SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Electronics swap betweeen 03 and 06. Need some info...

I have an 06 V8 that I am fixing and putting back on the road. It is pretty much a base model without much in the way of options. I just bought an 03 T6 with a bad trans basically because it had new tires on it and an alloy wheel which I'm missing. The 03 has many more gadgets in it that I might steal IF they work with my 06 radio system. It has a CD Changer and pop up nav (I know, but I have a different plan). Would these work on my 06? My gut says yes, but I know there was a major shift in radio stuff about that time.

Also, the 03 has a button in the center console that almost looks like power folding mirrors. Did these ever have that option? I pressed it and nothing happened, but you never know. I've had this car for half a day so far and it's going to the junkyard on monday.

BTW, I got it for 500 just for the new tires and a single Atlantis that I needed. AND OH YEAH! the cupholder cover latches and is not half sunfaded like ever other 90 I see!

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, update.

It does have a power folding mirror. Only the drivers side moves, is that normal or is the passenger side burned out? I'd like to swap that into my 06, is it a situation where I just need the switch and the mirror and the wiring is in place? Or will it not work at all?

The radio doesn't power on so I can't test the cd changer to see if its good or not. I know they are iffy, but until I save up for a new stereo I'm stuck with the factory stuff.

Also, how do I pop up the nav screen? I can't find a button for it. Does the radio need to be powered for it to work? My plan for the nav screen is to just use the pop up section and try to embed a tomtom unit in it if possible. I think that would be cool.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone?

Can somebody tell me this? Do the folding mirrors interface with the CEM? If so, I can't easily swap them.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Try and swap out a few things, see if it works. This car is software module based- many accessories are not just the hardware but software as well.

You're asking a lot about swapping stuff, my gut tells me if it's not a near direct PN level replacement much will not work but you never know. Give it a try.

As far as door mirrors, both are supposed to work if they work. Mirror interfaces with the DDM/PDM, then it's LS-CAN communication to the CCM for the button. CEM just provides the power.

See this link for a copy of VIDA- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?481385-VIDA-Dice-2014D-VM-Image-Download-Link , read the instructions on how get it loaded on a PC. Does not include wiring diagram but there lots of technical descriptions and you'll see from a functional perspective how this car was designed.

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as door mirrors, both are supposed to work if they work. Mirror interfaces with the DDM/PDM, then it's LS-CAN communication to the CCM for the button. CEM just provides the power.

Thanks. I'm going to pull the mirrors for sure. Last night as I was rolling up the windows I noticed if I pulled up on the drivers side widow switches, the passenger door came to life! LOL. The pass mirror folds just fine, but the poor connection is in the drivers switch panel.

I've been doing a ton of searching and it seems that not many people swap or modify these things. I'm normally over at turbobricks where everything is fair game. Looks like I'm on my own here.

From what I've found out the mirrors and button can be swapped but require a software update to activate. It seems that this has been done where people bought the mirrors new from Volvo or Viva, etc. Haven't seen anyone do it from one car to another.

Another thing I wanted was heated seats out of the parts car, but that's too big of a job for me and requires the CEM from the donor, which then I'm guessing has to be vin-matched to the recipient. That blows. I like heated seats.

I did pull the pop up screen, but the wiring does not exist in my 06 with premium sound. I will say when I pulled the center speaker in my premium system it was a nice speaker. Not Dynaudio, but a nicely made polymer framed woofer. The tweeter MAY have been Dynaudio, but it's hard to tell. It was made in Denmark though. Woofer just had a Volvo part number. I fired up the stereo and listened a little and I'm guessing that with a Grom unit I'll be happy with it.

I will be attempting to figure out how to use the pop up motor from the nav screen and embed either a GPS unit in it, OR a cheap android phone so I can do maps OR Torque App and have some digital gauges. I'm kinda leaning that way now.

Also, one other fun fact! I was moving the parts car around in my drive when I discovered something. 1st and 2nd gear is burned out in the trans, but if go to manual mode and get it into 3rd it'll drive around just fine! I took it around the neighborhood last night. lol I am a fan of the B6304, and this is the first time I've felt the twin turbo version. I liked it quite a bit. I may have to look into the T6 a little more once I get my V8 working properly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll just keep posting to this thread for those who are interested.

You can take the mirrors of VERY easily.

Pluck the sail panels (tweeter thing) off the door. It just pulls straight off.
Slip a putty knife or nylon bone tool (preferred) into the front edge of the door panel. You don't have to remove the whole panel. Just pop the front loose.
Reach in and disconnect the mirror harness. It's right at the front of the door. The panel will bend enough to get your hand in there.
Remove the single 13mm nut and pull the mirror off. Guide the harness out the hole.

Easy peasy.

Now for the switch in the center stack.

This is super easy! The bezel around those switches just pops off if you slide a nylon tool under the bottom and pry on it a little. The switches are just in IC sockets. Pull them straight out.

Put your tool here.

Not much force is needed. The face plate just pops off.

The switch sockets. Mix and match as you like.

Bezel replaced. I added the mirror fold switch and I moved the rear ac switch to the right side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts