SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my front struts are getting too the point where I need to replace them to advoid ruining my tires because the bushing in them is worn so it allows them to wobble, anyway is it worth buying 2 new 400$ a piece 4C struts probably costing me over 1000$ with the install costs included or should I just buy the stock s60 struts for $150 a piece?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Also, it's possible to find 4C front struts for less than $400 depending on where you look. RockAuto or Tasca are cheaper usually.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
4c is worth every penny. The car is pointless without 4C. It's around 1200 for a DIY 4C refresh and you only have to do that every 120-150k miles. Cheaper than coilovers and the car continues to have on the fly adaptive suspension. The reason the R is as good as it is stock is because of its ability to corner flat--thanks to 4C. Yes the shocks are expensive when compared to a regular S60/V70. If you compare 4C shock costs to any real sports car, which the R is, they are pretty cheap for what they are.

·
Premium Member
3,743 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa

My wagon corners flat without 4C. But I also didn't just put basic struts in it. 4C is good(when it's working) but you can do better. It just costs a bit to do.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well my two mechanic friends recommended buying new ones but if I can just replace a cheap bushing that would be cool too, Anyone know what it's called?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm just trying to do some simple maintainence here not build a race car

·
Registered
139 Posts
Best price I have seen for the front struts was amazon but it looks like they hiked up the price. Also I cant seem to find the fronts anymore on rock auto either.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I were to just buy a new bushing to see if that fixes the problem what is the bushings name, I can't seem to find that exact part when I search it up

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
A functional 4C system is awesome, most of the bitching about it here on the board comes from those who can't figure out what is wrong with their suspensions or are too cheap to properly repair their cars.

As someone who enjoys doing some competitive driving on one weekend and hauling trailers down rutted and washboard gravel roads on other, its a godsend. Not all of us are navigating our Rs down perfect pavement all the time after all.

If its just about the money, if you look at what a quality coil over system will set you back its not really going to save you any money over just replacing your bad struts.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Here's a diagram of the front suspension. You likely need new spring seats (#6) as those are rubber and start to crack around the perimeter of the inner section after a while. Those blew out on my VR at around 90K miles so as long as it was all apart I replaced the spring seats (#5), strut mounts (#6), and struts themselves.

Here is a great thread on replacing the front struts and associated components:

http://v70r.com/forums/topic/35742-ultimate-diy-guide-to-replacing-4c-front-struts/

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
If having adjustable suspension is justified in your mind, then there's your answer. If having fixed damping and working around the warning light is acceptable to you, then there's your answer.

For me, having adjustable suspension is awesome and when mine die, I plan to replace them to keep the functionality.

·
Registered
899 Posts
DIY. DIY? DIY! Figure out which bushing/bearing you need to replace, and it might not even involve new struts:

Go rent a spring compressor from a local auto parts store, and you can dismantle/reassemble a wheel in like an hour and save yourself a boatload. If your struts are fine (no Chassis Settings Service Required light, and they aren't visibly leaking), you can likely get away with this repair for the cost of new bushings alone.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Here's a diagram of the front suspension. You likely need new spring seats (#6) as those are rubber and start to crack around the perimeter of the inner section after a while. Those blew out on my VR at around 90K miles so as long as it was all apart I replaced the spring seats (#5), strut mounts (#6), and struts themselves.

Here is a great thread on replacing the front struts and associated components:

http://v70r.com/forums/topic/35742-ultimate-diy-guide-to-replacing-4c-front-struts/
LOL. Posted mine without refreshing first.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
With the 4C struts working, and with some delrin subframe bushings and strut mounts that Ben Kaphlan sells the struts work awesome. Make sure everything else is in good shape too.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts