SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

simple question: Are the new/modern China built Volvos as safe as the old school "tank" Volvos? Most of the reports I see here are on the older models. I have a 2019 S90 and was wondering if I can still rely on the "tank" factor on my S90.

thank you in advance for your answers.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Material science, technology, and other factors have probably greatly improved the safety of modern Volvos.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Depending upon where you are you won't necessarily be able to get a Chinese built Volvo. They aren't importing them from China for the US market, for example.

When I was researching the XC60 I ran across some videos of various car-to-car crashes. One of them was an older (90's I think) Volvo -vs- a modern compact car (maybe a Renault). Head on, half overlap crash. The little tiny car took out a large portion of the tank Volvo's passenger compartment, while the little car's doors would still open. Like Tech said, any modern car is safer than those older tank style cars. Tying the energy up in crumple zones, redirecting it, air bags, etc... - no contest. And that doesn't include the active safety features to help avoid using the passive features.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yep more modern = more safe.

Back in the days it was the target to get the car the most stable to prorect the passengers but now they know that it's not everything.
When you have a head on crash, some cars guide the energy into the trunk. why? Because the energy hurts the passengers and there are none in the trunk.

Back in the days they used stiff steel im every corner of the car. Now they use softer and also more stiffer steel around the car in special locations - just where they can work perfectly.

Gesendet von meinem CLT-L29 mit Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts