SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started cleaning the interior of my S70 and while the Armor All made everything look great (esp. the gray dash areas) the glare on the dash is unbearable. I have reduced it by wiping it down with clean towels but that seems to defeat the purpose of using it for UV protection.<P>Is there a UV block product that can protect the dash top while being low reflection/low glare?

·
Registered
408 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big E:<BR><B>Is there a UV block product that can protect the dash top while being low reflection/low glare?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Armor All makes a low gloss version. Haven't tried it but I know they make it.<P><P>

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes, use the low gloss product, and never use the high gloss one again. Armorall is bad, it can cause interior parts to brown, can actually dry them out, etc. The low gloss one is the only armorall product I use, and it is a great product. I dont know what it is, but the low gloss formula is actually really good, where as there other stuff is really bad. There are other brands of products that make good products, they protect and dont over shine. Zymol has one, I like it, but its natural formula requires weekly reapplication. Lexol makes a good vynl cleaner and protectant, great for dashes. Meguires #40 vinyl protectant is also excellent and very recomended. Zymol Vinyl is one of the best products made, It is def. more expensive to use than others, but its all natural. I prefer the use of natural ingrediants, and the Zymol leaves a great finish and smell. I feel its important that oil feeding products are used on dashes, keeping them well moisturized is what stops cracking, not UV block.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big E:<BR><B>I started cleaning the interior of my S70 and while the Armor All made everything look great (esp. the gray dash areas) the glare on the dash is unbearable. I have reduced it by wiping it down with clean towels but that seems to defeat the purpose of using it for UV protection.<P>Is there a UV block product that can protect the dash top while being low reflection/low glare?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>DO not use ARMOR all on dashboards EVER!! the silicone will dry up and cause your dash to either whiten or crack faster. i would recommend vynylex. it seems to protect pretty good while not being too high on gloss. <BR>

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Wow, I wonder why they still make that stuff. I used to use Armor AL, glad I switched, didn't know it was bad though!

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GShyneDM:<BR><B> <BR>DO not use ARMOR all on dashboards EVER!! the silicone will dry up and cause your dash to either whiten or crack faster. i would recommend vynylex. it seems to protect pretty good while not being too high on gloss. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>A damp cloth is the way to go.<BR>

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GShyneDM:<BR><B> <BR>DO not use ARMOR all on dashboards EVER!! the silicone will dry up and cause your dash to either whiten or crack faster. i would recommend vynylex. it seems to protect pretty good while not being too high on gloss. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think that was true of the older formulations, but the newer Armor-All products are water based, so they should be safe as far as I have heard.<P>But personally, I just use a damp cloth like mike_C70, but like you said, I think Vynlex is the best for that sort of thing.<P>-Drew<P><p>[This message has been edited by InDy (edited 06-29-2002).]

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
I don't know about current formulations, and I can't verify this is true, but when I was in highschool (1989/1990), a friend of mine who was a detailer told me that it had alcohol in it and it would dry out the dash and crack it.<P>Granted, I was driving an '82 Scirocco with plenty of cracks already. Back then, UV inhibitors weren't so great on car dashes from the factory either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts