SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to the caR scene and I am pretty stupid about auto self repair. In spite of that, and in spite of the SS warnings that these caRs are money pits. I bought an '04 SR MT last December with a shade over 50K miles. I had it checked out by two shops before I bought it and everything looked solid including the suspension. But in 8000 miles I've had my fair share of groaning and pops. Plus it has felt pretty goosey when I push it hard in the corners. A lot of side hop. A month or so ago I decided to refresh the suspension a bit (so I naively thought). I found a decent price on Eibach's and I also bought LCA's, ball joints and spring seats. Oh, and before I could have any of this work done, IPD had their big sale so I bought the track sways and endlinks. So I am already into a bunch of $$. Then... I took it to an indy to quote the price of install on all of the above. He showed me how bad my front struts were leaking. He suggested that what I really needed to do is replace the struts. All around. He thought I should do only struts and I would be happy. But I already have all the other components. So...I am essentially all in now. I bit hard and ordered a full round of 4C's from Rock Auto. I decided if I am going to do this, I will make sure that I get everything set in one full swing to minimize my shop cost. (I know, weird to say after I have spent so much on parts)

But I am having second thoughts about installing the lowering springs. I am getting some rubbing now. I have 18" pegs. The indy says that is due to the struts being shot, but is advising against the springs. Although I really like the stance of the lowered R's I see, and I already spent the $$ on the Eibach's, I am concerned that I won't be "done" with the suspension if I install the springs. That is, I will then have to buy spacers. And I probably will need the anti-camber rear bushings. And I may have to worry that my wife will tear up the front lip of my caR on parking curbs. And it will still rub.

So I am pretty much convinced that I want to do all of the above with the stock springs and sell the Eibach's. But I thought I'd post to get opinions.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Stick with your plans, sell the Eibach's and buy some TME's. I hear George at Viva performance should have some in stock real soon now. You will still need to be careful but the drop won't be nearly as large as the Eibachs. In fact a lot of folks report same front height but reduced rear rake when installing TME's (depends on what your stock ride height was).

I'm actually planning a suspension refresh next week, have everything in hand except for the springs...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Sucks to hear about your struts. There are several recent threads discussing options and pricing. I have to agree with your indie who suggested not installing lowering springs till you fix your blown struts, well, at the same time.
Ask wife to back into parking spots or to park where there are no curbs, or to park further from the curb. Also investigate the several solutions posted here where members have tied up the bottom of the front lip with straps, etc. to prevent catching on curbs.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Sounds like you have a good plan. Just stick to it and be patient and you'll get things where you want it. I haven't seen anything that can't be sorted out one way or another.

I have the Eibach's on a V70R. Yes it's low. But it's not like it is slammed or anything like that. It just looks like a nice aggressive ride height. I think that the stock springs are such soft garbage that you'll get the rear to droop pretty easily anyway with a little bit of load.

The R is already pretty low. You already need to be careful with the car and with the Eibach springs you need to be a little more careful. If your wife is going to tear up from the front end with the Eibach's then she'll tear it up stock as well. I had to stress to my wife that the nose of the car should not go over the curb ever. And I just repeated myself like a broken record until she finally told me to shut up. So far we've both been able to protect that nose.

The other area ground clearance may be a problem is certain parking lot entrance/ exits. There are a few thresholds that I just can't traverse. And there are others that will catch the underside of the car. This was a problem before and is more of a problem now. A buddy of mine has a 2002 T-Bird and has the same problem. It requires vigilance and awareness. When I'm unsure I don't attempt it. I have to admit that there has been a time or two where I actually had my wife get out of the car to see if I could clear and entrance and have had to turn back. This is not an everyday thing, but does happen occasionally.

This might all sound ridiculous as if I'm driving a Ferrari or something. If you don't want to deal with any of this then stick to the stock ride height. Even with the caution that muse be taken I'm still happy with the Eibach's. Honestly I would have gone with the TMEs but they weren't available at the time. I've found the ride quality to still be pretty good with the Eibach's. I have TME springs on two other non-R Volvos and the even though the R is lower the ride is much better.

In the case of the S60R I would worry about lowering the car in combination with the winglets and ground effects the car has. I know people who have trouble with the S60R at stock ride height.

Once you put in the Eibach's you may have other things to do. You are right about that. But it eventually ends. In my case I installed 5mm spacers and the IPD camber bushings. Next will be the TKi Motorsport Rear Toe Bars and with that my alignment should all be settled.

The TME springs might be a good compromise if you can get them. They don't lower the car as much as the Eibach's, but will improve the handled compared to the stock mattress springs.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Does anyone hve issues with aftermarket exhaust with the eibachs installed?

As in ground clearance ?

·
Registered
744 Posts
IPD has a 2004 V70R with Eibach springs and their oval tube cutback. I spoke to them about it and they said they haven't had any ground clearance issues.... YMMV with other exhaust systems.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
I say do it all with the Eibachs. You'll love it!!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I personally really like my Eibachs. No rub with 5mm spacers in front and rear. But I wanted more stance so I upped the rear spacers to 12mm. The ride is much improved over stock. I'd never go back.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Here's a shot of mine to give a sense for the ride height.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

My SR on TME's. I bought the TME springs because I heard they have the least drop but from what I can see from pictures they are really similar to eibachs. I haven't had any clearance issues and am really happy with the ride with the sways.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK. So I really like how your Rs look with your Eibachs and TMEs. I want to join you. But I don't understand how I have some rubbing with the stock springs and you guys don't with lowered cars. Is it all about the spacers? Or is my caR f'd up because of the struts?

·
Registered
744 Posts
It all depends on car, alignment, and tire choice. I don't recall any rub when my V70R was stock, but I got rub after I lowered. 5mm spacers made it go away except at full lock. When I switched to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, the rub went away entirely. Previously I had Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics.

FWIW my Dad has an S60R and it rubs with the stock suspension. He put on 5mm spacers and is fine now.

FWIW #2 My lowered S70 rubs all the time with the current wheels and tires. It's really no big deal. Rubbing in parking lot maneuvers is nothing to worry about. It's rubbing at highway speed that will spoil your day.

-Ted

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
My car would rub at full lock with the stock springs and my 18" pegs but not with my 17" pegs. Lowering has not made this worse. What kind of rubbing are you referring to?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My car would rub at full lock with the stock springs and my 18" pegs but not with my 17" pegs. Lowering has not made this worse. What kind of rubbing are you referring to?
At low speeds in a parking lot or driveway, I hear the rub at almost random times as I am moving slowly and turning the wheel. Left or right. Not necessarily at full lock. I wasn't even sure it was rubbing -- I thought it might be my PS pump. I checked that out. With the wheel off though I can see the rub marks on the inside fender liner.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
My SR on Eibachs

You'll need to be more careful on inclined driveways and entrances, especially if you have the sport kit.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Awesome!^

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Aftermarket springs are popular on the R for a reason, they make the car look and perform better. If you still rub after your new struts and springs are installed just put some spacers and extended lug bolts on , no big deal - the car looks better with the wheels pushed out more anyways. It truly would be a shame to see the struts replaced without taking advantage of everything being apart to throw some springs (and heavy duty IPD or XC90 spring seats) on there. My 2c.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Aftermarket springs are popular on the R for a reason, they make the car look and perform better. If you still rub after your new struts and springs are installed just put some spacers and extended lug bolts on , no big deal - the car looks better with the wheels pushed out more anyways. It truly would be a shame to see the struts replaced without taking advantage of everything being apart to throw some springs (and heavy duty IPD or XC90 spring seats) on there. My 2c.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
^^Well, springs plus sways makes for a rail like experience.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
^^Well, springs plus sways makes for a rail like experience.

:D just having some fun in the afternoon

btw, for the record, yes it does handle on rails - see my sig - OP just do it!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts