SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I guess they will work, but crosscheck with e.g.EBC Catalog, etc.

For exellent stopping power I have my orig.Brembo disks slotted, tempered and remachined, using EBC Yellow stuff pads!
Front DP41210R are equal to Subaru Impreza '02>, Misubishi Evo 05-10 '97>, Cadillac STS/CTS-V '04>,...
Rear DP41140R are equal Cadillac, Lotus Esprit 94-00, Ferrari 360/F430 '99>
With SteelFlex- lines and Pentosin Racing Fluid your R stops within 30m from 100km/h, even after several hard stops!
Besides you'ĺl have really long changing Intervalle and no dark burning spots in your rims 😉

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Are the brakes noisy using those pads for the other models? Not that I really care. I thinking warning people that you are approaching a crosswalk is a nice feature for brakes.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Just be careful when you're buying pads. The rotor thicknesses between different applications varies and you can't use certain applications on the Volvo. For example, the front rotors on our cars are 32mm thick- the WRX STI, Evo 7/8 rotors are 30mm thick. The pads won't fit, too thick. Same thing with the rears- a lot of those applications are for a 28mm rotor.

I've BTDT and had to actually sand pads down to fit, which is time consuming and I'd rather just get the right pads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you perform drilling correctly and before tempering, they stand even track-use easily.
Yellow Stuff is too aggressive for orig.Brembos!
They are noisy, but just for about 300-500 Miles breaking in...
Breaking is much more track-like after a certain point, before that point you won't realize any difference from normal city-cruising 😉

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just be careful when you're buying pads. The rotor thicknesses between different applications varies and you can't use certain applications on the Volvo. For example, the front rotors on our cars are 32mm thick- the WRX STI, Evo 7/8 rotors are 30mm thick. The pads won't fit, too thick. Same thing with the rears- a lot of those applications are for a 28mm rotor.

I've BTDT and had to actually sand pads down to fit, which is time consuming and I'd rather just get the right pads.
That's really good to know. I'm going to be due for pads and rotors soon and I had been eyeing the pads my STi-driving friends use.

I thought it was funny that the Evo X has smaller rear brakes.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I put Akebono Ceramic pads on my 04 V70R. Got them from IPD.

I absolutely LOVE them. ZERO DUST, and the initial bite (Cold OR Hot) is 5 times more responsive/aggressive than the OEM Volvo/Jurid pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
747 Posts
I put Akebono Ceramic pads on my 04 V70R. Got them from IPD.

I absolutely LOVE them. ZERO DUST, and the initial bite (Cold OR Hot) is 5 times more responsive/aggressive than the OEM Volvo/Jurid pads.

I don't know about 5 times more bite, but I love the zero dust. Clean wheels all the time....:cool:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I had akebono but returned them because they are extremely noisy. Volvo blue box pads are made by brembo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
861 Posts
Would go with Akebono but many reviews say they are very noisy.
I put Akebono pads on my car front and rear several years ago based on the reviews, mostly about no dust (which is accurate, thank goodness - the original Volvo pads were very dirty, had to wash the wheels 2x weekly) and haven't had any noise issues at all. I still have the factory original rotors, if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
The key with Akebonos is fully grease all the points that touch the caliper, and bed them in with two super hard stops from 60 mph, allowing them to cool between the two stops. I go to a local highway with very long off ramps, and just take one, brake as hard as I can, get back on the highway, and do it again 3-4 miles later. I've put them on 4 cars and have had zero noise, except the left rear on my C70 squeaks at parking lot speeds, so I need to re-grease it.

The other awesome benefit of Akebonos is they last a very long time. I had 60k on my T5 wagon brakes when I sold it and they were only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way worn down.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I had Akebono Euro Ceramic pads on the front for a while- they were so noisy that I ditched them well before they were worn through. No matter what I did- anti squeal paste, brake grease, re-bed the pads, scuff the rotors, etc. Nothing would get them to stop squealing. Maybe they work if you drive slowly and brake lightly, but they're not up to hard use. 60k on brakes? I get about 25k on pads.

Rotors definitely make a difference. I've used Volvo, Centric, and Raybestos rotors and the Raybestos were the worst. Switched to Brembo this time around. The Raybestos rotors seem to wear unevenly and be much more prone to brake squeal. I wonder if the runout was bad, because they really were not good- you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
861 Posts
The key with Akebonos is fully grease all the points that touch the caliper, and bed them in with two super hard stops from 60 mph, allowing them to cool between the two stops.
Good points. I neglected to mention this is what I did when I installed the Akebonos per forum recommendations at the time, so perhaps that's why I have no noise.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The Akebonos had no noise when I first installed them. I installed like the others mentioned, and bedded the pads in properly. But under hard use, they get hot and then start to squeal. In street use, not track use.

The OE Volvo pads don't do that.
Axxis Deluxe don't do that (but they are terrible in the rain).
Stoptech Street Performance squeal like crazy as well.
Hawk HPS are a little picky about being bedded in correctly, but they don't squeal under hard use, but are expensive.
Bosch Quietcast are weird- they are nice and quiet when brand new, but are prone to glazing under hard use. When they get glazed, they squeal. Then usually you can get them unglazed by driving gently for a while (cool the brakes), then brake hard and fast one time. That usually does the trick. But if you run them hard, they squeal once they get hot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts