SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who on here is running the ARD tune and how do you like it? Does anyone have direct experience comparing it to the IPD tune. I am looking for information about the general performance differences between the tunes, not so much trying to start a conversation about the total package pros and cons ie: ecu mailing, datalogging capability, price, customer service etc. Thanks

·
Registered
501 Posts
Keep in mind ARD is a new development so there are risks. Nonetheless I love the ARD tune very much- it feels more controlled and smoother than one with RIca. Haven't felt iPds though.

Customer service is great. I'm local to Lucky so there's benefit having him tweak as I go.

·
Registered
915 Posts
the only thing that stall me is the down time, removing the ecu is a pita. but I'm looking very forward to it, Lucky is awesome to deal with, IPD not so much.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
the only thing that stall me is the down time, removing the ecu is a pita. but I'm looking very forward to it, Lucky is awesome to deal with, IPD not so much.
I know that feel. I just got the IPD tune and have been having a few issues, including the data logging feature not working at all. Secondly, the max boost I have ever seen is 17 psi. It usually spools quickly to 14.7 just like stock then climbs to 17 psi for only a short time before shift. I have trouble believing it is a hardware issue on my side because the car performs beautifully on the stock tune. Ken at IPD hasn't emailed me back for about a week now and they have no answer to why this is happening.

I'm not passing judgment yet until they find an answer but this is where I sit right now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like more power lower in the rpms. As IPD advertises "under the curve". Skibum how early does the power come on? Stuntman and burg_855t keep us posted with your impressions

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
I have the ARD tune. I had my share of issues but it was something simple on luckys end. He fixed ASAP and got me back on my feet. My gas mileage on the highway is extremely close to 30mpg even in 50 degree weather.

The power is ridiculous. Not only is it smooth, but low end and high end is nuts. No more over boost or spikes for me. Solid boost in all gears right up to 18-19psi not 14.7 and slowly climbing. It's straight from 0-18 in no time.

Many people dis ARD as being new, no experience no marketing or what ever bull leaves their mouth...Lucky is a smart guy and he did me good. Should there be any issues(shouldn't be) he will correct it ASAP on his dime. Though you have to send away your ecu(November hopefully for soft loader) it is definitely cheaper.

I find it sad that you have to pay 900$+ and in some cases extra 100$ for this add on or 100$ for that add on. Now your tune is already a frickin G+. ARD sets one tune price for what you have, and I think that's what sets them apart.

Take what you want out of what I said, but I am 100% happy with my ARD purchase.

-Connor

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Any tune will give power, but an exhaust will give you even more power, especially from a stop which is where R's lack the most power.

I would be leery of installing ard tune as its so new.
I had the oppurtunity to see first hand the ARD tuning process. While ARD may be new the development and operation of it and the person doing it is not. I have IPDs Stg II tune tweaked by ARD, and after seeing my tune first hand displayed on table graphs I wouldn't hesitate to say that ARD is the way to go. You have the oppertunity to speak your wishes in what you want out of the tune to a guy who will understand you perfectly. He is in OR, so you aren't dealing with a tuner overseas, and I definately have faith in his ablility to create a tune that will meet the endusers highest standards.

As far as the exhaust if you do a stage 1 tune on the stock DP and exhaust you are choking performance down low as it is harder for the turbo to get going and then once it is flowing expect it to start choiking again about 5k RPMs.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I have the ARD tune. I had my share of issues but it was something simple on luckys end. He fixed ASAP and got me back on my feet. My gas mileage on the highway is extremely close to 30mpg even in 50 degree weather.

The power is ridiculous. Not only is it smooth, but low end and high end is nuts. No more over boost or spikes for me. Solid boost in all gears right up to 18-19psi not 14.7 and slowly climbing. It's straight from 0-18 in no time.

Many people dis ARD as being new, no experience no marketing or what ever bull leaves their mouth...Lucky is a smart guy and he did me good. Should there be any issues(shouldn't be) he will correct it ASAP on his dime. Though you have to send away your ecu(November hopefully for soft loader) it is definitely cheaper.

I find it sad that you have to pay 900$+ and in some cases extra 100$ for this add on or 100$ for that add on. Now your tune is already a frickin G+. ARD sets one tune price for what you have, and I think that's what sets them apart.

Take what you want out of what I said, but I am 100% happy with my ARD purchase.

-Connor
This is great news, thanks for sharing. If IPD is unable to get me on my feet I would definitely consider ARD! I emailed Lucky two weeks ago and he got back within 5 minutes. Emailed him again, and 5 minutes later another email. He even recommended calling him for the fastest possible service instead of playing email tag. Seems like outstanding customer service.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
This is great news, thanks for sharing. If IPD is unable to get me on my feet I would definitely consider ARD! I emailed Lucky two weeks ago and he got back within 5 minutes. Emailed him again, and 5 minutes later another email. He even recommended calling him for the fastest possible service instead of playing email tag. Seems like outstanding customer service.
WTF is his number lol he never gave it me !!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
4,280 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I've been juggling going with a IPD custom tune and ARD. I can't afford to send my ecu off so I was leaning towards IPD but ever since "someone" left they seem lost when it comes to tuning. I guess I'll just wait on ARD to finish the datalogging process.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I've been juggling going with a IPD custom tune and ARD. I can't afford to send my ecu off so I was leaning towards IPD but ever since "someone" left they seem lost when it comes to tuning. I guess I'll just wait on ARD to finish the datalogging process.
ARD's softloaders will be out soon...

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've literally been waiting for 4 months for ARD softloader... LOL!!!

1 - 20 of 196 Posts