SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed the driver door on my coupe screeches a little when its opened, like its dragging a bit. I also noticed there is a little more effort needed to close it all the way. Are they known to sag? If so is there a fix?

Gary

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I'm pretty sure nobody ever lubes the hinges. The body hinge half is welded on, so the only way to adjust it is to shim the door or replace the hinge. there is no other adjustment that I can see. The good news is that it's super easy to replace the hinge.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I just need to lube it. Best option for me as I have no welder and no welding skills. ;)

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
No, the part welded to the car can't wear out. The hinge pin drops into it and is screwed down tight with that little torx set screw you can see in the bottom half. So if the hinge wears out you just swap it.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Just FYI I shimmed the lower hinge on my passenger door today, someone had been in there before and I think they messed it up. Might even have been bodyworked or replaced, although I can't see any evidence of bodywork. Closes dead straight now, I used the alignment shims I bought for my 122 front suspension, just U shaped pieces of steel.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any chance you can show me what you used and where you put it? I am having a hard time visualizing this.

Gary

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Sure. Here's the shims I have, I actually bought them for aligning my 122, but it was a box of 50 so I have plenty left over.

So if the door is sagging, you loosen the bottom hinge and put the shims between it and the door. There are shims on both bolts, but the bottom ones are just lined up really well.

It's just trial and error until you get it right. I've been doing stuff like this a long time so I get lucky a lot, this only took me 2 tries to get it perfect. Also once you get the height right you have to make sure the depth is right so it lines up with the fender and lower door sill, so you might have to loosen it and push it in or out. It's fairly tedious, it'll be easier with 2 guys if you have someone to help you out.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perfect. Thank you sir.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Also you can see in my pic how to replace the whole hinge - just take the two bolts out of the door, and loosen that torx set screw in the bottom hinge half (a small regular 6 point socket worked just fine on mine) and it just slides right out. All the hinge wear and grind action is in the top half.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, so I finally took a hard look at it yesterday and it is actualy the top rear corner of the driver window scraping on the rear quarter window. Obviously the window alignment is off as well as the door. Which adjustment bolt do I need to use to pull the driver window rear top forward?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Got the door shimmed and that part is good but the window is still contacting the rear quarter window when the door is shut. Looks like when the stealership replaced the regulator in 2002 they didnt line the window up properly in the regulator. Unfortunately that procedure is beyond my known capabilities. I guess I will just deal with it until I find someone craftier than I.

Gary

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good info. Thank you sir.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2004 c70 convertible has a gap at the top of the window where it meets the canvas. If i push downwards on the door as i close it,.it will align properly. Im thinking if i shim the bottom mount in will give me the 1/8" necessary to close properly. Would it be ok to use scrap metal to fashion a shim? Granted i have access to machine shop and will use metal that is sturdy and wont corrode(galvanized)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts