lights, WOW what a difference!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Re: (850arrrsaylikepirate)

Why can't a company come up with a euro headlight conversion? You could send in your US spec units and get a core return. That should definately make it cheaper than trying to source OEM euro units.

·
Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: (I Roll)

Quote, originally posted by I Roll »
Why can't a company come up with a euro headlight conversion? You could send in your US spec units and get a core return. That should definately make it cheaper than trying to source OEM euro units.

I think if someone had 50 firm orders they could.
It's actually easy to do just very time consuming, plus a proper reflector has to be made to replace the DRL reflector

·
Registered
910 Posts
Re: Ask VCNA thread (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Final question of the day;
WHEN IS VOLVO BRINGING A DIRECT INJECTION DIESEL TO THE US?

See: http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=119281

Not sure if it will be direct injection but it's a diesel none-the-less.

Fingers crossed....

·
Registered
21,310 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Warpedcow »

Bright enough to see plenty far, when properly aimed. IMHO the halogen brights on my T5 didn't let me see much farther down the road, if any, than the R's properly-aimed xenons.

At some point I plan on getting the non-coated D2C bulbs, but I don't feel the need for more light output and will probably wait until I have one OEM bulb burn out.

Don't agree at all. My all halogen lights in my Pathfinder had better high beams. The Xenon low and Halogen highs in my MDX are so much better it's not funny.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
I just want the suspension out.....

My DRL's off on my 2004.

Its that simple, I'm happy with the car. The collar/angle gear I can deal with.

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,123 Posts
Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

I really do not think Volvo understands performance suspension.

When you consider they had the best and brightest from Volvo, Monroe, Motorola, and Ohlins working on this with all the simulation tools they collectively had, and look what they delivered. In their minds, suspension that was at parity, at least in Europe, with an M3. Not even close. And mind you they had the freedom knowing that the R was for the enthusiast, there was always the non-Rs for the soccer moms, so no restriction there. They even got to specify the road contact patch, the Pirelli tires. All of these resources and control should have been an engineers and customers' delight.

I have had both an 2004 and a 2005, with various SW loads. All were/are unpredictable, and certainly not "skyhook", more like "jack hammer" when going over successive bumps. At least it is not boring, when I was commuting over the same roads each day, on the more aggressive sections of the road, it was like a new game each day, in regard to how will the car handle the same surface, same speed, same conditions today as it did yesterday.

Have you ever noticed that when there are Volvos in a race series, that the privateer cars do better than the direct sponsered cars?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Re: (rogersampson)

Quote, originally posted by rogersampson »

Have you ever noticed that when there are Volvos in a race series, that the privateer cars do better than the direct sponsered cars?

Can you please provide some examples?

Being successful in a race series is all dependent upon the teams competency level, resources, funds, etc.

61 - 80 of 323 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.