SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As our regular readers know, I've been pondering the sale of our '10 T6 in anticipation of replacing it with a '12 under the Summer Savings Event. I've talked myself down from the R-design, intending to save money and take a more practical approach to this vehicle.(We have the C70 for a fun-mobile). While looking and trying to make a lease deal on a 3.2 w/Platinum, I've been smacked in the head with what 10PassionRed was pointing out in another thread...Volvos lose a TON of value in the first 2-3-4 years:( . Having had so many during the past decade, this comes as no surprise...one pays a LOT to drive a new Volvo every 2-3-4 years, especially in the three-year range.

In looking at the completely redesigned Acura RDX, I'm finding I can get into the Technology package(plenty of bells and whistles) on the 2013 and drive it for three years for thousands less than the 3.2 Platinum 2012 Volvo...and get more HP...and get better mileage. DANG!

On a ZERO down lease, Acura makes just the first payment(vs Summer Sales 3) and they don't cover all maintenance costs; but, the payment is less than our dealer's SECOND offer that supposedly rolled my loyalty bonus, rebate AND an extra $1000 from the '10 on trade into the 'down payment'. With all said and done, it would cost me over $5000 more to START the Volvo lease AND pay a few bucks more a month for the term. Back out the $1300 difference that US Bank would have paid vs the $500 from Acura and I'm still a few thousand ahead on a BRAND NEW 2013 RDX.:eek: The savings on petrol would cover the factory maintenance savings with S&S(should be a solid 20% better with the RDX...and more HP to boot!)

The key is in the residual value, of course...and the aggressive approach taken by Acura to lease these vehicles. It adds up to thousands over the three year lease I'm considering.

DANG!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
This is why I don't lease vehicles. You're still pissing thousands away into the wind. I mean if you want to save money you could buy a CRV and put the Odyssey V6 and have the same car as an RDX... Since they just dumped the turbo motor. Oh and the SH-AWD. Oh and the car hasn't been face lifted in 7 years. Its been completely de-contented for 2013. I just don't see the value. No wonder they're trying to give them away.

·
Registered
558 Posts
As our regular readers know, I've been pondering the sale of our '10 T6 in anticipation of replacing it with a '12 under the Summer Savings Event. I've talked myself down from the R-design, intending to save money and take a more practical approach to this vehicle.(We have the C70 for a fun-mobile). While looking and trying to make a lease deal on a 3.2 w/Platinum, I've been smacked in the head with what 10PassionRed was pointing out in another thread...Volvos lose a TON of value in the first 2-3-4 years:( . Having had so many during the past decade, this comes as no surprise...one pays a LOT to drive a new Volvo every 2-3-4 years, especially in the three-year range.

In looking at the completely redesigned Acura RDX, I'm finding I can get into the Technology package(plenty of bells and whistles) on the 2013 and drive it for three years for thousands less than the 3.2 Platinum 2012 Volvo...and get more HP...and get better mileage. DANG!

On a ZERO down lease, Acura makes just the first payment(vs Summer Sales 3) and they don't cover all maintenance costs; but, the payment is less than our dealer's SECOND offer that supposedly rolled my loyalty bonus, rebate AND an extra $1000 from the '10 on trade into the 'down payment'. With all said and done, it would cost me over $5000 more to START the Volvo lease AND pay a few bucks more a month for the term. Back out the $1300 difference that US Bank would have paid vs the $500 from Acura and I'm still a few thousand ahead on a BRAND NEW 2013 RDX.:eek: The savings on petrol would cover the factory maintenance savings with S&S(should be a solid 20% better with the RDX...and more HP to boot!)

The key is in the residual value, of course...and the aggressive approach taken by Acura to lease these vehicles. It adds up to thousands over the three year lease I'm considering.

DANG!!!
Not an apples to apples comparison here. If you are driven by the payment, Volvo can't compete here. Also would be concerned with the crash ratings Acura just received. Hard to compete on a lease with their own finance company. They set their residuals artificially high.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is why I don't lease vehicles. You're still pissing thousands away into the wind. I mean if you want to save money you could buy a CRV and put the Odyssey V6 and have the same car as an RDX... Since they just dumped the turbo motor. Oh and the SH-AWD. Oh and the car hasn't been face lifted in 7 years. Its been completely de-contented for 2013. I just don't see the value. No wonder they're trying to give them away.
Apparently, the large local dealer(also in Dallas) is doing a really GOOD job of 'giving them away'. Seven of the 10 RDXs coming later this week are sold.

Having the T6 for over three years, I don't mind dropping to 'only' 273 hp since we don't tow or climb. Don't mind the projected 20% increase in mileage, either.

I'll admit a comparison to the T6 AWD or R-design isn't fair; BUT, I'm comparing the 3.2 Platinum with the one-year-newer RDX w/Technology pkg. I think in FWD mode, the comparisons match up a bit better.

And of course we're just tossing thousands to the wind with a lease...not all that different from the $24 grand in lost 'value' of our '10 T6 over a three year period.

The new RDX might be a close cousin to the Lexus RX(a 6-8 grand cheaper cousin at that). We're not going to push this thing to its limits, but having a slightly tall, decently powered, well appointed 'wagon' is just what we were looking for in the Volvo 3.2; but, unless you're going to drive the wheels off over a decade or more, I don't see where the Acura LACKS value compared to the Volvo.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not an apples to apples comparison here. If you are driven by the payment, Volvo can't compete here. Also would be concerned with the crash ratings Acura just received. Hard to compete on a lease with their own finance company. They set their residuals artificially high.
My only concern with artificially high residuals would be IF I decided to buy this vehicle at lease end. Otherwise, the OVER 50% retained value of the Acura vs the UNDER 50% Volvo value after three years works IN my favor. On vehicles in the 40 thousand dollar range, we're looking at a few thousand difference after three years.

I found nothing but GOOD ratings from the IIHS crash tests on the 2013 RDX. I'd be interested in any results that were found to be lower.

Check my sig...I've been a Volvo driver for many years. Without actually crashing a vehicle, it's harder to justify the premium cost.(Knock on wood)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the first gen RDX and I kept it less than a year. Acuras are like refrigerators to me - very appliance like. Too milquetoast for me. I like a little more involvement.

I heard they decontented the SH-AWD and you can get it in FWD or AWD. The SH-AWD is kind of a joke anyways - it only works when applying power.

It will be a good, reliable and boring car.

·
Registered
442 Posts
As regular readers also know, I traded in my '06 Acura TL for my '12 Volvo XC60 T6 non-R because I was looking for a smaller SUV that would still fit my 6'3" 250+ body. I loved my Acura and I evaluated the '11/'12 incarnation of the RDX last year and the T4 and other content just weren't working for me enough, and that's when I broadened my search and discovered the Volvo and especially the T6.

Here it is a year later and also a couple of long road trips later in addition to local driving, and I can report that I still really enjoy my XC60 and will not be trading/selling it anytime soon, but if I were shopping today instead of last year, the revamped Acura RDX would be a strong contender. All of Coachrick's points on the financials would be applicable, and the RDX's content changes now DO work for me. True, it's still not as good looking as the XC60 and it has 27 fewer HP than my T6 non-R, but from a feature/function standpoint ACURAS JUST WORK. The Sensus 3.0 upgrade HAS addressed many of my primary complaints (and BUGS) about Volvo's Infotainment system, but it's still quirky, bluetooth in particular is still subpar, and no one EVER (and I do mean EVER) has a complaint about any Acura Infotainment/electronic integration. They've always been a leader on that front. THEY JUST WORK.

I know this is a Volvo board, and again, I do still like my XC60 and will be keeping it, but I don't love it (I'm a computer software geek for a living, an avid road-tripper, and music/infotainment while driving is a BIG DEAL to me), and being an "Acura guy" I wish they'd revamped the RDX a year earlier because I likely would have bought one instead of the XC60.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
drat, thanks for the perspective of a former Acura owner. The new RDX is so different from the original, I had not considered the 1st gen RDX at all...BUT, the new one will be a serious competitor to the FWD XC60, I believe. I haven't tested the AWD RDX, so I can't speak to that from a performance standpoint. Also, I like(d) the T6 engine so much that I don't really compare it to the RDX 6cyl, but the RDX engine certainly clobbers the 3.2 on paper(15% more horsepower AND 20% better mileage on regular octane). The 6-speed tranny feels a bit smoother than the T6, but that observation is just from a test drive.

Might as well let the cat out of the bag...late yesterday, I signed up for the RDX FWD with Technology package. They bought the XC from me for cash and I went for the nothing down lease on the RDX for three years. I'm saying "Good-bye" to the Electric Silver 'bullet' and will be driving a loaner for a few days in anticipation of the arrival of my new RDX 'maybe' by Friday, but likely early next week. It will be only the second non-Volvo in our garage since 2001(had the RX330 back in '06-'07).

It's gonna be strange for a while, but I can always take the C70 for a spin when I need my Volvo 'fix'.

You guys enjoy your XCs...great vehicles! Maybe I'll be bored; but I reckon I have a few extra bucks because of the switch. Perhaps I should Polestar the C70 to assuage any guilt I'll be feeling! :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
For some reason Volvo doesn't seem to view the Japanese upscale offerings as their target competition to the XC60...only the Euro brands. And they may well be correct for many of their target market(s). BUT, there are folks like us who DO also compare the Japanese upscale brands to the Volvo side-by-side.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
IF it is for her, give her what SHE wants, or, god forbid, buy a CPO and save a couple grand, get the warranty, and put the rest in a savings account for childrens college or something :).

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For some reason Volvo doesn't seem to view the Japanese upscale offerings as their target competition to the XC60...only the Euro brands. And they may well be correct for many of their target market(s). BUT, there are folks like us who DO also compare the Japanese upscale brands to the Volvo side-by-side.
Yep, I think Volvo would love to have a slice of the market share enjoyed by the RX series for the past decade or so. ;) The XC60 cut into the Lexus a bit, but I think the RDX will be a more serious competitor now. DW will miss BLIS(I won't, so much) and I can't believe there's no 12v plug in the cargo area, but I think the few hundred I'll save by not paying for the 60K service on the XC will cover a longer cord for the bicycle air compressor. Kinda wish I hadn't just put the new GoodYears on the XC a few thousand miles ago, but they were nice while we had them.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yep, I think Volvo would love to have a slice of the market share enjoyed by the RX series for the past decade or so. ;) The XC60 cut into the Lexus a bit, but I think the RDX will be a more serious competitor now. DW will miss BLIS(I won't, so much) and I can't believe there's no 12v plug in the cargo area, but I think the few hundred I'll save by not paying for the 60K service on the XC will cover a longer cord for the bicycle air compressor. Kinda wish I hadn't just put the new GoodYears on the XC a few thousand miles ago, but they were nice while we had them.
Check your PMs.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IF it is for her, give her what SHE wants, or, god forbid, buy a CPO and save a couple grand, get the warranty, and put the rest in a savings account for childrens college or something :).
Oh, she's gonna love it! Just the media goodies will have her attention for some time! I might get to drive the C70 a bit more often!

BTW, the only 'child' we have is our Scottie. She couldn't be any more spoiled and had NO interest in college!

We don't have an excuse to go to Sweden next year, as we thought we might(to replace the XC); but perhaps a couple more years down the road, the C70 will need replacing ;). Could be a refreshed XC by then OR the potential replacement for the discontinued C70. I think a convertible C30/40 would be ideal!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride Coach. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on it after you've had it a while. I think you will miss the torque of the turbo t6, but it will become a distant memory in short order. I'm starting to forget exactly what our two BMWs drove like with our two recent vehicle purchases (have to go back and read my own posts!). drat is right that Volvo doesn't compare themselves to the luxury Japanese brands, but that's ironic because that is really where they compete. I consider Acura and Volvo to both be in that "near luxury" segment versus the actual luxury segment occupied by BMW, Mercedes, Audi and perhaps Lexus. Infiniti splits the difference (IMO). For our next ride we could do another Volvo - the next generation XC60 will have some tough competition. In all honesty, in our shopping there was no definitive clear leader in these CUVs...it was more like "which one is the clear leader for YOU" - and then that came down to what your priorities were.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks cab, still thinking the RDX might arrive tomorrow. Driving a TL right now...pretty zippy, but STIFF.

Looks like we can get back into 'Volvo' mode later today or tomorrow. The C70 bumper cover arrived this morning(after three full weeks) and we may get a call in the next hour or so to pick 'er up! 'Course, they're predicting rain for the weekend:eek: ; but we'll take any wet weather we can get about now. Plenty of top-down days to come!:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts