SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Soooooooo

Heres how its going.

I purchased the ARD carbon tune with high hopes. Installed and right off the bat BAM over boost by crazy amounts. I have been in touch with Lucky and I still am currently

As far as my wastegate setting goes, it should be in the right area as far as what he wanted tune wise.
My tcv is the stock and tcv and is in perfect running order
My vac lines have no leaks
My boost pressure sensor is brandy new
No leaks in any of my pipes at all.

So the problem is as follows:
I am holding the set 18lbs of boost in 1st gear and 2nd gear.

Third-sixth gear hold 18lbs of boost 50% of the time. The other 50% is boosting way past 20 and that is when I back off for fear of very expensive failures.

So what is not making sense to me is what 1-2gears hold boost all day but 3-6 do not. Is there something I have not checked? Anywhere else to look as far as the boost spikes are going? Is my wastegate failing internally? any way to check that ?

I know people were praising lucky, and I know people were not happy with him just yet, so lets put that aside as far as this thread goes. I am just trying to get to the bottom of my boost spiking.

So if anyone has anything helpful to add to give me an idea of where to start im all ears

Thanks guys.

Other than that the car runs good, though it is mad slow with the wastegate so low. so I cannot see going any lower with the WG

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
how are you getting your wastegate psi settings?

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Oh ok.. Have you tried using the phuzzy tcv also?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
What's wrong with 20psi??

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
he said its jumping way past 20..

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used phuzzy tcv and it boosted even fast than stock past 20.
I have hit anywhere from 22-almost 30lbs which is absolutely not good.

IM at my wits end trying to work full time and get this thing working right. It seems to work every now and then for a pull or two.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I used phuzzy tcv and it boosted even fast than stock past 20.
I have hit anywhere from 22-almost 30lbs which is absolutely not good.

IM at my wits end trying to work full time and get this thing working right. It seems to work every now and then for a pull or two.
Dealer stock flash?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
he said its jumping way past 20..
But what's way past? After tunes, the TCV needs time to adjust; can't just go installing a tune for the first time then hit the road running. Even tuned, computer still learns, hell, sometimes when I switch tunes I forget to take it easy and I boost to 25-27 accidently, just eased off for the day or so and now I don't go past 22-23.

I think he is just shocked.

OP, give it a little time, drive around but not too hard - give it a few days then drive hard on 4th gear and see how that goes.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But what's way past? After tunes, the TCV needs time to adjust; can't just go installing a tune for the first time then hit the road running. Even tuned, computer still learns, hell, sometimes when I switch tunes I forget to take it easy and I boost to 25-27 accidently, just eased off for the day or so and now I don't go past 22-23.

OP, give it a little time, drive around but not too hard - give it a few days then drive hard on 4th gear and see how that goes.
i know it needs time to adjust but how long ? i drove around for about 4 days I believe and it was still over boosting?

So your saying a couple days with no hard accelerations? Ive had the tune in for about two and a half weeks now.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
But what's way past? After tunes, the TCV needs time to adjust...
Bull.
After I installed my custom TME tune it went to a perfect 19-20lbs in every gear right off the bat and ALL the time thereafter, it never faltered and it never changed

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
You need to dial back your wastegate by a 2-3psi, you will be underboosting at this point. Then slowly increase your wastegate setting while resetting the ECU each time until you can hold your desired boost levels. This will prevent the possibility of overboosting by setting your wastegate at the minimum setting to allow your engine to sustain your maximum boost level.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
This is exactly why the first thing I did was to get a second ECU and have Lucky backup my original factory tuning maps.

Soooooooo

Heres how its going.

I purchased the ARD carbon tune with high hopes. Installed and right off the bat BAM over boost by crazy amounts. I have been in touch with Lucky and I still am currently

As far as my wastegate setting goes, it should be in the right area as far as what he wanted tune wise.
My tcv is the stock and tcv and is in perfect running order
My vac lines have no leaks
My boost pressure sensor is brandy new
No leaks in any of my pipes at all.

So the problem is as follows:
I am holding the set 18lbs of boost in 1st gear and 2nd gear.

Third-sixth gear hold 18lbs of boost 50% of the time. The other 50% is boosting way past 20 and that is when I back off for fear of very expensive failures.

So what is not making sense to me is what 1-2gears hold boost all day but 3-6 do not. Is there something I have not checked? Anywhere else to look as far as the boost spikes are going? Is my wastegate failing internally? any way to check that ?

I know people were praising lucky, and I know people were not happy with him just yet, so lets put that aside as far as this thread goes. I am just trying to get to the bottom of my boost spiking.

So if anyone has anything helpful to add to give me an idea of where to start im all ears

Thanks guys.

Other than that the car runs good, though it is mad slow with the wastegate so low. so I cannot see going any lower with the WG

·
Registered
3,269 Posts

im jelous of your boost numbers!

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You need to dial back your wastegate by a 2-3psi, you will be underboosting at this point. Then slowly increase your wastegate setting while resetting the ECU each time until you can hold your desired boost levels. This will prevent the possibility of overboosting by setting your wastegate at the minimum setting to allow your engine to sustain your maximum boost level.
i am legit about 1 full rotation before my waste-gate rod comes apart lol. So the most i can do is maybe half a turn?

So your saying do that for a couple days and drive easy. Then Turn it up a quarter reset and drive a couple more easy days? etc etc until its back to where I want it ?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
i know it needs time to adjust but how long ? i drove around for about 4 days I believe and it was still over boosting?

So your saying a couple days with no hard accelerations? Ive had the tune in for about two and a half weeks now.
If you're driving around for 4 days and still over boosting, then you might still be driving it too hard. IDK. All I know is that I have the same symptoms as you did and what I said is what I did to make mine work.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
i am legit about 1 full rotation before my waste-gate rod comes apart lol. So the most i can do is maybe half a turn?

So your saying do that for a couple days and drive easy. Then Turn it up a quarter reset and drive a couple more easy days? etc etc until its back to where I want it ?
did you turn the wastegate all the way down before you had lucky tune your car? Or did you turn it down right now and are still overboosting?

1 - 20 of 190 Posts