SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my XC90 last week, they tried to sell me an FSM upgrade plan that costs $1,875. The plan includes the 40K and 50K scheduled maintenance, and extends the factory warranty an additional year (5 years/50,000 miles). It also covers wear items such as break pads, wiper blades, etc ... (tires are excluded). I told him I needed a few days to think about it, as it seemed kind of expensive. Is this something I should consider, or is it a total ripoff?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
My dealer (at the time anyway) was charging full retail for their plan and when you did the math it really wasn't worth it. If you can get this plan at a discount it might be.

·
Registered
130 Posts
We passed.

Pay now or pay later? Either way.... Then again, you may be paying upfront for something you'll never need to replace.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dealer (at the time anyway) was charging full retail for their plan and when you did the math it really wasn't worth it. If you can get this plan at a discount it might be.
My guy would not discount it. He said the price was set by Volvo.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I personally skip these add-ons. Dealers make their money with these types of things including the so called "GAP" insurance they always try to pedal. Like the previous post, you would be putting out money for something you may not need.

·
Registered
66 Posts
When I purchased my XC90 last week, they tried to sell me an FSM upgrade plan that costs $1,875. The plan includes the 40K and 50K scheduled maintenance, and extends the factory warranty an additional year (5 years/50,000 miles). It also covers wear items such as break pads, wiper blades, etc ... (tires are excluded). I told him I needed a few days to think about it, as it seemed kind of expensive. Is this something I should consider, or is it a total ripoff?
Depends like all good answers on how much you will be using the vehicle.
If you don't rack up too many kms on it/yr then its not worth it. If you do, then its worth it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I personally don't drive that much with it neither do I drive it hard to wear items like the brake pads quickly, so it wouldn't be of much use to me. Plus I also like other readers feel that this is where they also try to make their money.
Whats really crap is in other countries the car comes with a free maintenance plan but not here sadly!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whats really crap is in other countries the car comes with a free maintenance plan but not here sadly!!
Where do you live? In the US, the first three services (10K, 20K, and 30K) are included for free.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Where do you live? In the US, the first three services (10K, 20K, and 30K) are included for free.
Is it similar to BMW's No-Charge Scheduled Maintenance for a period of 4 years or 80,000 km?? Doesn't look like to me :(

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I've decided to pass.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What is the math for these? How do you know what each service will cost? Did you ask the service center what the cost is?

I have been contemplating getting the FSM, so I've called a few dealers in the region and have gotten different quotes from each, so there's definitely room to negotiate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts