SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 2005 V70R GT aka automatic 5 speed 164,500 miles at time of tune

Its been about 4 weeks since my flash.
Its been about 1000 miles since my flash.

Today 165,500 miles

Car had stage zero done, chasing for the 5000 miles before the flash
Car has these mods before the flash

• OBX downpipe
  • resonator delete
Purchased not installed yet, KN Filter and Snabb Intake

After the flash i got a Phuzzy TCV

Initial impression was wow, got tons of boost. then reality set in. Its boosting to 18psi and car is going fast. Yet it doesnt seem fast WTF? There must be something wrong.

Installed KN and Snabb about 500 miles ago. That didnt help, now all it was was noisier and thorttle response was faster. Thats good, heard the swoosh more now.

I kept thinking something is wrong with my car. Instead, i took a step back and had to relearn how i drove this car.

Before, to get the car moving i needed it to kick down a gear and build boost to 14psi stock.

Now, to get the car moving i just pressed on the pedal so it can build 18psi of boost.
Where i thought something was wrong was the car never kicks down anymore. POWER is available in the gear that i was in!!!! I didnt realize that.

Each gear you are in, now has a completly different power band. Where before you would need to kick down a gear, Now its all done with boost.
The last 200 miles with a upgraded TCV has been great. Boost seems more responsive and more steady.

You thinking about ARD? You thinking about Snabb? You thinking about downpipe? You thinking about HD TCV?

Think no more, these few items should cost you around $900 and give you a new level of enjoyment out of your R

Life starts at 18psi

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you saw the rig that lucky uses you will see the ecu never gets opened. He locks your ecu in and it reads and then the file gets updated from there.

165k, it's a baby still learning to walk. I honestly think and feel the car drives much better with the tune. as if it was caged up for the last 165I, and it has finally been released.

If you had as many volvos as I have you would not hesitate to do anything regardless of the miles. prime example, 2003 xc90 with the T6 engine :thumbdown: bought that at $6100 with 143k and sold it at 169k @ $8500 2 years later!

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

·
6,436 Posts
If you saw the rig that lucky uses you will see the ecu never gets opened. He locks your ecu in and it reads and then the file gets updated from there.

165k, it's a baby still learning to walk. I honestly think and feel the car drives much better with the tune. as if it was caged up for the last 165I, and it has finally been released.

If you had as many volvos as I have you would not hesitate to do anything regardless of the miles. prime example, 2003 xc90 with the T6 engine :thumbdown: bought that at $6100 with 143k and sold it at 169k @ $8500 2 years later!

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2
SO the reason why it's cheaper than the competitors is because it doesnt come with a softloader?

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Good review.. But why is 1st and 2nd feel limited? Do they not offer torque delete?

·
Registered
727 Posts
SO the reason why it's cheaper than the competitors is because it doesnt come with a softloader?
Yes for now. When the handheld comes out it will be more expensive, but im predicting low 700's which will still be 150 cheaper then both elevate, ipd, and rica. Not only that but you get amazing customer service and I guy who will respond to you within a couple hours during the work week!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Low overhead i suppose. or is it lower price point = more customers. ecu tuning is a money making machine.

Good review.. But why is 1st and 2nd feel limited? Do they not offer torque delete?
i mean limited is, limited to about 10psi. which is more than stock IIRC. on another note 1 and 2 go by really really fast :D its tough to notice it. LOL

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Low overhead i suppose. or is it lower price point = more customers. ecu tuning is a money making machine.

i mean limited is, limited to about 10psi. which is more than stock IIRC. on another note 1 and 2 go by really really fast :D its tough to notice it. LOL
hmm.. I was under the impression stock was 12... anyone else know?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
hmm.. I was under the impression stock was 12... anyone else know?
The boost is lower in 1st anyway regardless of tune, 2nd as well...IIRC
after that....I'm pushing 15 to 18(WOT) spiking at 20 /21....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well if you say so, it's all relative I guess. I wouldn't say that my tuned mt R's first two gears went fast let alone when it was stock but a torque limited gt @ 10 psi? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,495 Posts
Many GT cars have been running without torque limiting for a long time and I don't know that there have been any failures because of it.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
my silver car with the ipd stage 2 is hitting 21 pis in the first two gears and around 23ish in 3rd and up. Ard will be tuning the black car and retuning the silver car soon.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yes there have been
If there have been can you show me where? I have been searching and there are quite a few geartronics with the torque limiter removed and I haven't come across anyone with the torque limiter off stating they have had a transmission problem.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
confirmed today that 1st and 2nd gear will only do 10psi, but running thru 1 and 2 is really quick....then third gear is LONG.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
The Silver car that i own has 213,000 miles on it. It has had the Tq limiter off for over 200,000 miles with zero issue, and is still on the o.e. tranny. The miles on the car have also been very hard so i dont see any issues with the removal of the tq limiter at all.

·
Registered
915 Posts
:confused::facepalm:

Hey all,
Soooo I just got back from the first business trip of the week, like 45min ago. I took the R out to break in the ARD tune.. Ran UH MAZE ING, until it overboosted and fell into limp.
Does anyone know if the "hard reset" pulling the battery will imapct the tune? LIL help please before I waist the $$ by clearing the tune.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts