SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Volvo regard foglights as a necessity or cosmetic? That's because if they are not cosmetic but important, how come they didn't work out a plan for T8 owners to also have some fogs, even if it meant using the silver bumper strip to put bright LEDs there?

I know Volvo lights are great, but the other day, it was so densely foggy, I couldn't literally see beyond the bonnet and the reflection of the headlights made things worse.

I wondered what it would have been like having only Thor's hammer and fogs providing lightning. I was even scared to park on the side of the road till visibility was improved, but was worried that emergency lane drivers would have bashed my car from behind.

Can Volvo not do something for us T8 owners (like an aftermarket accessory or something) if the nonT8 fogs aren't cosmetic but truly effective?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
My fogs put out quite a bit of short range light....not just cosmetic :)

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
The front corner on T8 is used by cooling fan. T8 will need a different mounting position to add front fog light. Maybe somewhere on center bumper cover and pointing outwards. Not very good looking.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My fogs put out quite a bit of short range light....not just cosmetic :)

Maybe Heico Sportiv will come up with a plan for us one day, but it's been 3 years now with nothing on the horizon

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The T8 will need a different mounting position to add front fog light. Maybe somewhere on center bumper cover and pointing outwards. Not very good looking.

The silver strips on the left of each side of the front bumper can be converted into foglight strips and it can work and look nice, don't you think?

Edit: see attached picture. Those silver/chrome strips on either side of the bumper can they not be replaced with thin, bright LEDs?

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
The silver strips on the left of each side of the front bumper can be converted into foglight strips and it can work and look nice, don't you think?

Edit: see attached picture. Those silver/chrome strips on either side of the bumper can they not be replaced with thin, bright LEDs?

Of course possible. They are too busy to implement it. Third party kit could be a easier approach.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I had an XC90 in Italy, a D5 - the fog lights were very useful. I lived around Venice and it makes London fog look like child's play. I would have really missed them on my T8 - in Italy, that is. I bought a T8 in Buffalo, NY and did not mind the lack of fog lights, because we have no fog (now that I think of it, I lived in Oklahoma, NY, FL, Indiana, Texas, NJ - none had any fog...). Anyhow, yes, it would suck, to have a T8 in a place with serious fog. Kind of weird, for a company with a reputation for safety, but, hey, they have pissed on that, as far as I am concerned, with PA.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Does Volvo regard foglights as a necessity or cosmetic? That's because if they are not cosmetic but important, how come they didn't work out a plan for T8 owners to also have some fogs, even if it meant using the silver bumper strip to put bright LEDs there?

I know Volvo lights are great, but the other day, it was so densely foggy, I couldn't literally see beyond the bonnet and the reflection of the headlights made things worse.

I wondered what it would have been like having only Thor's hammer and fogs providing lightning.
I'm not sure what your local lighting laws require; in the US, fog lights won't light up unless low beams are on. I believe the rationale is to mitigate the use error hazard of not turning the low beams on at night when the foglights are on. Since foglights create more foreground lighting than (proper) low beams, it may create the incorrect reinforcement to the driver that the foglight is the better choice (or in fact, that the low beams are on). However, I agree with you that during thick fog, the low beams just make the fog in front of the vehicle glow back at you, and adding foglights won't do much to counter this glowing fog.

For those of us that need foglights in certain situations but are aware that low beams are necessary in other circumstances, I'm afraid it has to be an aftermarket solution.

The OE "foglights" are also wired as cornering lights, with the proper side turning on whenever the steering wheel turns into that direction (under certain speed range). In that sense, they are not just cosmetic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts