SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting a bearing noise lately.
This has to be it, right?:p:p

https://youtu.be/lM0t6ClNcKs

PO installed a set of chinesium hubs (the ones with green colored studs) about 40-50K km ago (25-30K miles).
Stay away from those!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I’m not sure that sound comes from the bearing. Did you check if there is something rubbing on the rotor?

Does the wheel have excessive play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Um yes, those are shot.

There is no way that wheel should spin that freely with that little effort. Even if that noise is coming from the brake dust shield and the rotor rubbing together.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I agree your wheel is spinning very freely and the bearings very well could be bad. The noise, however, sounds more like the dust shield scraping the rotor. The bearings are not too bad to replace if the bolts are not too rusty. Spray them ahead of time with PB Blaster. If you do the bearings, you might want to consider getting some new dust shields as they tend to rust too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for all the comments. My hubs were definitely worn out; check the video out:

https://youtu.be/dj61uJaFndQ

I went ahead and installed a set of SKF VKBA 3661 hubs (focus application #).
SKF actually lists a different part # for the volvos: VKBA 6565. As far as I can tell they are the same, only that the volvo application comes with the speed sensor, and the ford one comes with a new screw and oring to reuse the old sensor.
I also found the old unbranded hubs didn't have recesses for the orings, so the sensors had been installed without them.
Oh, and I forgot to mention my car threw a traction control error message when hitting 160kph/100mph, long before the bearing noise issue. Probably due to the cheap hubs.

Some useful torque values for reference (taken from vida):

Caliper pins: 35 Nm
Caliper bolts: 70 Nm
Lower shock bolt: 115 Nm
Hub mounting bolts: 65 Nm

·
Registered
350 Posts
Wow, those were really shot! You may want to check the front ones as well.

Good thing you went with SKF. Can’t go wrong with them.

Also, props to you for doing the cross-reference research, Volvo parts are stupidly expensive over there. I witnessed it firsthand!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Wow, those were really shot! You may want to check the front ones as well.

Good thing you went with SKF. Can’t go wrong with them.

Also, props to you for doing the cross-reference research, Volvo parts are stupidly expensive over there. I witnessed it firsthand!

Good luck!

Oh no, should’ve went with FAG. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 8 of 8 Posts