SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Are you disappointed that the new XC90 has no split tailgate?

• Yes

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • No

Votes: 48 50.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 15 15.6%
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I personally don't like polls like this that leave a way out via "no opinion". I have not voted because while I'm disappointed that it no longer has a split tailgate, it's more than made up for because now it's power. Of course, is the power tailgate going to be standard? If not, then that sucks. I'd rather have a standard manual split tailgate than a manual single tailgate.

If it was me, I'd of set the poll up to force people to pick what they want, and no way out via no opinion.

What's more important, the power option, or the split option?

Personally, I prefer power over non-power and then I prefer split over non-split. So my choices in order of preference would be

1) Power Split
2) Power Single
3) Manual Split
4) Manual Single
I created the poll to be as simple as possible. Either you have an opinion (yes/no) or not about the split tailgate. I hope you do vote as my purpose was to gauge the interest in the split tailgate.

I am also a huge fan of the split, I think it's pure practical genius in engineering. I do concede that it makes it a tad more difficult to reach deep into the trunk area, but it is a minor negative compared to all the positives, already mentioned in the above posts. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that together with the grocery holder, I can sandwich my grocery bags etc between the lower portion of the tailgate and the grocery holder preventing stuff from rolling around in the trunk. Just love it!

Because I find the split tailgate so enormously practical, I have a hard time understanding why Volvo got rid of it in the new XC90. Maybe they did extensive market research, or maybe not. Maybe it was cost driven. I wished they would have asked current XC90 owners about their opinion. Thanks for voting!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I'm sure this is from a cost stand point.....either Volvo was going to offer a split tail gate or a power one.....at this price point you were not going to get both features together. I'm sure Volvo did a little research and having a power gate that opens by waving your foot had a much larger appeal, so they went with that option. Yes, Volvo could have engineered both...like a Range Rover. However if you don't want your Volvo to cost $100,000 like a Range Rover, expensive engineering projects like this aren't going to happen. As far as reduced clearance, the power gate can be programed to stop at a height you choose, basically achieving about the same thing. No other competitor for the XC90 has a split power
tail gate either....because of the price to design/manufacture I am sure.
BMW has upper half powered;).............

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I created the poll to be as simple as possible. Either you have an opinion (yes/no) or not about the split tailgate. I hope you do vote as my purpose was to gauge the interest in the split tailgate.

I am also a huge fan of the split, I think it's pure practical genius in engineering. I do concede that it makes it a tad more difficult to reach deep into the trunk area, but it is a minor negative compared to all the positives, already mentioned in the above posts. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that together with the grocery holder, I can sandwich my grocery bags etc between the lower portion of the tailgate and the grocery holder preventing stuff from rolling around in the trunk. Just love it!

Because I find the split tailgate so enormously practical, I have a hard time understanding why Volvo got rid of it in the new XC90. Maybe they did extensive market research, or maybe not. Maybe it was cost driven. I wished they would have asked current XC90 owners about their opinion. Thanks for voting!
Technically, even a single tailgate with the grocery holder solves that issue of stuff not rolling around since everything is still sandwiched between the grocery holder and the single tailgate. The advantage of the split tailgate is that nothing falls out when you open it.

IMO, the better question is what do people value more? Split or Power? Of course, naturally, many would be greedy and ask for both, but that's more complexity and cost.

No opinion makes no sense to me. Are these people with no opinion going to show up at the dealer, and when the sales person asks them what type of tailgate do they want, are they going to say ...... None? Are they choosing no opinion because "disappointed" is the wrong word? If there was another option, "I don't know", how many no opinions would switch to "I don't know". Personally, I think it would be interesting to know if given any choice, how would they answer that salesperson?

I'm curious if the power single tailgate is standard or optional. If it's standard, then great. If it's not, and standard is a manual, then I'd think it would have been better for Volvo to offer standard the original manual split tailgate, and then the optional powered single tailgate in it's own package (NOT bundled with a powered 3rd row).

And there's yet another option like BMW with the half powered split tailgate. I'm curious if one was to browse the bmw boards, what type of customer comments are there about that design.

Personally I think the decision by Volvo was a mix of NEEDING to offer a power option to stay competitive, and then choosing the cheapest way to solve that, and then coming up with bull$hit reasons for why they choose that option.

I think the question for Volvo is why did they choose to go single powered instead of half powered split like BMW? Was it because they didn't want to be seen as copycats (despite almost everything else being copycat) or was the cost difference still to much extra for even a half powered split?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Here we go again, over analysis of Volvo and every feature in their cars as a whole..... To those who say "I wish Volvo would have asked us!", while they may not have asked YOU personally, the poll speaks for itself. It would appear that those disappointed by lack of split tailgate are in the minority, and it's more likely than not that when conducting market research the results were more or less the same.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here we go again, over analysis of Volvo and every feature in their cars as a whole..... To those who say "I wish Volvo would have asked us!", while they may not have asked YOU personally, the poll speaks for itself. It would appear that those disappointed by lack of split tailgate are in the minority, and it's more likely than not that when conducting market research the results were more or less the same.
To be fair, the poll asked whether the members were "disappointed" with the lack of split tailgate - not which they would prefer. One could be not disappointed with the one-piece tailgate but still prefer the split tailgate. If the poll asked which the forum members preferred, the results could have been different.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
To those who say "I wish Volvo would have asked us!", while they may not have asked YOU personally, the poll speaks for itself. It would appear that those disappointed by lack of split tailgate are in the minority, and it's more likely than not that when conducting market research the results were more or less the same.
As I type this, the yes and no votes are dead even 15 each...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
For those of you who've never had a split tailgate in your vehicle and wonder what all the fuss is about, let me share a real-life use of the split tailgate. I just got back from our hunting property, where me and my buddy put up a 10' x 20' carport-type of shelter for our tents, stuff etc. The shelter is about 9 feet tall at its highest point and we needed to reach that high to put the top pieces together and pull the tarp over it. We forgot the ladders, so I drove the XC90 inside the shelter, opened the lower portion of the tailgate, closed the upper portion, climbed on the lower portion and voila, I was able to reach high enough for us to get the task done. Yes, I could have climbed on the hood (horrors!) or on top of the roof, but the lower tailgate portion provided a perfect platform for the task. I would not have been able to do this with a single piece tailgate.

Also, I used the lower portion today as a seat for changing to and from my work boots and during a coffee break (the trunk was pretty full of all kind of stuff).

These are some of the reasons I am a fan of the split tailgate. Every time I use it I thank the (Swedish?) engineer who designed the tailgate. I am sad to see it disappear on the new XC90. I might be in minority on this, who knows, but I do know that split tailgate is a very practical feature for me, the way I use my vehicle.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Interesting, at this point there are 19 yes, 17 no and 11 no opinion votes. So for those having an opinion, the yes votes lead by a slim margin. Appears I wasn't the only one appreciating the current split tailgate design. Doubt Volvo will bring it back with a redesign, but one can of course always hope....

Thanks to you all that have voted!

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Add me into the glad it's not there on the redesign group.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We eliminated the first gen XC90 10 years ago when we first drove it and the split tailgate was a big reason why. At the time we were having our first kid, and the thought of having to reach further into the back for luggage, stroller, etc was a turnoff for my wife. We opted for the MDX instead and really enjoyed it. Haven't had a vehicle with a split tailgate, but I don't really put that on my list of things to look for. Have had multiple hatch vehicles -wagons, minivan, MDX, and am comfortable with the regular hatch. My parents have a Lexus SUV with the side opening door, and those things are completely useless. I don't see any advantage to them either. We're hoping to get a T8 if they don't wait too long for the pricing.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
We eliminated the first gen XC90 10 years ago when we first drove it and the split tailgate was a big reason why. At the time we were having our first kid, and the thought of having to reach further into the back for luggage, stroller, etc was a turnoff for my wife.
This continues to puzzle me, since you don't have to lower the bottom part of the tail gate, at all, to remove items in the back...See you can open the TOP half, and then reach OVER that lower half and right into the back of the SUV.....(I can see how this would be problematic for a short person, however.)

There are about a million benefits to the split tailgate. And there are NO downsides, except for people who are challenged in the height department.

We still have our XC90 with the "useless" split tailgate. Just had a nice picnic by pulling to the side of a lovely highway, opened both the top and bottom of the gate, and sat on the bottom gate and enjoyed my sandwich. Can't do that with a "normal" SUV.

And you can even have such a picnic when it's raining!!

Note re side-opening tailgates- such gates are the ONLY tailgates that work for really short people. I have friends who can not reach a normal tailgate when it's in the open position. So there is a pretty big advantage to side tailgates for SOME people. (I hate them, as well, but I am tall so...)

(Of course, power tailgates are perfect for shorter folks.)

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
I am guessing Volvo did this for two reasons: 1) cost, 2) market research which is catering to a population of smaller people

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Did you not realize that you don't have to lower the bottom part of the tail gate??? See you can open the TOP half, and then reach OVER that lower half and right into the back of the SUV.....(I can see how this would be problematic for a short person, however.)

But if someone is too short for this, then maybe they shouldn't be driving an SUV. If you can't reach over the closed lower tailgate, then you likely can't see over the steering wheel. Get yourself a Civic.

I always laugh at the people who complain that it makes it too hard to reach into the back of vehicle, since it puts you too far away. Some people are apparently not that bright....(or are short, like most women, which is fine, of course, and understandable why they might not like the split gate)

There are about a million benefits to the split tailgate. And there are NO downsides, except for people who are challenged in the logic (or height) department.

We still have our XC90 with the "useless" split tailgate. Just had a nice picnic by pulling to the side of a lovely highway, opened both the top and bottom of the gate, and sat on the bottom gate and enjoyed my sandwich. Can't do that with a "normal" SUV.

And you can even have such a picnic when it's raining!!

And not to make too fine a point about kf93's weak sauce, side opening tailgates are the ONLY tailgates that work for really short people. I have friends who can not reach a normal tailgate when it's in the open position. So there is a pretty big advantage to side tailgates for SOME people. (I hate them, as well, but I am tall so...)

(Of course, power tailgates are perfect for shorter folks.)

so kf93 is wrong about side tailgates and wrong about split tailgates.

And yet his/her vote counts the same as the vote of someone who has some idea of how the world works.

Friggin democracy is a waste of time.
I don't understand why you say you couldn't use the trunk as a bench. I did that all the time in my old V70 I had and it works fine. You just sit on the bumper, easy as pie.

I also do not understand why YOU don't understand that getting a heavy bag or something out of the back is harder with a split trail gate. If it's up then it creates a lip that you would have to lift whatever you're getting out over. If it's down, you have to arch your back more to compensate for being further away due to the bottom portion. How does that not make sense in your mind?

You claim that someone is "wrong" for their opinion on the usefulness of a split tailgate, and rant on about how they don't know how the world works. The irony....

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
I don't understand why you say you couldn't use the trunk as a bench. I did that all the time in my old V70 I had and it works fine. You just sit on the bumper, easy as pie.

I also do not understand why YOU don't understand that getting a heavy bag or something out of the back is harder with a split trail gate. If it's up then it creates a lip that you would have to lift whatever you're getting out over. If it's down, you have to arch your back more to compensate for being further away due to the bottom portion. How does that not make sense in your mind?

You claim that someone is "wrong" for their opinion on the usefulness of a split tailgate, and rant on about how they don't know how the world works. The irony....
they are wrong because they are wrong, just as you are wrong
:)

(guys, we are only talking about liftgates, not anything that actually matters, so let's keep it fun)

it's not that complicated

who the hell lifts a piece of luggage OVER the closed bottom portion of the gate? With the gate closed, you reach in and pull the luggage toward you. Then, a NORMAL person opens the bottom gatge and slides the luggage out toward the rear of the car....Are you keeping up?

You can not sit on a bumper as easily as you can on the lowered liftgate. Unless you have a bum the size of a peanut.

If you DO have a bum the size of a peanut, then I am truly sorry for offending you.

You can LEAN on a bumper, but you can't SIT on a bumper. I am guessing you don't have an XC90, right? So, you really have no idea what you are talking about, right?

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
ps I had edited my liftgate comments to KF93 because they were too hyperbolic and the comedic intent did not come through.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.