SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been following this forum for a while now, and I haven't seen any discussion on the ASC feature of the radio. (I have the 'upgraded' radio in the S60 AWD, MY2002.) I'm curious how it is supposed to function, since I have not noticed a difference in sound as the interior noise level changes. (I still have to turn up the radio on the highway and down when I'm in town.) I asked the dealer about this today and he said the change would be so subtle that I wouldn't notice it. Thus my obvious question: What is the purpose of the ASC if it is not noticable?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My read on the ASC feature is that it is more subtle than pronounced. Becasue I enjoy louder music, which in part drowns out road noise, etc. at higher speeds, the slower speeds give a bit more volume than I need at that point, though it is less loud than at higher speeds. I've had this feature on other cars where it was more obvious. It would be nice if the differences were more noticeable, I agree.

quote:

Originally posted by Veilig:
I've been following this forum for a while now, and I haven't seen any discussion on the ASC feature of the radio. (I have the 'upgraded' radio in the S60 AWD, MY2002.) I'm curious how it is supposed to function, since I have not noticed a difference in sound as the interior noise level changes. (I still have to turn up the radio on the highway and down when I'm in town.) I asked the dealer about this today and he said the change would be so subtle that I wouldn't notice it. Thus my obvious question: What is the purpose of the ASC if it is not noticable?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

In the menu of the radio you can change a setting for the ASC.

It can be put on low/medium/high. I have it on medium and notice a change in volume around 50km/h and 100km/h.

I will set it to high to test out what this does actually, but the current setting means it has the correct volume at any speed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Is this feature on older Volvos as well?

I used to notice the volume fluctutate on the stereo, but I thought it was a malfunction not a feature. It happens every once in a while on my 1999 Volvo X-Country. I think it might have also happened on my 1996 850 GLT.

TIA.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Theodore Ruxpin:
Is this feature on older Volvos as well?

Yes, it is a feature on older Volvos as well. I am not sure what the exact stereo systems are, but some of them had this feature, even dating back to the Volvo 780. If you have your audio-systems owners manual, it should/might be in there.

-Drew

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Hey, how do you get into the radio menu? I accidently ended up there once about 2 years ago in my S80 but have no clue how to repeat it. I have the upgraded Dolby Pro-logic head unit in both Volvos and would appreciate any hints you might have for accessing the radio menu options.

Thanks.

-rdo

quote:

Originally posted by Potter17:
Hi,

In the menu of the radio you can change a setting for the ASC.

It can be put on low/medium/high. I have it on medium and notice a change in volume around 50km/h and 100km/h.

I will set it to high to test out what this does actually, but the current setting means it has the correct volume at any speed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Rollie,

1) Switch off the radio
2) Put key in position 1 (one)
3) Press on/off button on radio
4) Hold until menu appears (app. 5 seconds)
5) Scroll through the menu with the selector (i.e. Radio FM --> AM --> CD etc.) or radio station button (can't remember which one)

Should work

Hans

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hans,

You've been extremely helpful. You've shown us a passage way into the secrets of our Volvo that the owner's manual nor most sales representatives have any knowledge of...

But I discovered a category on the radio menu titled SRC. And, it's default was set at OFF. Since I don't know what it is--I can't know if changing the default will effect anything. Once again, on the issue of SRC the Owner's manual is silent. Any insights comrades?

Thanks again.

quote:

Originally posted by Potter17:
Hi Rollie,

1) Switch off the radio
2) Put key in position 1 (one)
3) Press on/off button on radio
4) Hold until menu appears (app. 5 seconds)
5) Scroll through the menu with the selector (i.e. Radio FM --> AM --> CD etc.) or radio station button (can't remember which one)

Should work

Hans

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Rusty,

From the top of my head:

SRC is used to have a different mix between high and low tones when the volume is low.

I do believe it is stated in the Dutch manual though (as is the way to get into the radio controls) so I'll check it out when I get in the car this evening.

Hans

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

According to the manual, SRC "adjusts" the high tones when there is bad reception.

There is no elaboration on what that means exactly (more or less high tones), but anyway, you now know what the setting is for.

Hans

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I too can find little if any difference when ASC is set to high, med, or low. There is another setting for ASC off/on, but I have that on. I guess the entire system is designed so you don't even know it's working; then if it malfunctions you have nothing to complain about :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: (Potter17)

Hi,
Know how to do this on a Volvo S40 2004?
I would like to trun ASC off. In the new Volvos its very annoying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts