SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for instalation instructions or a picture of properly installled strut bar mounts on a 2004 S60 2.5T AWD.

Here is what is currently on my car and want to be sure they are not upside down.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Yours are definitely upside down. OP
Here's a picture of mine shown under the VST bar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. That would answer the rattling issues I have been having. Maybe I will send the new ones back after I flip the old ones.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Maybe they have a purpose in doing this

No, this happens when people take it off and put it on upside. end story.

:)

Anybody who reads this should really look into the strut bar conversion kits from quick brick motorsports, IPD, viva, etc.... very simple but effective mod.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Or the Bob Villa mod. Price went up to about $6, but same effect as the solid mounts sold aftermarket.

·
Registered
638 Posts
@Andrew Loy
I did it incorrectly the first time but it does make a difference if done correctly. You have to take the two bolts out of the strut bar mounts. You then insert a washer so the order from the bottom to the top is nut, washer, bottom of the mount, top of the mount, 1-2 more washers, strut bar, then top of the bolt. This mod prevents the strut bar from moving the same as an aftermarket strut bar mount would. Just make sure to not forget the one on the bottom. That's where I messed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=65965

Good write up with pictures that will give you the idea. Written for S80 but works for an S60.
I don't get why people would do that mod

The mount is the way it is for a reason, to dampen engine vibration. Turning it into a pseudo strut brace means only the middle bushings are functioning.

You're also stressing the unibody in a way it wasn't meant to be stressed. Those are *engine mounts* not strut brace mountings. And non-weight bearing engine mounts at that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't get why people would do that mod
I can only speak for myself, but I had a horrible clunking noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and sometimes when accelerating. For about $5 this mod stopped it completely and the car shifts and drives smoothly. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts