SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Volvo execs finally learn what is required to be successful in the US market - NASCAR!
LOL...there's no entry level medium size Volvo to compete against Fusions and Camry's in the Sprint Cup, but then the promotions investment would make more sense than Aussie V8 Supercars... I think (re-)entry into one of the US production car based touring car series, like the Pirelli or Tudor series, would be a wise step. What ever happened to the proposed NASCAR promoted German Touring Car series idea floated a few years back? That would be interesting.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
LOL...there's no entry level medium size Volvo to compete against Fusions and Camry's in the Sprint Cup, but then the promotions investment would make more sense than Aussie V8 Supercars... I think (re-)entry into one of the US production car based touring car series, like the Pirelli or Tudor series, would be a wise step. What ever happened to the proposed NASCAR promoted German Touring Car series idea floated a few years back? That would be interesting.
No NASCAR S90?

·
Registered
538 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
A brief history of NASCAR. In the American Revolution, George Washington's strongest support came from the New Englanders and from the Scots-Irish (Ulster-Scots for John T Shea). G. Wash was asked, what would you do if you were decisive defeated by the British? He said, I would take my army into the mountains with the Scots-Irish. However, after the war, steep taxes were laid on whiskey, which the Scots-Irish were unable to pay. This led to a rebellion, which was put down by the G Wash administration. Unjust IMO. Since that time, the whiskey makers and the federal government revenuers have been at odds. This led to the the Scots-Irish whiskey-makers making faster and faster cars that could outrun the federal revenuers cars. NASCAR came from this tradition.

And just one more reference---Scots-Irish equals *******/Cracker/Hoosier in the US.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
More simply, PROTESTANTS to John T. Shea. And they can claim about half the US presidents. We southern Catholics only got one and a half. JFK, and Ronald Reagan, who was born and baptized a Catholic but raised by his Protestant mother in her faith.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
More simply, PROTESTANTS to John T. Shea. And they can claim about half the US presidents. We southern Catholics only got one and a half. JFK, and Ronald Reagan, who was born and baptized a Catholic but raised by his Protestant mother in her faith.
And Kennedy is a lowland Scottish name, even though JFK was a Catholic. And Reagan is a native Irish name, but his mother was Scottish-English, and he was raised, as you pointed out, protestant. And yes, most US Presidents can claim some Scots-Irish ancestry, and many can claim mostly Scots-Irish Ancestry.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
No NASCAR S90?
LOL... maybe a Geely Emgrand? :eek: The necks would just love a Commie Chinese sedan invading NASCAR.

This isn't and Emgrand but the best I could find:

I don't believe the S90 quite fits in with US and Asian high volume entry level mid-size sedans? But then you can paint anything on a universal sheet metal shell attached to a universal tube frame chassis so... For example, when's the last time a production Toyota Camry was rear drive with a small block pushrod V8 engine? NASCAR makes me cringe, and yes I've been to a few races. Actually fell asleep in the stands mid-way through the Dover 400 years back, and that's one of the more exiting oval races. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts