SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed there are two seatbelt lights in the overhead console of my 99. Are these designed to come on when a seatbelt is removed, or just illuminate when the car is started?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
It does both. They are individually linked to the two front seats.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it's just a timed light.
I don't believe that there are any switches
in the seat bottoms or belt latches.

But you shouldn't be looking at
that stuff when you're starting the car...
You should be busy buckling your seatbelts!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Mine just come on when the car turns on for a few seconds, that's it. I've always joked about replacing one with a non-smoking light.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine just come on when the car turns on for a few seconds, that's it. I've always joked about replacing one with a non-smoking light.
Always thought it looked like an airplane console up there! Volvo, born from jets... wait....

Burn-E: So, if you remove a belt while the car is on the corresponding light above turns on?? Mine does not do this.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't think that mine does either. My girlfriend happened to look up there the other day when I was starting the car. She said that she had never seen them before.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty sure that it's just a timed light.
I don't believe that there are any switches
in the seat bottoms or belt latches.

But you shouldn't be looking at
that stuff when you're starting the car...
You should be busy buckling your seatbelts!
Just had a thought. I know my 99 has seatbelt sensors, as I once had an SRS fault code because of one. Since the 98s use passive SIPS bags (as opposed to active in 99+) maybe they lack the seatbelt sensors? I would tend to doubt this though, as the front airbags should only deploy when the seatbelt is latched.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Uh, I would expect bags to fire regardless of if seatbelts are latched or not. I don't know about 98 but I bet they had sensors in the belt latches to know if it should chime the seatbelt warning or not. I don't have a '98 so I don't know but my '88 Subaru Justy and every car since then that I've owned has had belt latched sensors. I can't imagine the '98 did not.

Well what I can say is I have a '99 and it does know if the belt is latched, if I buckle before turning the key I don't get a chime, the overhead lights still light up. If I unbuckle after starting the car, no overhead lights or chime. The overhead lights are simply two dumb lamps on a timer from when the ignitions first turned ON. After that, they always stay off. Unless maybe they flash for some sort of fault that I haven't had the pleasure of seeing. The chime knows if the driver is buckled but only cares according to that initial ignition ON timer, after that, nothing for unbuckling, thank goodness! I despise Fords Chevys and others that chime every so often if not buckled. Not to start that debate because I normally am always buckled but jeez, if I want to sit in a warm car while my kid naps in a store parking lot while the wife is shopping or I'm in and out of my Suburban trying to park a trailer or something, come on, stop bugging me already!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Just had a thought. I know my 99 has seatbelt sensors, as I once had an SRS fault code because of one. Since the 98s use passive SIPS bags (as opposed to active in 99+) maybe they lack the seatbelt sensors? I would tend to doubt this though, as the front airbags should only deploy when the seatbelt is latched.
This is correct ;)

The SIPS bags in 98s (and 850s) operate a bit like a grenade pin. This is why on the older cars there is a plastic tool that you are supposed to install while working around the seat or removing it.

On 99+ cars they will chime if the seat belt is unbuckled and the seat belt lights will flash in the overhead lamp.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Definitely agree PDLarson, I'm forever grateful that these cars don't annoy us like some of the more "pestersome" cars out there.

For what it's worth, I have never not worn my seatbelt while driving, ever. I just made this thread because I'm curious about the function of the lamps.

Big Will: Is the flashing a Euro thing only perhaps?

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Did a little more digging and there are latch switches on all of them.
The '98 is pretty basic, but the '99-'00's appear to have seperate
lamp connections from the seatbelt reminder control module.
My seatbelt is always fastened, so I never really pay attention to mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts